ADVERTISEMENT

The Athletic article on Iowa

obfuscating

HR Legend
Jan 8, 2016

What Kirk Ferentz is doing at Iowa isn’t cute — it’s disgusting​

Oct 14, 2023; Madison, Wisconsin, USA;  Iowa Hawkeyes head coach Kirk Ferentz looks on during the second quarter against the Wisconsin Badgers at Camp Randall Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Jeff Hanisch-USA TODAY Sports

By Ari Wasserman
4h ago

As Cooper DeJean ran toward the end zone for what would have been the go-ahead touchdown with less than 90 seconds remaining in Iowa’s game against Minnesota on Saturday, it looked like Kirk Ferentz was going to get away with it again.
It looked as though we were all going to be subjected to that patented, condescending Ferentz smirk. You know, that grin that Iowa’s coach likes to flash when his team wins another gross, sad excuse for a football game that, in a twisted way, only confirms in his mind that offense is a fruitless burden he shouldn’t have to consider.

Then, thankfully, that glorious penalty flag came.

As DeJean was running to pick up the punted ball, he flailed his left arm, and the referees, ultimately, ruled it was an invalid fair catch signal. The touchdown was negated and Iowa’s offense, predictably, failed again with the game on the line.

Ferentz was bitterly disappointed in the postgame, saying he knew he was going to be fined for his pointed comments toward the referees and hoped they’d donate the proceeds to a children’s hospital.

Here’s what Ferentz forgot to mention during his postgame rant: Iowa gained 12 — 12!!!!! — yards of offense in the entire second half. After the punt return was called back, Iowa still had plenty of time to move 30 yards down the field to attempt a game-winning field goal, but quarterback Deacon Hill threw an interception three plays later that ended the game.

Minnesota 12, Iowa 10. Final.

Ding, dong the witch is dead.

Ferentz has put me in an uncomfortable position this year. I’ve been to Iowa City many times, and Hawkeyes fans are sweet, hard-working people who love their football team. They’re nice, warm and passionate. They’re good people. Yet Ferentz has put me in a position that even some of the Hawkeyes faithful have found themselves in — rooting for Iowa to fail.

There is nothing cute about what Iowa is doing this year. More on that in a minute. But first, some background. Ferentz retained his son, Brian, as offensive coordinator after last season despite the fact the Hawkeyes had one of the worst offenses in the past few decades. Like, bad enough to make your eyeballs bleed.

Iowa kept Brian Ferentz in the fold and stipulated in his contract that the team had to score 325 points in 2023. The repercussions if it fails to do so? He won’t automatically be fired, but his contract will expire.

Guess what? Iowa’s offense has gotten worse. Through eight games, Iowa has scored 156 points and averaged 19.5 points per game (well short of the 25 it needs to average over a 13-game schedule). Sixteen of those points are defensive or special teams scores.

It’s been pitiful, disgusting and insulting to Iowa fans.

Yet before Iowa lost to Minnesota, the Hawkeyes kept winning these disgusting rugby matches: 15-6 over Wisconsin, 20-14 over Purdue, 26-16 over Michigan State. Iowa climbed into the Top 25 in the AP poll and came into the weekend as the clear-cut favorite to make it to Indianapolis for the conference title game out of the Big Ten West.

People were amused by how a program that doesn’t try to score keeps winning. We kept coming up with fake scenarios for how Iowa could fail to reach 25 points per game and still find a way to retain Brian Ferentz. It became this fun little game to see how far Iowa could push the envelope.

It’s been a national punchline. We discuss it on the podcast all the time. We laugh about how bad, yet beautiful these games are. Everyone laughs.

But Iowa fans don’t deserve to be a national punchline. And regardless of how much Ferentz has done for Iowa football in the past, he has clearly resigned himself to not caring about its offense. He is seemingly content to beat Big Ten West teams 9-6 and occasionally make it in Indianapolis, never once stopping to consider that his team could be better than 10-2 if it could score.

Iowa’s defensive coordinator, Phil Parker, continues to turn three-star prospects into NFL Draft picks and design a defense that is routinely among the best in the nation. Then his boss jokes about how his favorite victory at Iowa was a 6-4 win over Penn State in 2004.

All of this is happening during a blatant case of nepotism. While his son remains in over his head as an offensive coordinator and jokes keep pouring in, he’s lining his pockets as a government employee.

No more. I can’t take it anymore.

Thank goodness Minnesota won, and we were reminded that with an offense that poor, Iowa is susceptible to losing to anyone. Iowa is still technically alive for the Big Ten Championship Game, so I hope it loses to another bad team because it can’t get a first down. I don’t want Iowa to win another game because I can’t stand any more misguided confirmation in Kirk Ferentz’s head that he is doing right by his program, players and fans. He’s stealing money from the people booing in the stands.

When you stink at your job, you get fired. Arkansas head coach Sam Pittman fired offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Sunday after saying he was the most gifted play caller he had ever seen when he hired him. That was a relationship that ended because Enos isn’t Pittman’s son.

I understand Iowa has been dealt a tough hand with some bad injuries on offense, most notably losing starting quarterback Cade McNamara. Yes, I’m sure the Hawkeyes may be a little better than dead last in total offense in college football had they had their full roster to deal with.

But this isn’t a serious program. It won’t be until it has a serious coach who cares about putting a quality offensive product on the field. Iowa fans deserve better than this.

I’m rooting for Iowa to fail so Iowa fans can get the changes necessary for the program to actually succeed.

Ari Wasserman is a senior writer for The Athletic covering college football and recruiting nationally. He previously spent 10 years covering Ohio State for The Athletic and Cleveland.com, starting on the Buckeyes beat in 2009. Follow Ari on Twitter @AriWasserman

The guy is right as much as I hate to say it, I used to say Kirk should be allowed to coach at Iowa till he is ready to retire, he'd earned that. Not anymore, I simply cannot stomach the thought of even one more year of this offensive shit show being allowed to continue. Kirk simply will not fire Brian, so as far as I am concerned, at season's end, Kirk should be told that the AD is firing Brian which hopefully will trigger Kirk to retire, if he doesn't, the AD should fire him. Just my opinion for what it's worth. With the BiG going to be considerable tougher from here on out, we simply cannot allow this to continue, its time to turn the page.

"Ferentz has put me in an uncomfortable position this year. I’ve been to Iowa City many times, and Hawkeyes fans are sweet, hard-working people who love their football team. They’re nice, warm and passionate. They’re good people. Yet Ferentz has put me in a position that even some of the Hawkeyes faithful have found themselves in — rooting for Iowa to fail."

For a sports 'journalist' to actively endorse a team's failure is beyond the pale.

I hope he gets fired.

I was holding out hope that an 11-3 finish, even with ugly beat downs in CCG and NY6 bowl games, would push KF over 0.600 and into HOF eligibility, and he would step down at season’s end given conference realignment on the horizon next year. Now it’s clear he has no shot at 0.600. He’s lost the HOF. He just needs to go.

But Iowa fans don’t deserve to be a national punchline. And regardless of how much Ferentz has done for Iowa football in the past, he has clearly resigned himself to not caring about its offense. He is seemingly content to beat Big Ten West teams 9-6 and occasionally make it in Indianapolis, never once stopping to consider that his team could be better than 10-2 if it could score.

this X's 1000

"Ferentz has put me in an uncomfortable position this year. I’ve been to Iowa City many times, and Hawkeyes fans are sweet, hard-working people who love their football team. They’re nice, warm and passionate. They’re good people. Yet Ferentz has put me in a position that even some of the Hawkeyes faithful have found themselves in — rooting for Iowa to fail."

For a sports 'journalist' to actively endorse a team's failure is beyond the pale.

I hope he gets fired.
How is hoping this shite show ends a bad thing?

An ex OSU beat writer who is still butt hurt about Iowa knocking the Buckwyes out of a BCS opportunity a few years ago.

Yes, Brian needs to go but Kirk's style of Defense, good special teams play and conservative (pick your opportunity football) still works. That is why they are a top 20 team in wins over the past 10 years.

Heck, many Hawk fans don't like it either but it works. Being happy the Hawks got screwed tells me all I need to know about Wasserman. He woyld be in melt down mode if OSU had a play called back like that.

So Ari, you can suck it!

This, in a nutshell, is what’s wrong with a segment of the Iowa fan base. They are more outraged by an opinion article than Brian Ferentz.
Along with the seeming inability to put two and two together. It IS beyond the pale. You NEVER see a journalist actively rooting for a team to fail. What about the Iowa situation might you infer from the fact that this is happening? That we’ve just found ourselves a rogue journalist?

I thought he did an excellent job summing up the frustrations from the fanbase and peoples annoyance that Ferentz is smug about this when people are paying good money to watch this “product.” I’ll never root against Iowa or want them to lose even if I feel like it may force some change. I can see how people feel that way.

Ultimately, Brian should have enough self-respect/dignity to just walk away. He’s put his dad in a tough situation and clearly is in way over his head. I’ll continue to echo that I don’t need a top 40 offense. I’m fine winning with great defense and special teams. But I also expect better than 3 straight years of some of the worst offense in college football.

Article is spot on. But ya know I get tired of people saying Kirk should go out on his time. When ya shit the bed ya get out of the bed and put clean sheets on. Kirk has shit his bed. He has pretty much F d up any chance brian has to make it has a head coach. Brian better worry about being a position coach at UNI. No coach should be allowed to stay 25 yrs complacency settin in. Plus in yrs 10 to 20 u bettr be winning big ten title and goin to the playoffs. No more making a bowl game finishing 7-5. If your goal isn t making the playoffs get the f out. Kirk is nothing more than average coach. If Kirk thought brian was ready for the big time football make me question his ability to judge talent?

An ex OSU beat writer who is still butt hurt about Iowa knocking the Buckwyes out of a BCS opportunity a few years ago.

Yes, Brian needs to go but Kirk's style of Defense, good special teams play and conservative (pick your opportunity football) still works. That is why they are a top 20 team in wins over the past 10 years.

Heck, many Hawk fans don't like it either but it works. Being happy the Hawks got screwed tells me all I need to know about Wasserman. He woyld be in melt down mode if OSU had a play called back like that.

So Ari, you can suck it!
Not a single person is stating anything negative about the D nor ST, it is 100% the offense.

Some people, like you, are quite content with winning 7-10 games a year, seeing the BIG CG every 10 years and never sniffing the playoffs. Good for you. Others have a higher bar when our D and ST are repeatedly best in the country, year after year.

So Ari, you can suck it!
I believe he is the beat writer that went after KF in the tOSU post game for having such a terrible offense last year.

He is writing an opinion piece that Hawk loyalists to a fault like yourself don’t like. I get that but don’t get mad at Iowa fans that expect more than 12 yards of offense in a half and 10 points in a game. It’s as if the offense keeps getting worse every single week when we say it can’t get any worse. Yet it does. Sad what we are seeing from Iowa football. All in the name of putting his son ahead of the program. Iowa Football will be here longer than Kirk Ferentz will be yet he thinks he is Iowa Football.

I hope it ends. I want it ended by BF getting fired. I still want the Hawks to win.
So you will be happy if they score 35pts a game (with the D and ST scoring most of those) the rest of the way, as long as they win, right? Or you are wanting your cake and to eat it too?

Reactions: Stoopsbrother
Not a single person is stating anything negative about the D nor ST, it is 100% the offense.

Some people, like you, are quite content with winning 7-10 games a year, seeing the BIG CG every 10 years and never sniffing the playoffs. Good for you. Others have a higher bar when our D and ST are repeatedly best in the country, year after year.
Everyone wants the offense to be better including myself and Gunner. Some fans just chose not to act like children. How can you not get that? Why would you attack him for it? Grow up

Everyone wants the offense to be better including myself and Gunner. Some fans just chose not to act like children. How can you not get that? Why would you attack him for it? Grow up
It's called having a public facing job. Reporters get clicks that's all they care about. But an adult can read through the BS and see that was is being sad is accurate. If you don't like to read it then don't, grow up.

It's called having a public facing job. Reporters get clicks that's all they care about. But an adult can read through the BS and see that was is being sad is accurate. If you don't like to read it then don't, grow up.
English translation?

So you will be happy if they score 35pts a game (with the D and ST scoring most of those) the rest of the way, as long as they win, right? Or you are wanting your cake and to eat it too?
This is an inane argument. Points are points. Who cares where they come from?

Reactions: not_mantiteo
The article (I didn't read all of it) is probably a fair assessment of what the fans are already feeling.

I do however, object to the term "disgusting". That term should be saved for parents treating children badly and similar actions. Not used to describe a 25 year, highly successful coach that's 6-2, with one loss to a vastly superior team and one that escaped on a questionable call.

I short, I simply don't like the character assassinations being applied to a coach that is unsuccessful in all or part of the game he coaches.

A man can be wrong or unsuccessful without being disgusting.

The article (I didn't read all of it) is probably a fair assessment of what the fans are already feeling.

I do however, object to the term "disgusting". That term should be saved for parents treating children badly and similar actions. Not used to describe a 25 year, highly successful coach that's 6-2, with one loss to a vastly superior team and one that escaped on a questionable call.

I short, I simply don't like the character assassinations being applied to a coach that is unsuccessful in all or part of the game he coaches.

A man can be wrong or unsuccessful without being disgusting.
Agree with your take on "disgusting."

Main takeaway IMO though, is that while it's not uncommon for programs to be lackluster in some phases of the game, the difference is that other programs try fixing the problem. Our offense is a massive problem, but KF is completely uninterested and unwilling to try fixing it because that would put his son at risk. That's f*cked up.

Agree with your take on "disgusting."

Main takeaway IMO though, is that while it's not uncommon for programs to be lackluster in some phases of the game, the difference is that other programs try fixing the problem. Our offense is a massive problem, but KF is completely uninterested and unwilling to try fixing it because that would put his son at risk. That's f*cked up.
Possibly. You also need to include "incapable" and a poor decision maker in there.

I also think BF would have been gone after last year, except that this is the last year for both of them.

E

What Kirk Ferentz is doing at Iowa isn’t cute — it’s disgusting​

Oct 14, 2023; Madison, Wisconsin, USA;  Iowa Hawkeyes head coach Kirk Ferentz looks on during the second quarter against the Wisconsin Badgers at Camp Randall Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Jeff Hanisch-USA TODAY Sports

By Ari Wasserman
4h ago

As Cooper DeJean ran toward the end zone for what would have been the go-ahead touchdown with less than 90 seconds remaining in Iowa’s game against Minnesota on Saturday, it looked like Kirk Ferentz was going to get away with it again.
It looked as though we were all going to be subjected to that patented, condescending Ferentz smirk. You know, that grin that Iowa’s coach likes to flash when his team wins another gross, sad excuse for a football game that, in a twisted way, only confirms in his mind that offense is a fruitless burden he shouldn’t have to consider.

Then, thankfully, that glorious penalty flag came.

As DeJean was running to pick up the punted ball, he flailed his left arm, and the referees, ultimately, ruled it was an invalid fair catch signal. The touchdown was negated and Iowa’s offense, predictably, failed again with the game on the line.

Ferentz was bitterly disappointed in the postgame, saying he knew he was going to be fined for his pointed comments toward the referees and hoped they’d donate the proceeds to a children’s hospital.

Here’s what Ferentz forgot to mention during his postgame rant: Iowa gained 12 — 12!!!!! — yards of offense in the entire second half. After the punt return was called back, Iowa still had plenty of time to move 30 yards down the field to attempt a game-winning field goal, but quarterback Deacon Hill threw an interception three plays later that ended the game.

Minnesota 12, Iowa 10. Final.

Ding, dong the witch is dead.

Ferentz has put me in an uncomfortable position this year. I’ve been to Iowa City many times, and Hawkeyes fans are sweet, hard-working people who love their football team. They’re nice, warm and passionate. They’re good people. Yet Ferentz has put me in a position that even some of the Hawkeyes faithful have found themselves in — rooting for Iowa to fail.

There is nothing cute about what Iowa is doing this year. More on that in a minute. But first, some background. Ferentz retained his son, Brian, as offensive coordinator after last season despite the fact the Hawkeyes had one of the worst offenses in the past few decades. Like, bad enough to make your eyeballs bleed.

Iowa kept Brian Ferentz in the fold and stipulated in his contract that the team had to score 325 points in 2023. The repercussions if it fails to do so? He won’t automatically be fired, but his contract will expire.

Guess what? Iowa’s offense has gotten worse. Through eight games, Iowa has scored 156 points and averaged 19.5 points per game (well short of the 25 it needs to average over a 13-game schedule). Sixteen of those points are defensive or special teams scores.

It’s been pitiful, disgusting and insulting to Iowa fans.

Yet before Iowa lost to Minnesota, the Hawkeyes kept winning these disgusting rugby matches: 15-6 over Wisconsin, 20-14 over Purdue, 26-16 over Michigan State. Iowa climbed into the Top 25 in the AP poll and came into the weekend as the clear-cut favorite to make it to Indianapolis for the conference title game out of the Big Ten West.

People were amused by how a program that doesn’t try to score keeps winning. We kept coming up with fake scenarios for how Iowa could fail to reach 25 points per game and still find a way to retain Brian Ferentz. It became this fun little game to see how far Iowa could push the envelope.

It’s been a national punchline. We discuss it on the podcast all the time. We laugh about how bad, yet beautiful these games are. Everyone laughs.

Iowa’s defensive coordinator, Phil Parker, continues to turn three-star prospects into NFL Draft picks and design a defense that is routinely among the best in the nation. Then his boss jokes about how his favorite victory at Iowa was a 6-4 win over Penn State in 2004.

All of this is happening during a blatant case of nepotism. While his son remains in over his head as an offensive coordinator and jokes keep pouring in, he’s lining his pockets as a government employee.

No more. I can’t take it anymore.

Thank goodness Minnesota won, and we were reminded that with an offense that poor, Iowa is susceptible to losing to anyone. Iowa is still technically alive for the Big Ten Championship Game, so I hope it loses to another bad team because it can’t get a first down. I don’t want Iowa to win another game because I can’t stand any more misguided confirmation in Kirk Ferentz’s head that he is doing right by his program, players and fans. He’s stealing money from the people booing in the stands.

When you stink at your job, you get fired. Arkansas head coach Sam Pittman fired offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Sunday after saying he was the most gifted play caller he had ever seen when he hired him. That was a relationship that ended because Enos isn’t Pittman’s son.

I understand Iowa has been dealt a tough hand with some bad injuries on offense, most notably losing starting quarterback Cade McNamara. Yes, I’m sure the Hawkeyes may be a little better than dead last in total offense in college football had they had their full roster to deal with.

But this isn’t a serious program. It won’t be until it has a serious coach who cares about putting a quality offensive product on the field. Iowa fans deserve better than this.

I’m rooting for Iowa to fail so Iowa fans can get the changes necessary for the program to actually succeed.

Ari Wasserman is a senior writer for The Athletic covering college football and recruiting nationally. He previously spent 10 years covering Ohio State for The Athletic and Cleveland.com, starting on the Buckeyes beat in 2009. Follow Ari on Twitter @AriWasserman
even if Iowa loses out KF will still be there thanks to Gary Barta

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT