ADVERTISEMENT

What do Hawks need to do against N. Texas to give you confidence...

I want to see the Hawks dominate the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. Run at will and dictate what they try to do. Then, come out of the game healthy.

Never underestimate a trap game and McCarney's personal investment in beating Iowa. Just hope the players are ready to go.
Outlast whatever McCarney has in store for the first half, and hopefully find a comfortable win--without injuries.

I'm not sure North Texas is good enough for a huge margin to show the team is better than what we already think it is. On the other hand I won't panic if we win by 10 or 14 points and commit a couple turnovers. Every college team seems to have a lousy game every now and then and it's ok for them to "get it out of their system" and still get a win.

Was only considering fan confidence. I am glad to hear you think or know that the team will be confident no matter what happens. How much confidence will you have if hawks win by seven scoring late in the fourth quarter?

It won't make one bit of difference the next week against Wisconsin. If I were a betting man, I would wager that Iowa will have a somewhat uneven effort against North Texas this week. Coming off 2 straight emotional games where the result was in doubt in the fourth quarter, I wouldn't be shocked at all if the score at halftime was 14-10 or 17-10 or something like that. And that wouldn't mean that Iowa stinks or the coaches don't care or whatever. No team can get emotionally really up 12 times a season.

As long as Beathard stays healthy (and the rest of the team) and Iowa wins, everything else is gravy. In an ideal world, Mitchell and Wadley get some carries, Wiegers gets some snaps, Jerminic Smith catches a pass, Matt Nelson makes a few plays at d-end and guys like Joshua Jackson get more time. But those are all gravy.

Win, get to 4-0 and get ready for a heavyweight match in Madison the following week.

There is not a team left on the schedule that the Hawks can't beat.

In my opinion the only thing preventing the Hawks from 12-0 is KF and injuries.

The ONLY thing is KF and injuries? I would agree that there isn't a team left on the schedule that Iowa can't beat. But most/all of the remaining games the talent level is so even that there there are likely to be lots of games where the outcome is in doubt into the fourth quarter. You just don't win all the close games.

If Iowa can take care of North Texas, things set up well for Iowa go to 9-3 or better, and with breaks even better than that. But no team in Iowa history has gone 12-0, even the great ones like the 1985 squad or the 2009 team (both of which were much more talented than this Iowa team).

I would like to see Hesse start, Wadley get about 6 carries without a turnover, and the new wideouts get some gametime snaps. I don't want to see injuries, I don't want to see King returning punts for that reason, and I don' t want to see a struggle to run the ball.

Get Tyler some snaps and get the other backups enough snaps to have some meaningful film to teach from.

You guys are all saying what you want, but would that result change your confidence level vs. playing Wisconsin this week?

You guys are all saying what you want, but would that result change your confidence level vs. playing Wisconsin this week?

For me, yes. They played far from perfect all 3 games. The idea is (for instance my desired result) if we get the result we want, the needle is moving up...they are improving. Because they will have to play their best game of the year (so far) to beat Wisconsin at their place. Not a perfect game...but better than they have played so far.

Just wanted some concise statements regarding what hawks need to do Saturday to give us confidence going into Wisky game.

Obvious responses like win don't cut it for me, to me the hawks need to score in the 40's and keep them to less than 14 while the starters are playing. IMO, Hawks will need more offense then they've shown in previous three games to have a chance at wisc.
Run the ball really well with guys whose PRIMARY role is running with the football. That'd be priority 1.

Secondly, it'd be nice to see a few "homerun" type plays, either in the passing game or the running game as we've been kinda bereft of those through three games, and that lack is probably the most concerning thing for Ol' Doodle regarding the offense. We certainly seem to be able to methodically march downfield with the short and intermediate passing game and a solid, if not particularly spectacular running game.....but against this caliber of opponent, we need to see the RBs ripping off 30+ yard runs, and the receivers breaking open for big gains on at least a semi-regular basis. We really only have about 3 truly memorable long completions this year so far (where the ball traveled far in the air, not where it was completed for 9 yards and then added 30 YAC).

So those things would be nice.

And on the defensive side:
1) Pressure on the opposing QB with just the base front four
2) Pressure on the opposing QB with just the base front four
and then
3) Pressure on the opposing QB with just the base front four

Oh, and also, you know, covering the TE a little better would be nice. LBs still seem to be sorta working out the kinks on reading and reacting to the run/pass keys for the TE.

Reactions: icu81222
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT