ADVERTISEMENT

What does Stanley need to do to be a 1st rounder?

Bohawk

HB All-State
Oct 1, 2001
Overland Park, KS
He's in most conversations of being one of the top QB's in the draft next year. Guys like Tu, Fromm, Herbert are all at the top, but Stanley is in that "next tier" and it's not unreasonable to think he could move up. Completion percentage needs to improve, less brainfarts (see Penn State), etc., but his measurables, arm strength, character...man I'd love to see it. Can it happen?

Rotoworld says:
6. Nathan Stanley (Iowa) | 6’3/243
I’ve had a ton of exposure to Stanley, but he’s still extremely difficult to rank because he’s not yet a finished product. I could see him ending the season as high as QB3; I could also see him going undrafted in the spring.

https://www.rotoworld.com/article/evaluations/top-15-2020-nfl-draft-qb-rankings?page=1

And i don't really care what you think about rotoworld...it was the first site i pulled up.

I think this was a thread 3 months ago.

35 TD’s and be considered the “star” of the offense on a 11+ winning team.

Reactions: ctghawk
I think this was a thread 3 months ago.

35 TD’s and be considered the “star” of the offense on a 11+ winning team.

My apologies. I only searched back to June to see if this thread had been started, but i appreciate the response. That'd be quite the season and I agree, that would do it, but i don't think it would take that much.

1. Needs to improve accuracy, especially medium and deep balls
2. Somehow he has to get better at "escapability"
3. He will need to generate some big plays and/or come from behind moxie to help separate himself

Worst Case (excluding injury): 7th Round
Most Likely: 5th Round
Best Case: 2nd Round

I just dont think he has the elite athleticism or moxie to move into the 1st round. would love to be wrong.

IMO if he was first round material we'd have known last year.

Hope he has an awesome year and heck his measurables could get him drafted high.

3. He will need to generate some big plays and/or come from behind moxie to help separate himself
That is a fairly accurate assessment.

I still can't get that overthrow of Hockenson at Penn State off my mind when I think of Stanley. TJ was 15 yards beyond any defender running wide open down the middle of the field in what was a sure TD and Nate threw the ball 10 yards over his head. I still can't explain it (except maybe nerves?) because it was a beautifully executed play-action fake and Nate was not under serious pressure. Iowa was ahead 14-7 at the time (late 2nd IIRC) - would have been a huge, huge step toward victory.

Stanley must be much more consistent to earn a high draft spot IMO so your #1 is what the pro scouts will be most watching, I suspect. He has some weapons at WR now so its on his shoulders to make the plays. I've given up on "escapability". Just make the clutch throws.

For Stanley to have a shot at first round, he would need to be at 65% completion percentage, throw for 30+ TDs with 7 or less INTs, and Iowa would need to win the B1G West.

Remember every year more QBs are taken in the 1st round than expected. That being said, I think he is likely a 3rd or 4th round guy, 2nd round at best.

Stanley can definitely get there. He has incredible measurables and weight room numbers that will have the eyes of NFL scouts. He also has a lot of really good tape. Admittedly he has some really bad or mediocre tape out there too. But if he has a BIG senior year he could get to the top.

It would take 35+ TDs, 4000 yds passing, 5 or fewer picks, and the team needs a CFP run along with him coming up big in several 4th qtr drives. He would also need a PFF grade in the 90’s. Do all that and he’ll be a top 10 pick.

His draft position has much more to do with his measurables and workout showings than his stats in his final season of college football, IMO. Talent gets found regardless of the program attended or statistics accumulated.

Reactions: ZJSARENOTFREE
His draft position has much more to do with his measurables and workout showings than his stats in his final season of college football, IMO. Talent gets found regardless of the program attended or statistics accumulated.

I would typically agree but I think Stanley has the measurables and arm strength. He has shown he can handle a pro style offense, he has played plenty of games, he has had big games against top competition. He simply needs to put it all together.

Having great numbers is proof that he has put it all together.

I just dont think he has the elite athleticism or moxie to move into the 1st round. would love to be wrong.
I still remember the TD pass he threw against OH State with a D-Lineman hanging onto his leg.

BTW, how many times has he been sacked in the past 2 years?

"2. Somehow he has to get better at "escapability"

Iowa was the least sacked team in the Big Ten last season

Iowa had 16 sacks against them in 13 games.
Northwestern (the team to beat) had 36 sacks against them
Ohio State had 23 sacks against them

that is a bit surprising, but good find. I still believe individually that is not a strength of Nate's.

Reactions: citizenHawk

Add not lock on to one WR and hold the ball forever to take a stupid sack.

Reactions: BirdistheWord
Stanley has all the measureables.

I think it will come down to his completion percentage outside the hashes, and his ability to throw deep accurately.

Reactions: Wadzinator
That is a fairly accurate assessment.

I still can't get that overthrow of Hockenson at Penn State off my mind when I think of Stanley. TJ was 15 yards beyond any defender running wide open down the middle of the field in what was a sure TD and Nate threw the ball 10 yards over his head. I still can't explain it (except maybe nerves?) because it was a beautifully executed play-action fake and Nate was not under serious pressure. Iowa was ahead 14-7 at the time (late 2nd IIRC) - would have been a huge, huge step toward victory.

Stanley must be much more consistent to earn a high draft spot IMO so your #1 is what the pro scouts will be most watching, I suspect. He has some weapons at WR now so its on his shoulders to make the plays. I've given up on "escapability". Just make the clutch throws.

Yeah if that play is made Iowa likely wins that game somewhat comfortably. Iowa to that point in the game was ahead by just 7 points despite Penn State twice snapping the ball over the head of the punter, and Iowa running a fake FG for a touchdown. If either of the punt snaps just stays in the field of play Iowa maybe get 7 points from each one (at a minimum 3 points). Not many games where the opponent botches 2 punts, you run a fake FG for a TD, return an interception for a TD and still don't win the game.

My stance toward Stanley has changed a bit. He's a good QB with a chance to be great if he can increase his "awareness," which is hard to define but you know it when you see it. Some guys just have it and others either don't or it takes longer to come out. Tate had it in spades. So did Beathard. If Iowa is to have a really good year, they will need the QB to make some big plays in close games.

Reactions: Hawk94Mn and nu2u
"2. Somehow he has to get better at "escapability"

Iowa was the least sacked team in the Big Ten last season

Iowa had 16 sacks against them in 13 games.
Northwestern (the team to beat) had 36 sacks against them
Ohio State had 23 sacks against them

Oof. I can't imagine being a Northwestern QB and thinking "Yup, I'm statistically going to be sacked 3 times this game"

Oof. I can't imagine being a Northwestern QB and thinking "Yup, I'm statistically going to be sacked 3 times this game"

As good as Iowa's defense was last year, they were only able to come up with 2 sacks against NW. One of them was by a defensive back too.

As good as Iowa's defense was last year, they were only able to come up with 2 sacks against NW. One of them was by a defensive back too.
Held NW to 300 yards. 15/30 passing, 2INT.
So we played coverage well, and rushed 4. It was ice cold. I can’t imagine that’s conducive to generating more sacks.

Reactions: BurgHawk87
So we played coverage well, and rushed 4. It was ice cold. I can’t imagine that’s conducive to generating more sacks.

True. It wasn't poor defense that cost Iowa the W, it was poor offense. 10 points isn't going to cut it 90% of the time.

I’m a heck of a lot more interested in what he has to do to stay focused and win games in college than what kind of rookie NFL contract he’ll be getting. If the Hawkeyes win 11+ games this year, I couldn’t care less if Stanley played in the arena league or sold cars at billion auto in 2020.

I’m a heck of a lot more interested in what he has to do to stay focused and win games in college than what kind of rookie NFL contract he’ll be getting. If the Hawkeyes win 11+ games this year, I couldn’t care less if Stanley played in the arena league or sold cars at billion auto in 2020.
Right, the most important thing is that the team succeeds and finally beats teams like Wiscy and NW. The better the team does the better it will be for Nate.

Reactions: mrF6n6

Being ice cold would make me move a hell of a lot faster than it being hotter than hell out.

True. It wasn't poor defense that cost Iowa the W, it was poor offense. 10 points isn't going to cut it 90% of the time.

Hard to get yards when you fumble it away. And Nate didn't make the call to keep Fant out in the NW game.

Right, the most important thing is that the team succeeds and finally beats teams like Wiscy and NW. The better the team does the better it will be for Nate.
Maybe for post-season accolades but not for draft position.

I'm hoping he'll have to do nothing new and that this crop of WRs make it happen for him. But yes, he's got the measurables which is at least half the battle, if he makes 3-4 clutch throws during the year in big games, that would help too.

Acquire more talent, more fleet of foot and more accurate.

Third round draft pick, play in NFL couple of years then out

he has no chance. He isn't mobile enough, struggles under rush and has no deep ball accuracy. Sorry, but one of the most overrated Iowa qb's I've ever seen. Reminds me of Nathan Chandler.
Right, good evaluation there. So the guy has a good chance of going down in Iowa lore with the most TD's, and an outside chance at most yards, over a consensus 1st team AA, heisman runner up who started 4 years too Stanley's 3, and yet there is nothing of substance to his game? He plays in an offense that everyone complains doesn't throw the ball enough and yet he's thrown more TD's in the last two seasons then pretty much every non heisman winner in college football, but he can't hit the side of a barn, correct?:confused: Does he need to improve on his accuracy? YES, but we've also seen the kid make some TD passes that very few guys, even many in the league probably can't make. Go back and look at the OSU, and ISU games from his soph year. He can make some throws that simply can not be taught.... but carry on......

Reactions: cmhawks99
What does Stanley need to do to be a 1st rounder?

3 words: Neil Cornrich.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT