ADVERTISEMENT

The Athletic article on Iowa

Yes, Brian needs to go but Kirk's style of Defense, good special teams play and conservative (pick your opportunity football) still works. That is why they are a top 20 team in wins over the past 10 years.

Heck, many Hawk fans don't like it either but it works. ...
But it DOESN'T work against other top teams, it just doesn't. Respectfully, I think you are dead wrong to assert that it does. Yes, it can work much of the time, but that is only v. other mediocre and lesser teams. (Say thanks to the FB gods that Iowa is in the B10 West, which is mostly comprised of other fair to middlin' teams over the past several years.)

And starting next year...there are going to be fewer of those "opportunities" with the influx of stronger teams into the B10 and the dissolution of the B10 West.

And I would even allow that the "formula" can work v. top teams when the offense is even average...but when the offense is this bad, you enter every game against top competition with a near zero chance of winning. This is offense is inexcusably bad...period. Change is needed, big change.

Not a single person is stating anything negative about the D nor ST, it is 100% the offense.

Some people, like you, are quite content with winning 7-10 games a year, seeing the BIG CG every 10 years and never sniffing the playoffs. Good for you. Others have a higher bar when our D and ST are repeatedly best in the country, year after year.
More to the point, those that don't like this article and articles like this are typically people afraid of change and cling to mediocrity for fear of further failure...it's a sad life but unfortunately it is the norm for many people.

But it DOESN'T work against other top teams, it just doesn't. Respectfully, I think you are dead wrong to assert that it does. Yes, it can work much of the time, but that is only v. other mediocre and lesser teams. (Say thanks to the FB gods that Iowa is in the B10 West, which is mostly comprised of other fair to middlin' teams over the past several years.)

And starting next year...there are going to be fewer of those "opportunities" with the influx of stronger teams into the B10 and the dissolution of the B10 West.

And I would even allow that the "formula" can work v. top teams when the offense is even average...but when the offense is this bad, you enter every game against top competition with a near zero chance of winning. This is offense is inexcusably bad...period. Change is needed, big change.
Yep. It's a formula for beating weak teams by 10 points.

What a shitty opinion piece

Disagree. Fans like you suck worse. Just my opinion. I'm sure a hater like you disagrees. Maybe if you guys just keep whining non-stop, you'll eventually be taken seriously.

English translation?

Everyone wants the offense to be better including myself and Gunner. Some fans just chose not to act like children. How can you not get that? Why would you attack him for it? Grow up
What a beautiful display of hypocrisy. *Chef's Kiss*

Everyone wants the offense to be better including myself and Gunner. Some fans just chose not to act like children. How can you not get that? Why would you attack him for it? Grow up
Huh? you make no sense with this logic...complaining about the ineptitude of the offense is Childish? so your definition of being a grown up is getting dumped on and quietly smiling about it?

Reactions: mustang_hawk
Huh? you make no sense with this logic...complaining about the ineptitude of the offense is Childish? so your definition of being a grown up is getting dumped on and quietly smiling about it?
Yes, the hyperbole of the whiners on here after a loss is very childish. You new?

Let’s keep KF and BF then see how they do in the B1G starting next year when they don’t have the West to hide in. Then the real changes will need to be made.
Sorry, I really have seen enough - it’s like hoping the Titanic can quickly plug its iceberg holes!🤪

Lol. The whole " Kirk doesn't care about winning and is just saying fvck you to the fan base" thing is always entertaining. Usually followed up by , "Kirk wouldn't win if it wasn't for Phil."
Kirk Ferentz cares about winning his way.
Losses his way, as always will be met with a snarky “that’s football”.

If you can look at Iowa football over Kirk Ferentz’ tenure and not see the massive role both Phil and Norm Parker played in his success then I don’t know what to tell you.

Yes, the hyperbole of the whiners on here after a loss is very childish. You new?
isn't this the forum for expressing opinions and emotions? where else can we commiserate? if our journalists were asking the coach the questions they should be asking this forum would probably a little less bitchy...unfortunately they don't so this is our emotional outlet. I don't think childish is the right description...maybe irrational at times but this Offense discussion has been ongoing and reasonable based on the teams rank over a fair sample size of years.

Lol. The whole " Kirk doesn't care about winning and is just saying fvck you to the fan base" thing is always entertaining. Usually followed up by , "Kirk wouldn't win if it wasn't for Phil."

Is "Iowa would be a below .500 team without Kirk" hyperbole?

Is Phil a good DC? Does he make it easier for Iowa to win games?

Your posts seem to indicate that you like to use hyperbole as well. If you think different that I do, you are a child and need to grow up!

• Haha
Reactions: HawkinK.C.1
If you can look at Iowa football over Kirk Ferentz’ tenure and not see the massive role both Phil and Norm Parker played in his success then I don’t know what to tell you.
I have never disparaged either one's importance. Can you point out where I did? I have pointed out that Norm and Phil have both been successful. There's a common denominator.

A little too much vitriol in this article for my taste but the indictment (re: offense) is rock solid. The evidence indisputably supports the charge.

Ferentz deserves respect and gratitude for his tenure at Iowa. But that respect is not absolute or unassailable. He has persistently failed to correct an obvious shortcoming.

The level of entitlement is too much. Kirk barely acknowledges the problem and, worse, exhibits a smugness worthy of any parent impulsively protecting a son from criticism.

Hayden knew it was time. Maybe Ferentz does as well. If not, his superiors need to have that talk.

This article is for
Loser fans who hate KF more than they love the Hawks, which basically means you should find another team as you’re truly not a hawk fan! What a douche. How did so called journalism become so inept in this world we live.

What a shitty opinion piece
exactly .... where did this come from

Hawkeyes fans are sweet, hard-working people who love their football team. They’re nice, warm and passionate. They’re good people.

Must sit in the press box where Hawk fans aren't puking on you, throwing beer at the opponents and refs, threatening any visiting fan that dares to wear their school colors. Then post game is the best when tavern Hawks all start fighting with one another.

What a shitty opinion piece.

Big Ten West is protecting the Ferentz family. It's a pathetic division and the only place in the country Iowa could continue to win games in this manner
That ends next year. They have 3 losses at least already on the schedule and they won't have DeJean back there. Harris will certainly be better, but he won't be DeJean. They'll be lucky to finish .500 if everything remains status quo. Because despite their schedule getting a bit tougher next year, there's still a bunch of pretty bad teams on it.

"Ferentz has put me in an uncomfortable position this year. I’ve been to Iowa City many times, and Hawkeyes fans are sweet, hard-working people who love their football team. They’re nice, warm and passionate. They’re good people. Yet Ferentz has put me in a position that even some of the Hawkeyes faithful have found themselves in — rooting for Iowa to fail."

For a sports 'journalist' to actively endorse a team's failure is beyond the pale.

I hope he gets fired.
What’s wrong with tanking? Teams do it all the time. This guy can’t endorse it?

Last edited:
I thought he did an excellent job summing up the frustrations from the fanbase and peoples annoyance that Ferentz is smug about this when people are paying good money to watch this “product.” I’ll never root against Iowa or want them to lose even if I feel like it may force some change. I can see how people feel that way.

Ultimately, Brian should have enough self-respect/dignity to just walk away. He’s put his dad in a tough situation and clearly is in way over his head. I’ll continue to echo that I don’t need a top 40 offense. I’m fine winning with great defense and special teams. But I also expect better than 3 straight years of some of the worst offense in college football.
This is absolutely true. Everyone calling on dad to pull the trigger ignores the responsibility Brian has as well. How he can look in the mirror and rationalize his role is just so out if touch. Maybe he has offered to quit and been told no.

The entire thing reflects so poorly on both of them. Entitlement is never pretty

wasn't Brian Ferentz a pretty decent offensive line coach? Either way he clearly wasn't ready to be the OC. What was Kirk's track record for firing coordinators or position coaches before this debacle?

As for Wasserman I can see why some posters have taken issue with him saying "disgusting." But in a purely football sense the 2023 Iowa offense is as bad as it gets. For as much success as tOSU has had Tressel {who is the most Frenetz-like}, Meyer, and Day all have been pretty quick to make changes when needed. For example there is only one defensive coach left from the 2021 staff.

It's hilarious that anyone still thinks firing Kirk Ferentz would result in a mass refusal by any talented coach in America to even consider the Iowa job.

Every coach not already at a more prestigious program (and maybe some who are) should be knocking down our door scratching and clawing their way towards a job that bestows upon its coach multi-generational wealth, puts up a statue for winning 7-8 games a year, and most importantly, waits TWO DECADES before any legitimate discussion of termination even begins.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and Iowa City, Iowa are the location of the two most secure big-time head coaching jobs in the whole of American organized sports. We've had two (2) coaches in the last nearly 50 years, and we're still worried that no one good will want the job if KF is removed? Laughable beyond all belief.

Imagine you're a talented business executive, but you refuse to even consider pursuing a job as CEO of a company that:
  • Asks only for reasonable profitability
  • Requires virtually no innovation whatsoever
  • Congratulates you with bonuses for finishing the fiscal year somewhere in the top 1/3 of your industry revenue-wise
  • Leaves you all but completely insulated from accountability to the shareholders
  • Pays you among the Top 20 of your peers in an industry with over 130 competitors
  • Gives you 25 years before the board of directors even thinks of maybe possibly politely asking you to remove yourself from the equation
And your reason for not pursuing such an opportunity would be what again? Oh right, it'd be because the last two CEOs only got A QUARTER OF A CENTURY at the helm in a profession where the average time between hiring and departure is less than 5 years?!

Pure, unadulterated nonsense. Not only would candidates not view the termination as anything even remotely resembling a poison pill, but they would be putting contract hits out on each other to thin the field for such a job.

It's hilarious that anyone still thinks firing Kirk Ferentz would result in a mass refusal by any talented coach in America to even consider the Iowa job.

Every coach not already at a more prestigious program (and maybe some who are) should be knocking down our door scratching and clawing their way towards a job that bestows upon its coach multi-generational wealth, puts up a statue for winning 7-8 games a year, and most importantly, waits TWO DECADES before any legitimate discussion of termination even begins.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and Iowa City, Iowa are the location of the two most secure big-time head coaching jobs in the whole of American organized sports. We've had two (2) coaches in the last nearly 50 years, and we're still worried that no one good will want the job if KF is removed? Laughable beyond all belief.

Imagine you're a talented business executive, but you refuse to even consider pursuing a job as CEO of a company that:
  • Congratulates you with bonuses for finishing the fiscal year somewhere in the top 1/3 of your industry revenue-wise
  • Leaves you all but completely insulated from accountability to the shareholders
  • Pays you among the Top 20 of your peers in an industry with over 130 competitors
  • Gives you 25 years before the board of directors even thinks of maybe possibly politely asking you to remove yourself from the equation
And your reason for not pursuing such an opportunity would be what again? Oh right, it'd be because the last two CEOs only got A QUARTER OF A CENTURY at the helm in a profession where the average time between hiring and departure is less than 5 years?!

Pure, unadulterated nonsense. Not only would candidates not view the termination as anything even remotely resembling a poison pill, but they would be putting contract hits out on each other to thin the field for such a job.
Iowa is definitely a top 25 to top 30 job.
It’s not an Oklahoma or Ohio State but you also don’t have any immense pressure to win either.

Reactions: RIGHTWINGHAWK
‘Then, thankfully, that glorious penalty flag came.’

I missed the flag on the play and what was the penalty? Yardage? Loss of down?

So that part was false…..
Not sure if he said it tongue-in-cheek, that's how I took it.

Very well said and 100% spot on.

Unfortunately there are Hawkeye fans who are so petrified with fear over a coaching change, they are certain the program can't possibly do as good or better with a different coach, and Kirk Ferentz is the best coach Iowa could ever hope to have.

I call it the "Tom Davis Syndrome".

Oh it is still kind of cute that's the problem.... I fully expect them to get a couple more wins then go to a bowl game... a pretty much meaningless bowl game where the other team has a bunch of guys going to the NFL so they're sitting out.... then Iowa will find a way to win and there's a bunch of Iowa fans there... all the announcers will comment on how great coach kf and the great D , and how great the fans are and how great the wave is and everything will end in a nice fairy tale like it does for the last 25 years and then all the fans will just talk about it all summer and obsess on why KF has not been fired. even this writer praised the defense.

Thank you for pasting it as nothing on that site is worth paying $.10

Thankfully they'll be out of business sooner rather than later.

Mr. Wasserman spoke truth.
The Sunshine Pumpers on here (they know who they are) will keep on living in denial.
Such is life.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
I disagree...a fan like you sucks worse. Better offense means better team. You are rooting for a worse team.
Everyone would like the offense to be better, including myself. Kind of a big flaw in your logic there, Hawklogic. You could have just said "Derp" instead....

Okay the guy should have said , "the penalty came down from on high and there was a call that was bad " blah blah blah no flag okay we got it he accidentally said the flag was thrown.

There's a couple bigger issues here that some people are missing. Number one I don't think we deserve anything or I don't think we are owed anything. Number two Penn St loss was way worse. Number three this is KF every single year no matter what he always gets to about seven wins. Anything after that is gravy. Nobody should be shocked when you see iowa with two losses at this point.

Reactions: Iron Doc
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT