ADVERTISEMENT

What I'm drinking tonight

Heading to KC this weekend. My BIL (no pictures) will have a wide variety of beer down there. Should be a great weekend. Are you on Untappd?

If you don't get any PAA where you are (John's in IC has a great selection usually), I'd look for them down there. They are from Krebs OK I think.

First one of theirs I had was regular Prairie Noir, and it really impressed me.
BBA Weekend I think is my favorite. That said, I still have not tried Pirate Bomb, Pirate Noir, Mocha Noir, Bible Belt (just got those), Vanilla Noir or regular Bomb!

Probably have 15 of them aging in my cellar area.

I got a few Christmas Bomb!'s this past winter, and the cinnamon/nutmeg flavor isn't my thing. Excellent beer though; a friend who loves those flavors thinks that isht is the best she's tasted.

Heading to KC this weekend. My BIL (no pictures) will have a wide variety of beer down there. Should be a great weekend. Are you on Untappd?
See if Weldwerks sells anywhere in KS/MO. They have some solid stuff.

Wiley Roots out here does some darned good sours - maybe up to BlackStack standards.
Odd13, too. Not sure if any of them distribute much outside CO.

What amazes me in this state, is how many people who "think" they know craft beer, know all about Avery and New Belgium and Oskar Blues, but have never heard of Weldwerks in Greeley. WW is on par with some of the best brewers, anywhere, and put those others mostly to shame.

See if Weldwerks sells anywhere in KS/MO. They have some solid stuff.

Wiley Roots out here does some darned good sours - maybe up to BlackStack standards.
Odd13, too. Not sure if any of them distribute much outside CO.

What amazes me in this state, is how many people who "think" they know craft beer, know all about Avery and New Belgium and Oskar Blues, but have never heard of Weldwerks in Greeley. WW is on par with some of the best brewers, anywhere, and put those others mostly to shame.
I have been to WW. Great beer!! My BIL will have beers from BKS which is a great brewery in KC. He has a lot of Prairie at his house already.

I have been to WW. Great beer!! My BIL will have beers from BKS which is a great brewery in KC. He has a lot of Prairie at his house already.
LMK what Prairies he's got that he particularly likes.
I'm always on the lookout for new ones. The "lowest" ones on my list are Stuft and Christmas Bomb. Corner Piece is a little sweet for me but very very smooth.

Need to start going thru that stash this fall; have some 2019 Bourbon Paradise that should be aged about right by now.

Reactions: ironside1
FYI: Have some Wisconsin bros/bras out here, who pick up New Glarus when they are back east.

I'd had Spotted Cow before, and it's good, but just "OK" good, nothing that knocked my socks off.

Recently, had both Belgian Red and Raspberry Tart.

BOTH of those are absolutely fabulous sour/fruit beers.
Like, "Best In Class" shit.

I looked up on NG's website and each of them have won 12+ Gold Medals in numerous (many national) competitions over the past 2 decades.

So, if you're a beer and sours lover, I would strongly recommend trying both. I'd LOVE to get a couple 4-packs of each out here. Very tasty 'hot summer day' stuff. And I'm not that big a "sours" fan, but will make an exception for those two.

FYI: Have some Wisconsin bros/bras out here, who pick up New Glarus when they are back east.

I'd had Spotted Cow before, and it's good, but just "OK" good, nothing that knocked my socks off.

Recently, had both Belgian Red and Raspberry Tart.

BOTH of those are absolutely fabulous sour/fruit beers.
Like, "Best In Class" shit.

I looked up on NG's website and each of them have won 12+ Gold Medals in numerous (many national) competitions over the past 2 decades.

So, if you're a beer and sours lover, I would strongly recommend trying both. I'd LOVE to get a couple 4-packs of each out here. Very tasty 'hot summer day' stuff. And I'm not that big a "sours" fan, but will make an exception for those two.
If you can get your hands on any Humble Forager, Drekker, or The Brewing Projekt you should check them out. Better than New Glarus.

This is gin and tonic weather in NW Florida. This has become my favorite G&T gin.

waterloo-no.-9-gin-2.jpg

I'd point out, that ratings on Untappd are heavily biased toward beer type, as well as a fair amount of "trendy" bias toward popular styles or breweries.

If you want to identify whether you like a particular style of beer, find one that is ranked highly relative to others in its class or group; ignore absolute numbers, because a Pils or Brown Ale is never gonna garnish the numbers that anything "barrel aged" will, particularly any barred-aged stouts; or good quality hazy IPAs.

A brown ale or Bohemian/Czech Pils might not be as unique as a fancy hazy, but you'll find the good ones make for a damn fine beer.

Tallahassee has a developed a pretty good local brewing scene over the last 10-15 years or so. Proof, Ology, Deep, Lake Tribe, Oyster City are all solid.

I've seen stuff from Ology at GABF in the past, and remember that brewery name - so they must have brought some solid stuff that year

Doing volunteer sorting for GABF has the wonderful perk of getting some pretty damned good beers from about anywhere in the country, of just about any style you can imagine.

The downside is sometimes you get some really weird or awful "experimental" beers, smoke beers or completely overdone chili-beers. And those categories seem to produce the widest spread of "this is really pretty tasty" vs "holy hell who would drink this piss-water?"

Tallahassee has a developed a pretty good local brewing scene over the last 10-15 years or so. Proof, Ology, Deep, Lake Tribe, Oyster City are all solid.
I haven’t made it over to Fools Fire yet. They any good?

I've seen stuff from Ology at GABF in the past, and remember that brewery name - so they must have brought some solid stuff that year

Doing volunteer sorting for GABF has the wonderful perk of getting some pretty damned good beers from about anywhere in the country, of just about any style you can imagine.

The downside is sometimes you get some really weird or awful "experimental" beers, smoke beers or completely overdone chili-beers. And those categories seem to produce the widest spread of "this is really pretty tasty" vs "holy hell who would drink this piss-water?"
Give the Ology stuff a try next time. I played flag football with one of the owners. He’s a solid dude and makes some good stuff.

They have also recently gotten into distilling. I haven’t tried any, but have heard good things.

Give the Ology stuff a try next time. I played flag football with one of the owners. He’s a solid dude and makes some good stuff.

They have also recently gotten into distilling. I haven’t tried any, but have heard good things.
Not sure if they distribute out here or not; will have to check.

They're one of the breweries I'd made a mental note of, so if I see any, I usually check it out.

EDIT: I can see one place has a Dynamic Fermentum variant in stock; not sure which one, but overall those look like tasty sours

Not sure if they distribute out here or not; will have to check.

They're one of the breweries I'd made a mental note of, so if I see any, I usually check it out.

EDIT: I can see one place has a Dynamic Fermentum variant in stock; not sure which one, but overall those look like tasty sours
They love to produce sours. I’m not a huge sour fan, so I stick with their stouts and IPAs. They have a pretty good milkshake IPA.

I haven’t made it over to Fools Fire yet. They any good?

Pretty good. They’re last on my list but honestly I think all of the Tally breweries now that Grasslands is gone are all really good. I’d probably rank em: 1) Deep, 2) Oyster City, 3) Ology, 4) Proof, 5) Lake Tribe, and 6) Fool’s Fire. But they’re all good and I wouldn’t have an issue with anyone’s list of those six in any order.

I will say that Southern Fields which is in middle of nowhere Florida (Campeltown technically) on the way to Dothan and north of Marianna may be the very best in the area. I was highly impressed considering they’re in such a tiny town. My wife and I also tried to drink at Civic Brewing in Sopchoppy on two separate times and they were literally out of beer both times. Not out of A beer. Literally out of ALL beers. How that can happen not once but at least twice I don’t know. People who actually got to try it claimed it was good.

Reactions: runkpanole

Proof’s distillery needs some practice/new recipes. Their vodka is a little “hot” like Tito’s and will probably give you a nasty hangover like Tito’s as well. There’s a lot better vodkas on the market. If you want to go Floridian, St Augustine does it MUCH better. And there’s nothing as smooth as Reyka, Russian Standard - Platinum, Ocean, Crystal Skull etc…

Pretty good. They’re last on my list but honestly I think all of the Tally breweries now that Grasslands is gone are all really good. I’d probably rank em: 1) Deep, 2) Oyster City, 3) Ology, 4) Proof, 5) Lake Tribe, and 6) Fool’s Fire. But they’re all good and I wouldn’t have an issue with anyone’s list of those six in any order.

I will say that Southern Fields which is in middle of nowhere Florida (Campeltown technically) on the way to Dothan and north of Marianna may be the very best in the area. I was highly impressed considering they’re in such a tiny town. My wife and I also tried to drink at Civic Brewing in Sopchoppy on two separate times and they were literally out of beer both times. Not out of A beer. Literally out of ALL beers. How that can happen not once but at least twice I don’t know. People who actually got to try it claimed it was good.
I really liked Southern Fields as well.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
They love to produce sours. I’m not a huge sour fan, so I stick with their stouts and IPAs. They have a pretty good milkshake IPA.

I hated sours when I first tried them but love them now. I think my initial attempts were kind of a shock to my taste buds.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
I hated sours when I first tried them but love them now. I think my initial attempts were kind of a shock to my taste buds.
I was never a fan, but once I started getting the good ones, my attitudes & preferences changed....

For me, it's
  • Barrel-aged stouts
  • Hazy WC/NE IPAs
  • Sours
  • About anything else that is an above average quality brew; Pils, Hefes, malty ales, etc.

Mostly in that order, but for summertime hot days, the lighter fares are better.

So in an effort to live a little healthier, I'm currently drinking peach/honey flavored A-Ha and Titos. It's not terrible. It's not great. I guess it'll work, but it's also making me reconsider whether it's worth it to be healthier.

Reactions: noleclone2
This is gin and tonic weather in NW Florida. This has become my favorite G&T gin.

waterloo-no.-9-gin-2.jpg

All the way from Tecks-Ass I see. I’ll have to check it out next time I’m there. My wife does like going to Salt Lick BBQ there in Dripping Springs. I might even be going there in a couple of weeks. We were planning on doing a driving trip to Badlands NP and through Big Horn and Medicine Bow National Forests to see some fall color. But a Board Meeting I have to attend got pushed back a week and now it might be too late for fall foliage in Wyoming in the second and third weeks of October. If that’s the case we’re rejiggering either to do Cajun Country plus Texas Hill Country plus Oklahoma plus Ozarks plus Memphis. OR we’re doing Savannah plus OBX plus Tidewater plus NOVA plus the Shenandoah and back.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Had two sours....called it a night. Coffee now after Mr. 3 year old decided he wanted to be up at 4:55

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT