ADVERTISEMENT

What are you New Year's investing moves?

General Tso

HR Heisman
Nov 20, 2004
Anyone making any meaningful investment shifts to start the year? My highest mix always goes into market tracking ETFs but I've moved a lot more of my allocation into high yield savings for the time being. Seems the bottom is yet to come. (The total I'm allocating is probably peanuts by HORT standards)

My 401k is mostly S&P index shaded towards the aggressive side.

I buy a few shares of apple or Microsoft every month in an online brokerage account.

Not changing anything, I took all the pain and letting it ride is the only way to get it back.

Selling low isn’t a good idea.

Anyone making any meaningful investment shifts to start the year? My highest mix always goes into market tracking ETFs but I've moved a lot more of my allocation into high yield savings for the time being. Seems the bottom is yet to come. (The total I'm allocating is probably peanuts by HORT standards)
What's your preferred option for high yield savings?

What's your preferred option for high yield savings?
I just use Capital One's Performance savings acct. (Currently at 3.3%) You can find higher rates out there from more boutique providers but this one is just convenient since we do all of our banking through cap one

I was recently made a debenture holder at my firm, which pays prime minus 0.5% (currently 4.25%). I'll probably park my excess cash there for the foreseeable future.

I just use Capital One's Performance savings acct. (Currently at 3.3%) You can find higher rates out there from more boutique providers but this one is just convenient since we do all of our banking through cap one
Thanks, I have 3.3% as well through Ally. Have heard some at 4%. Haven't surveyed to see what else is out there.

Reactions: General Tso
Par for the course for me. Staying fairly aggressive across multiple instruments.

Did take advantage of a high yield special CD for a little bit of money that will be paying out in a few months for college tuition payments. Nothing major...just a few extra bucks on a zero risk option.

Reactions: lucas80
200w.gif

Reactions: St. Louis Hawk
Cash it all in. Vegas. Cocaine. Hookers. Roulette - bet it all on green.

Real answer - boring, move 10% of my money to solid dividend stocks (KO, HD, etc).

Keep remainder in aggressive growth.

Next few years, slowly start moving out of aggressive growth given my age.

Reactions: WadeLookingbill
Cash it all in. Vegas. Cocaine. Hookers. Roulette - bet it all on green.

Real answer - boring, move 10% of my money to solid dividend stocks (KO, HD, etc).

Keep remainder in aggressive growth.

Next few years, slowly start moving out of aggressive growth given my age.
I mean, they do say you can't take it with you to the afterlife

Reactions: St. Louis Hawk
My investment will be Having tonz of sex with my wife. This will yield a happy life

I'm going to be shifting some money from savings in order to fix my front bumper that dragged all the way to Nashville because I foolishly hit a snowbank and broke it. Or I could just keep the current zip ties in place that seem to be doing the job nicely. I'm not really sure which way to go.

As best as I can I have moved out of Europe and China. Hard to do, but I've moved out of the total China plays. Also hard to do, but I am trying to negate some of the tech volatility. I have excess cash into short term CDs. 4 percent for 4-6 months is very comfortable right now.

I'm going to be shifting some money from savings in order to fix my front bumper that dragged all the way to Nashville because I foolishly hit a snowbank and broke it. Or I could just keep the current zip ties in place that seem to be doing the job nicely. I'm not really sure which way to go.
Women drivers. Amarite!!

Reactions: hawkbirch

About 4 or 5 years ago, my wife lost a panel on the driver-side door of her Highlander on a trip to Kohler and Door County, Wisconsin.

It's still missing on the vehicle.

My advice is to either go the zip-tie route or the even cheaper option.........no front bumper at all. Either your pride is going to take a hit or your pocketbook.

We left our pride behind a long time ago. It's also possible we never had any to begin with.

• Love
Women drivers. Amarite!!
Chicks are crazy or so I've been told!
About 4 or 5 years ago, my wife lost a panel on the driver-side door of her Highlander on a trip to Kohler and Door County, Wisconsin.

It's still missing on the vehicle.

My advice is to either go the zip-tie route or the even cheaper option.........no front bumper at all. Either your pride is going to take a hit or your pocketbook.

We left our pride behind a long time ago. It's also possible we never had any to begin with.
I think I'm probably good with the zip ties for now until I finally get embarrassed enough to fix it.

Reactions: cfbfan23
Leave the zip ties on the car and invest the money you would have spent fixing your bumper in zip tie stocks.

The Universe is speaking to you.

Sticking with what I have. About half in Index funds. The other half in high yield preferred stocks, with a handful of other stocks where my long term gains are just too high to stomach the taxes.

Reactions: lucas80
Follow your instincts, hawk! Trust yourself!

One of the best investments for 2023 is ibonds. The prior 6 months was 9.62% return and now is 6.89% for the next 6 months. You can only put $10k per person at it but I don't trust that the stock market is going to recover anytime soon. Obviously, still do your normal investing buying low.

Agree on the CapOne Performance savings. I have that and AMEX HYS, AMEX usually follows CapOne and matches their rate after a few days / week.

I'm investing half of my money in low risk mutual funds and am taking the other half over to my friend Asadulah who works in securities... or I might just do two chicks at the same time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT