ADVERTISEMENT

What do Hawks need to do against N. Texas to give you confidence...

SeaBassWins

Team MVP
Dec 8, 2014
Just wanted some concise statements regarding what hawks need to do Saturday to give us confidence going into Wisky game.

Obvious responses like win don't cut it for me, to me the hawks need to score in the 40's and keep them to less than 14 while the starters are playing. IMO, Hawks will need more offense then they've shown in previous three games to have a chance at wisc.

Just wanted some concise statements regarding what hawks need to do Saturday to give us confidence going into Wisky game.

Obvious responses like win don't cut it for me, to me the hawks need to score in the 40's and keep them to less than 14 while the starters are playing. IMO, Hawks will need more offense then they've shown in previous three games to have a chance at wisc.

Good thing we will have Duzey back to maybe meet your standards on offense vs Wiscy.

Run up the score enough for the 2nd stringers to play the entire 4th quarter and for DMX/Wadley to get 10 carries between them. Also, seeing some young receivers get catches to see what they can do

I am not impressed with Wisconsin, they got hammered by what looks like an Alabama team with a lot of issues. This is a pick 'em game because it's in Madison though.

In order to make me more confident than I already am, the Hawks would have to win by about 30+ (i.e., cover the spread).

However, I don't think there's much the Hawks can do to materially change my opinion unless they lose and/or have key injuries.

The team has looked good so far and they have enough good players to beat Wisconsin on the road. I would give Wisconsin a 60/40 advantage at this point, and even if Iowa wins by less than 10 against North Texas, that would not change my opinion much since we have seen some great teams under Ferentz struggle against some bad teams. Alternatively, if Iowa obliterates North Texas by 50, then I think that will say more about North Texas than it will Iowa.

win convincingly and rest the players. I want to be in a comfortable enough lead early enough that Tyler Weigers gets to make some throws and get valuable experience. Dan McCarney and Ferentz are friends and coached together so I doubt he runs up the score just to run up the score

I am not impressed with Wisconsin, they got hammered by what looks like an Alabama team with a lot of issues. This is a pick 'em game because it's in Madison though.
IMO, the fact that Bama looks suspect doesn't necessarily bode well for hawks. Time will tell.

In order to make me more confident than I already am, the Hawks would have to win by about 30+ (i.e., cover the spread).

However, I don't think there's much the Hawks can do to materially change my opinion unless they lose and/or have key injuries.

The team has looked good so far and they have enough good players to beat Wisconsin on the road. I would give Wisconsin a 60/40 advantage at this point, and even if Iowa wins by less than 10 against North Texas, that would not change my opinion much since we have seen some great teams under Ferentz struggle against some bad teams. Alternatively, if Iowa obliterates North Texas by 50, then I think that will say more about North Texas than it will Iowa.
Vegas has it as wisc 80/20 advantage as of now.

I am hoping for a stronger pass rush. I don't think we'll show much offensively or defensively. Pretty vanilla with schemes. I am also looking for Duzey to show what he can do.

Good thing we will have Duzey back to maybe meet your standards on offense vs Wiscy.
Not sure what you mean by my standards, generally my standards are pretty low, but if you think hawks beat wisc 24-17, i think you're wrong. IMO, hawks will need at least 30 - 35 points to win against wisc.

I do not think those on the fence and are still hesitant will feel any differently even if we beat N Texas by a lot, which is understandable. So far we have done what we should do, ILL State was a good FCS but still FCS, we won that game pretty easily, ISU always plays up for our game and we pulled through and won in a hostile environment, and played a good, not great, ACC team and overcame a ton of adversity. It is obvious this team has some moxy, but I think if we win at Wisconsin there will be few on here that can say this team is not a better than expected team. I think this game has potential to be much closer than the point spread b/c it is what many consider a "trap game"....after an emotional win and Wisconsin next up this could have the making of a sloppier game than expected.....just get the win and keep everybody healthy...I mean if you watched this Saturday, some of the higher ranked teams in the country struggled to pull away from non P5 conference teams

I want to see Wadley and Mitchell carrying the ball mid-way through the 3rd Qtr. I want to see Tyler Wiegers play at least the entire 4th Qtr. I would like to see the 3rd teamers in the 4th Qtr.

Confidence boost? Not sure one is needed. We have a close-knit team with a knack for finding ways to win (so far). I like them and have confidence in them. I really just need them to survive without suffering something that will affect our chances going forward (e.g. a loss, or a key injury). Something like that will cost confidence, but I don't think there's confidence to gain. What would pounding North Texas tell us that we haven't seen already?

Given the last two emotional weeks and the game coming up, it will be very difficult to be fully focused mentally and I expect we'll have a tougher fight than we want. Given that, a blowout win would be impressive. Confidence building, though? I don't foresee it.

Confidence boost? Not sure one is needed. We have a close-knit team with a knack for finding ways to win (so far). I like them and have confidence in them. I really just need them to survive without suffering something that will affect our chances going forward (e.g. a loss, or a key injury). Something like that will cost confidence, but I don't think there's confidence to gain. What would pounding North Texas tell us that we haven't seen already?

Given the last two emotional weeks and the game coming up, it will be very difficult to be fully focused mentally and I expect we'll have a tougher fight than we want. Given that, a blowout win would be impressive. Confidence building, though? I don't foresee it.

Was only considering fan confidence. I am glad to hear you think or know that the team will be confident no matter what happens. How much confidence will you have if hawks win by seven scoring late in the fourth quarter?

Not sure any outcome will translate into confident expectations for the trip to Madison. And of course my confidence or lack of, will have no affect on the outcome against Wisconsin.

The outcome in Madison will tell a lot about this team.

Reactions: HawkeyeinOmaha
For me, a game where we aren't having to score points in the 4th quarter to win would be good. Along with this would be the obligatory requirement that we don't have any injuries. I think CJ, Drew, and LeShun could all use a bit of a break after the last couple of games. Our depth should be sufficient to manage the UNT game, but I don't want to have to rely on backups at those key positions going into a game at Wisconsin. And no, I'm not saying Canzeri is a "backup", but the way he throws his body around, I don't want him playing every down.

I see you have posted 120 times with no likes......I can see why
Harsh.

My own response would be that we are going to playing some good teams, and at least some of them will play well against us. Northwestern, for example, is almost always a tough matchup for us, and they will be looking for blood this year. So I wouldn't say that only KF and injuries stand between us and 12-0.

3/4 last games in Madison have been dubs.

Last edited:
Very comfortable margin at half (21 points or more) and a healthy team. Good guys by 30

I think we need to see a more dominant performance in the run game. We have showed that we can pass and I think Kirk will want to rest his guys and run the clock down if at all possible. I think if we have 250+ rushing yards and can have the 2nd team in for the 4th quarter - mission accomplished. I don't know if that will make me confident going into Wisconsin, but some better rushing numbers will make me feel like we can be more balanced against Wisconsin

I want to see the O execute at a high level - very few squandered drives with the starters playing. I want to see young guys get worked a bit more into the O as well ... not just as second teamers.

For example, I want to see Mitchell see quality downs on 3rd down - that way he'll more prepared when facing Big 10 opposition.

I'd like to see Jerminic Smith get a few targets - to establish him a little bit more as a receiving threat. Not only would it force defenders to work harder - but it would also boost his confidence.

I'd like to see some 2 and 3 TE looks, with the TEs getting some greater depth in their routes. Not every D is going to be able to harass Beathard like Pitt ... it will be nice to make Ds pay for giving him time.

I want to see the D continue to make progress against the pass. We've currently still given up too many pass TDs. I'd like to see the safeties and the LBs defend the TEs a little bit better.

Let's face it. North Texas is not Wisconsin and beating them by some arbitrary number doesn't mean they will be any more successful at Madison. I would prefer to see them dominate and see the backups get some playing time, but I don't care about beating the point spread. Most importantly, no major injuries. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see KF take his foot off the gas.

Reactions: Hawk Supreme
1. Cover the spread. This is essential...

2. Get the reserves a good number of competitive downs. Like to see if Scheel should have been a four star.

1. Win by a comfortable margin.
2. Come up with some schemes to give Wisky something else to prepare for whether we use those schemes or not.
3. Get thru the game with zero injuries and plenty of reps for Duzey should he get back for this game.
4. Get the backups in early and often. Rest our starters and help build our depth and experience with our backups. You never know, some of them could surprise.

I'm hoping for a Haydenesque 56-7 kind of ass kicking. 35-0 at the half and 2nd & 3rd stringers get major playing time. Its how programs are built.

I already have confidence in this team. If they win 7-3 or 55-0 I will have confidence in this team against Wisconsin. Not sure if that cuts it for you but that's the truth.

Run up the score enough for the 2nd stringers to play the entire 4th quarter and for DMX/Wadley to get 10 carries between them. Also, seeing some young receivers get catches to see what they can do

I like this answer we have some game breakers that we just cant trust yet to get into the game. Like them to get some quality reps.

Was only considering fan confidence. I am glad to hear you think or know that the team will be confident no matter what happens. How much confidence will you have if hawks win by seven scoring late in the fourth quarter?
I don't understand your reply. I was indeed talking about fan confidence.

For the seven point win scoring late in the fourth quarter? It's very hard to say without knowing the context and flow of the game. I will assume, for the argument, that we're not in that situation because of a QB injury or something like that (since a health hazard would be a separate question, I think). If the context is that the team plays flat because of the down opponent and gets McCarney'd, but still grinds out a victory . . . I would have the same confidence. This would still be a team that's not dazzling, but finds ways to win. Winning when you play your worst is a good situation to find yourself in.

I would like to see the Hawks execute better in the areas that need improvement, and fine-tune everything else.

Wisconsin sucks and there's nothing that Iowa could do this week to shake my confidence in potential victory there, other than a significant injury or 2.

This has letdown game written all over it after 2 emotional gut-check performances that went down to the very last play. This has the feel of that Missouri State a few years back where a pretty good Iowa team eked out a game that was 21-14 midway through the 4th Q with MSU driving inside the redzone. I would be fairly surprised if Iowa has enough gas left in the tank to completely throttle the Mean Green, especially considering the fact that McCarney will have them whipped into a frenzy to play the Hawks.

And frankly, a somewhat lackluster performance would almost make me feel better heading into one of the most significant games in years as opposed to watching this team blow their emotional wad for the 4th week in a row. There can only be so much gas in the tank, people.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT