ADVERTISEMENT

What is good tequila?

Colonoscopy

HR Legend
Feb 20, 2022
Saint Louis, Mo
So I was in Iowa City the other day and stopped by a new business downtown, a tequila bar called Coa Cantina. Really good, halfway authentic, street tacos. Taco Tuesday deals were solid. Worth a visit.

Anyway, I had a 10 dollar sipper of Don Julio 70 Anejo. About an 80 dollar bottle.

Shit was really nice. I don't usually drink tequila, but I could see getting used this.

What are your tequila recommendations? I'm intrigued by the plethora of offerings, and range of prices.

Tequila is best accompanied by original jokes about hangovers and alcohol-based promiscuity. But no tequila actually is one of those rare things in alcohol where you get what you pay for.

Reactions: nelly02
This stuff's pretty good:

27039829786654.png

In my experience almost anything over the $50 a bottle mark is going to be pretty good. Except George Clooney's swill. That stuff is not even as good as the $14 bottles being made in Tama, IA.

• Love
Reactions: DogBoyRy and torbee
Wife and I drink Tequila almost exclusively. We were going through 1942 and Clase Azul weekly until we couldn't find/afford it anymore. Then someone convinced us to try Kirkland Anejo. Wow it is amazing! We did blind taste tests with 1942, Clase Azul and Kirkland and all of our friends picked Kirkland. Super Smooth and at $44 a bottle (was $28 a bottle a year ago) well worth it.

I bought a few bottles today and noticed Costco now has a Reposado available for $24 so I bought a bottle to try it out.

One thing about Kirkland though is I was told it has a bunch of additives and isn't really tequila, but I don't care, it tastes like Tequila to me.

Reactions: Colonoscopy
So I was in Iowa City the other day and stopped by a new business downtown, a tequila bar called Coa Cantina. Really good, halfway authentic, street tacos. Taco Tuesday deals were solid. Worth a visit.

Anyway, I had a 10 dollar sipper of Don Julio 70 Anejo. About an 80 dollar bottle.

Shit was really nice. I don't usually drink tequila, but I could see getting used this.

What are your tequila recommendations? I'm intrigued by the plethora of offerings, and range of prices.
If you can find it, get this. For the price point, it's one of the best tequilas I've had that tastes excellent over just ice. Super smooth sipper:

Often under $50 a bottle.

13940163641374.png

La Gritona Reposado is a subtle and distinctive 100% blue agave tequila distilled by Melly Barajas at her small distillery (NOM 1533) in Valle de Guadalupe in the highlands of Jalisco, Mexico. The distillery begins with 9-10 year old mature agave grown in the iron-rich red soil of the Jalisco highlands that has been cultivated at the height of it’s sugar production and is put into ovens within 24 hours of being cut.

The agave is steam cooked in two thick-walled earthen ovens for 24 hours and then allowed to rest for another 24 hours before crushing. The collected liquid is naturally fermented in open steel vats at a rate that is dictated by the local air temperature. Once it starts to swim, the company distills their nascent silver twice. They rest the distilled silver in reused American whiskey barrels (Jack Daniels) for 8 months before filtering and bottling.

They char their barrels very lightly if necessary and allow the barrels to be used for other rested tequilas prior to the resting period so that the residual oak, the residual whiskey, and the leached color from both can be as stunted as possible while the reposado ages. The agave is crushed with steel shredders after cooking and the liquid is distilled in steel stills. Every step of production takes place under one roof and the facility is overseen by a small staff of local women that work each process from start to finish.

La Gritona currently bottles an average of 12,500 liters per batch. All of the agave remnants that are left over after production are given to local farmers to use as cattle feed. The bottles are hand blown with recycled Mexican glass in the Guadalajara municipality of Tonolá, an hour away from the distillery.

Wife and I drink Tequila almost exclusively. We were going through 1942 and Clase Azul weekly until we couldn't find/afford it anymore. Then someone convinced us to try Kirkland Anejo. Wow it is amazing! We did blind taste tests with 1942, Clase Azul and Kirkland and all of our friends picked Kirkland. Super Smooth and at $44 a bottle (was $28 a bottle a year ago) well worth it.

I bought a few bottles today and noticed Costco now has a Reposado available for $24 so I bought a bottle to try it out.

One thing about Kirkland though is I was told it has a bunch of additives and isn't really tequila, but I don't care, it tastes like Tequila to me.
1942 is like 150 a bottle. You drank 150 bucks worth of tequila weekly?

You want Mezcal
Del Maguey San Luiz like $30 a bottle my favorite

Ilegal Mezcal Joven like $50 a bottle is okay

The cleanest one ive ever tasted was at my brother’s bachelor party, he married a Mexican woman. Her food is the love of my life. Her dad brought a bottle and we took shots until it was gone, Ameras Cuperata at like $65 a bottle

You want Mezcal

The cleanest one ive ever tasted was at my brother’s bachelor party, he married a Mexican woman. Her food is the love of my life. Her dad brought a bottle and we took shots until it was gone, Ameras Cuperata at like $65 a bottle
What are the yams and can like?

In my experience almost anything over the $50 a bottle mark is going to be pretty good. Except George Clooney's swill. That stuff is not even as good as the $14 bottles being made in Tama, IA.
Yeah, I tried it. You can tell it's loaded with fake additives and sweetener. It's garbage, particularly for the cost.

That is another reason I LOVE the La Gritona - it is additive free yet still manages to be floral and a little sweet with zero burn. Masterly crafted and usually can pick it up for around $45 a bottle.

Of course I also love a Clase Azul, but I'm not into dropping $200 for bottles of booze too often, and frankly, while better, it's NOT $150 better than the Gritona.

Pay for sex and now tequila? You going to Mexico?

Last edited:
Pay for sex and now tequila? You go g to Mexico?
Nah. But the topic came up the other day.

I was talking to this friend of a stripper friend. She just started stripping and started dishing to me all that she has found out. Apparently she slept with a customer for like a grand, but said she was already into him and so it was no big deal. She said she was insulted by the Mexican dudes that would come in and lowball her for like 200 or 300 hundred. The advice she got is never take anything less than 1000. Going rate in Eastern Iowa, I guess.

I naively didn't think it of it going on so much locally.

Reactions: NoleATL
Nah. But the topic came up the other day.

I was talking to this friend of a stripper friend. She just started stripping and started dishing to me all that she has found out. Apparently she slept with a customer for like a grand, but said she was already into him and so it was no big deal. She said she was insulted by the Mexican dudes that would come in and lowball her for like 200 or 300 hundred. The advice she got is never take anything less than 1000. Going rate in Eastern Iowa, I guess.

I naively didn't think it of it going on so much locally.
Dude, you could go to any dive bar in west Davenport and get 3 relatively attractive ho's to bang you in a foursome for $200 each.

Who is out there dropping a grand to bang skanks from Daisy Dooks and SOCO!?

Dude, you could go to any dive bar in west Davenport and get 3 relatively attractive ho's to bang you in a foursome for $200 each.

Who is out there dropping a grand to bang skanks from Daisy Dooks and SOCO!?
I'm probably a little naive. I figured there's a market for that in bigger cities... or maybe backpages or wherever drug deals go down. Maybe the skankiest of strippers. But at a bar with random women? With a few of the relatively "nice girl" strippers I knew?

For me it would have to be a girl that's unreal hot and just my type. Otherwise I'll just pound away on tinder or whatever.

Reactions: torbee
I see Clase has already been mentioned. No surprise there. I've probably tasted more than a hundred premium tequilas and Clase is right at the top. Their anejo is just bliss. I can only speak for anejos though, because it's all I drink.

Tears of Llorona is exceptional - but it damn well better be at $300 for a bottle. I would never buy it myself, but got a bottle as a thank you gift from a client that I helped resolve an issue that put at risk a deal that heneeded to vlose so he could retire.

I think out here at the local joint it's $30 a shot.

I've never bought a bottle of it, but looks like retail is $150-ish, unless you get into the special editions - which I haven't seen, except on my google image search.

This one is apparently $1,900:

10508799049758.png

Bottles of that get aged in two seperate barrels if I understand correctly. American whiskey and another liquor. For years. That's pinnacle tequila.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
You want Mezcal

I love mezcal. Adds a nice smokey hint. I love it paired with a little pineapple and lime juice.

Well you actually said... Any. And we all know your issues. I found the comment hilarious.
My immediate thought with the "any" comment was my 21st birthday in college. Buddies lined up four shots of well tequila at Bo's at UNI at midnight. They stayed down, but they were a tad harsh. Nowhere to go but up from there.

You want Mezcal

Aztecs called it Octli. Mezcal is garbage.

Well if you're going to be that way about it.

Don Julio Silver is exceptional. Patron might be a bit overrated, but still very good.
The hos love patron, I've learned. I think it's the bottle as much as anything. I just figured it was over priced due to it's popularity so I never buy it. I'll have to look up Julio silver, just know 70 is good stuff.

Reactions: jasonrann

What are your tequila recommendations? I'm intrigued by the plethora of offerings, and range of price

Bottom shelf silver mixed with Sprite. Served me well in my early 20s

This is the best tequila I have ever tasted:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT