ADVERTISEMENT

What is good tequila?

The hos love patron, I've learned. I think it's the bottle as much as anything. I just figured it was over priced due to it's popularity so I never buy it. I'll have to look up Julio silver, just know 70 is good stuff.
The Don Julio is a great combination of quality without getting railed on price. When the father-in-law and I used to drink together, I would just grab a random bottle of Silver in the $30-$40 range to try something different. There is some good stuff out there.

Reactions: Colonoscopy
I have spent a ton on a bottle of tequila. We are talking in the 25 dollar range, effing terrible, all of them. I wouldn't even give it to the dogs.
Our dogs growing up weren't picky at all when it came to tequila, gin on the other hand. The border collie had better taste than my old man.

• Haha
Reactions: Moral
Best stuff I have ever had....$70 at customs in Cancun, if you can get it.
shopping

Reactions: jasonrann
I think out here at the local joint it's $30 a shot.

I've never bought a bottle of it, but looks like retail is $150-ish, unless you get into the special editions - which I haven't seen, except on my google image search.

This one is apparently $1,900:

10508799049758.png
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again…

If the tequila bottle fits nice inside your anus, that’s good tequila!

My favorite low end tequila and the cheapest I keep around is El Jimador Blanco. It’s good enough for shots and in cocktails and margs, but doesn’t stand up well to simple things like sipping on the rocks or in a ranch water.

el-jimador-blanco-tequila_1.jpg

Meanwhile Olmeca Altos Blanco/Silver is only a few dollars more per bottle than El Jimador and is so smooth and well-balanced it works for sipping on the rocks and ranch waters as well as shooting and cocktails/margs. And as much as I love the silver/blanco version, my wife raves about the reposado and anejo versions for their Caramel and vanilla flavors. Normally I would agree with her as in the past I used silvers mainly for shooting cheap shots and to make blue or sea green margs, but here the silver is so good the older and more expensive products feel like gilding the lily.

yn0-xiKIRybti6J1_lV1cCWL4W-5vxVOv.jpg

For cheap reposados I like Cazcabel when I can find it and Sauza Hacienda when I can’t.

51zv8SNrLRL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

63378-Sauza-Hacienda-Gold-Tequila16.jpg

But the slightly more expensive Olmeca Altos Gold is maybe the best reposado out there. The Volans reposado may be slightly better but at double the price of even Olmeca it’s a splurge and probably not worth it.

Last edited:
Of those in the price range of, say, Patron or Don Julio, my preference is Herradura anejo. It's very smooth, good enough to drink as a sipper, neat or on the rocks.
The same distillery also makes a good lower-priced tequila, El Jimador. The reposado is similar priced to Cuervo, but far superior taste.

My favorite low end tequila and the cheapest I keep around is El Jimador Blanco. It’s good enough for shots and in cocktails and margs, but doesn’t stand up well to simple things like sipping on the rocks or in a ranch water.

Meanwhile Olmeca Altos Blanco/Silver is only a few dollars more per bottle than El Jimador and is so smooth and well-balanced it works for sipping on the rocks and ranch waters as well as shooting and cocktails/margs. And as much as I love the silver/blanco version, my wife raves about the reposado and anejo versions for their Caramel and vanilla flavors. Normally I would agree with her as in the past I used silvers mainly for shooting cheap shots and to make blue or sea green margs, but here the silver is so good the older and more expensive products feel like gilding the lily.

For cheap reposados I like Cazcabel when I can find it and Sauza Hacienda when I can’t.

But the slightly more expensive Olmeca Alstos Gold is maybe the best reposado out there. The Volans reposado may be slightly better but at double the price of even Olmeca it’s a splurge and probably not worth it.
Great call on Altos. When that started hitting the market here in KC, the father-in-law and I were picking up the Silver regularly for $18/bottle. Fantastic stuff.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again…

If the tequila bottle fits nice inside your anus, that’s good tequila!
That's a good f'n point haha. This is my go to to have on the rocks or just neat. Very smooth. We stick to Costco kirkland tequila for margaritas and such.

don-julio-primavera-1.jpg

But the slightly more expensive Olmeca Alstos Gold is maybe the best reposado out there. The Volans reposado may be slightly better but at double the price of even Olmeca it’s a splurge and probably not worth it.
Altos is a very good cheaper tequila.

La Camerana isn't bad either, at least for mixing.

Reactions: beanerhawk
This stuff's pretty good:

27039829786654.png

Had some relatives in town for the 4th of July from Louisiana. They bought two bottles of that, it's so smooth you can barely tell your drinking tequila when you drink it straight. Still have half a bottle at my house.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT