ADVERTISEMENT

What happened to Special Teams Trickery?

87alum87

All-Conference
Aug 28, 2009
Dahinda, IL
During the Stanley years, Iowa ran several successful trick plays from punt and field goal formations. But, they haven't been using them during the era of terrible QB's.

Will there be any this year? Woods mentioned the new punter can throw and has a arm on him. That makes me think tricks await.

I'm hoping they come first in the Shoe, and catch OSU by surprise for a score.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Beattheohiostate
The last trick play i remember was Kaeding (while an incredible fg kicker) getting ball from the holder and his 5.6 40 speed failed to get the first down.
They did a fake field goal with Kaeding vs tOSU that he ran in for a td with a major hold not called by Zerron Flemeister. It was such a bad hold, not sure how it was missed. I believe call you are referring to Daniel Murray in the Orange Bowl vs GT that was stopped short of a first down.

Reactions: hawkinarkansas
Yeah i think I remember swinging gate but maybe that was more just to try to get the other team to waste a timeout

This was Iowa's best trick play in the past 5 years!

200.gif

The last trick play i remember was Kaeding (while an incredible fg kicker) getting ball from the holder and his 5.6 40 speed failed to get the first down.
Really? Where have you been? OSU the fake field goal throw back to the snapper, who unfortunately fell down a couple of yards from end zone glory, maybe the first snapper to score a TD. We did score after. In the same game our punter ran a fake (all on his own) and got tackled before he made the first down. Kirk was PO'd on that one. We've run a few other fake kicks as well. The fake run and pitchback to Petras who threw the ball to a wide open fullback in the endzone but fullback was running backwards facing the ball and lost his balance where he couldn't get up and catch it. That was in the 2021 B1G championship game and would have put us up 10-3 on Michigan late in the first quarter. Some momentum anyway.

Reactions: 2bagger22
They did a fake field goal with Kaeding vs tOSU that he ran in for a td with a major hold not called by Zerron Flemeister. It was such a bad hold, not sure how it was missed. I believe call you are referring to Daniel Murray in the Orange Bowl vs GT that was stopped short of a first down.

Zeron graduated after the 1999 season, Kaeding scored in 2003 so I can see why they'd miss him holding on that play :D.

Last edited:
During the Stanley years, Iowa ran several successful trick plays from punt and field goal formations. But, they haven't been using them during the era of terrible QB's.

Will there be any this year? Woods mentioned the new punter can throw and has a arm on him. That makes me think tricks await.

I'm hoping they come first in the Shoe, and catch OSU by surprise for a score.

Thoughts?
Those had to be LeVar specials no? FSU ran a Hockensen like 2 point conversion play yesterday. I think TJ took a direct snap vs. Minny in 2018 in for a TD. Polecat vs OSU, Murray fake FG Orange Bowl and Keading vs OSU all come to mind. Then, did we attempt to throw a pass to Richmond last year? That's the epitome of Iowa, trying to throw to an OL that has a broken leg, so Iowa...I guess we did throw a 2 point conversion to Brincks vs PSU as well.

Those had to be LeVar specials no? FSU ran a Hockensen like 2 point conversion play yesterday. I think TJ took a direct snap vs. Minny in 2018 in for a TD. Polecat vs OSU, Murray fake FG Orange Bowl and Keading vs OSU all come to mind. Then, did we attempt to throw a pass to Richmond last year? That's the epitome of Iowa, trying to throw to an OL that has a broken leg, so Iowa...I guess we did throw a 2 point conversion to Brincks vs PSU as well.
Didn't AJ also get a pass on a 2pt play?

Didn't AJ also get a pass on a 2pt play?
Now that you say that, yes, don't recall which game. Also, a tremendous call and play was the punt reverse that Big Brett called for Iowa back in 2001 vs. Michigan that CJ Jones took in for 6. Could also be the game that Mich WR torched us and we got beat at the end....I remember some crazy 1 handed catch for a TD.

In 1982 vs Illinois, Fry ran a ton of exotics in the 1st Half and they all worked. Great fricking game. One of my all time favorites.

In 2001 vs MI, Iowa ran a reverse punt or kickoff for a TD.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigOHawk
Remember 2015ish in Ames right before halftime when he had Marshall Koehn try to take it on a fake FG and they were a ways out? They didn't make it, but that was the point where I felt confident Kirk felt that one would be under control in the 2nd half.

Reactions: BigOHawk
Remember 2015ish in Ames right before halftime when he had Marshall Koehn try to take it on a fake FG and they were a ways out? They didn't make it, but that was the point where I felt confident Kirk felt that one would be under control in the 2nd half.
Yep, another good one...IIRC was Illinois State as well.

Wasn't Tory Taylor's first-ever football game also his Hawkeye debut? His football inexperience would limit LeVar's options regarding fakes, at least for Taylor's first couple of seasons.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT