ADVERTISEMENT

What is it like to sit and diagnose plays with Brian Ferentz for three hours?

torbee

HB King
Gold Member
The Athletic's Scott Dochterman shares that story - and more - in this week's 12 Saturdays podcast. Since Scott and I go way back to our Muscatine Journal days, we also have a deep and engaging conversation about the current state of local journalism in America and why everyone should be alarmed at its demise.

We think you'll enjoy this one, so please consider giving it a listen - or better yet - subscribe! :)

Spotify: Spotify Podcast 12 Saturdays 2.0

Amazon: Amazon Podcast 12 Saturdays 2.0

Apple: Apple Podcast 12 Saturdays 2.0

iHeart: iHeart Podcast 12 Saturdays 2.0

Local journalism?!?? the entirety of reporting, content, agenda and presentation is irrevocably damaged world wide, forever to come in my opinion.

It’s all about influencing the masses to accept your opinion as far as I can see.
Yes, the majority of Americans now consume infotainment rather than actual news via biased massive cable news outlets that do a piss poor job of any meaningful reporting. This is a huge problem and the destruction of good, reputable local outlets is a huge part of that problem.

Yes, the majority of Americans now consume infotainment rather than actual news via biased massive cable news outlets that do a piss poor job of any meaningful reporting. This is a huge problem and the destruction of good, reputable local outlets is a huge part of that problem.
I heard an interview with a guy who is running a very large 501c3 that's in the business of funding not-for-profit news outlets specifically to prop up local news sources. Are you familiar with it?

Unfortunately too many of the local media outlets just parrot some of the national messaging. Most of it is unwatchable any more.

I heard an interview with a guy who is running a very large 501c3 that's in the business of funding not-for-profit news outlets specifically to prop up local news sources. Are you familiar with it?
It's an intriguing model - and certainly has more going for it than the irreparably broken for-profit newspaper model.

Some of them are losing steam lately though, unfortunately.

Back to the topic at hand…what is it like sitting with the offensive genius that is BF?

9mTaC4pejjR-4tvg3LpbGFGDVox6Z7UeiziLDZHi_5G1k2dwbIeA-A69dfzbhUQ7oFNm7TzGQ_uW_tYgF1bxC4qZSgM9efz5dPhgDB66RHc-b8ttSuiNuovW5Be7tU9AkdzOdf41

Back to the topic at hand…what is it like sitting with the offensive genius that is BF?
Scott says you can tell he really does know football better than most human beings.

I often wonder if he sometimes gets paralysis by analysis --- a fancy way of saying he may "outthink" himself sometimes.

The Athletic's Scott Dochterman shares that story - and more - in this week's 12 Saturdays podcast. Since Scott and I go way back to our Muscatine Journal days, we also have a deep and engaging conversation about the current state of local journalism in America and why everyone should be alarmed at its demise.

We think you'll enjoy this one, so please consider giving it a listen - or better yet - subscribe! :)

The demise of Journalism was brought about by their own doing. They wanted to be first to report, wirh little concern for being right.

The demise of Journalism was brought about by their own doing. They wanted to be first to report, wirh little concern for being right.
I’d also say being impartial was thrown out the window a very long time ago. And it started at the colleges and universities with the professors and staff promoting their liberal or conservative bias.

Not a lot of meat on the bone with this comment. Who is the "they" in "their" that you refer to?

It certainly isn't frontline journalists - the vast majority of whom are in it out of a legitimate love of the work and a desire to tell stories that impact their fellow citizens.

I probably know upwards of 1,000 journalists and can count on one hand (hell, half of one hand) the number who had "little concern for being right."

I’d also say being impartial was thrown out the window a very long time ago. And it started at the colleges and universities with the professors and staff promoting their liberal or conservative bias.
Journalism has never - and was never intended to be - devoid of point-of-view or completely "impartial."

You can do excellent, fair, meaningful work even when doing advocacy journalism provided you are accurate and deal in facts.

Scott says you can tell he really does know football better than most human beings.

I often wonder if he sometimes gets paralysis by analysis --- a fancy way of saying he may "outthink" himself sometimes.
You can be really smart about something but still not possess the characteristics to be really good at performing in it. People tend to forget that it's not how smart you are, but how smart you are relative to the people you're competing against and how well you're able to respond to what they're doing. That's what makes Phil so great at what he does. He's terrific at making adjustments on the fly. Brian I'm not so sure about.

wgn-tv chicago GIF by WGN Morning News

this is how I envision those offensive meetings with Brian

Journalism is like many other things...the more it moves toward centralized control (which it most certainly has) the worse it is for the population at large.
Local journalism?!?? the entirety of reporting, content, agenda and presentation is irrevocably damaged world wide, forever to come in my opinion.

It’s all about influencing the masses to accept your opinion as far as I can see.

It is true that Brian would run circles around GIA posters with superior football knowledge and expertise.

Also, it is self-evident that most college OCs would school Brian with superior innovation and play calling.
Well to be fair there has been some solid calls and lack of execution in all 3 games this year, both sides are correct. Brian knows ball and calls good plays, yet the QB misses Andersen for a 90 yard TD or a late throw that results in a pick in the EZ. Conversely, running stretch zone to the short side on 3rd and 2 usually doesnt' work or horz route trees for 6 yards when you need 8.

W/out looking, we did avg. around 30 ppg in 2018 IIRC. Sure, he probably should've been gone last year but he's prob forgotten more football than 90% of this board knows. Not an excuse but I will give some credit to the run game calls and execution, more hat on hat blocking, pin and pull and less outside zone, plus more counter and I like it!

good job, great podcast..
I like your co-host... he supports the players and coaches... and of course Scott is almost always a fair minded reporter.
I thought it was extra interesting to hear the opinions you all had on Brian Ferentz.

Reactions: torbee
Journalism has never - and was never intended to be - devoid of point-of-view or completely "impartial."

You can do excellent, fair, meaningful work even when doing advocacy journalism provided you are accurate and deal in facts.

"Journalists" should be clear about their role. If an editorial or opinion based, be as biased as you want. If you are reporting the news, it should absolutely be devoid of a point of view. I want facts, not your version of th em. It's why nobody truly trusts the news anymore, or they feel one or another outlet is lying.

And I believe the word should have been diagram - not diagnose.

Not a lot of meat on the bone with this comment. Who is the "they" in "their" that you refer to?

It certainly isn't frontline journalists - the vast majority of whom are in it out of a legitimate love of the work and a desire to tell stories that impact their fellow citizens.

I probably know upwards of 1,000 journalists and can count on one hand (hell, half of one hand) the number who had "little concern for being right."
They is exactly what this is about, journalists.

The 1k you know arent the MSM that pump out garbage with little to no regard for facts, etc. Then the locals have no real choice but regurgitate it, they are owned by the higher ups and must comply.

Unfortunately, it has become opinion publishing instead of facts and data.

f wisconsin

Unfortunately too many of the local media outlets just parrot some of the national messaging. Most of it is unwatchable any more.
Which is what we see daily about the BF deal with the 25 points/gm. Most of these clowns locally or on the national beat, (yes you ESPN) haven't had an original thought in ages....

And all of this "good" is drummed out by MSM's toxicity based upon political ideology.

Reactions: Typical Situation
W/out looking, we did avg. around 30 ppg in 2018 IIRC.

Yeah, Iowa averaged 31.2 in 2018.

I know everyone forgets about the 2020 season, but Brian Ferentz and Spencer Petras put together the second-highest scoring team in the Big Ten, at 31.8 ppg. Those were all conference games, too. But everyone hand-waves away the covid year like it didn't happen.

Brian seemed to do very well at Iowa as an OL coach and the Run Game Coordinator. He isn't good as an OC, and our OL completely came apart in 2021 and 2022. Those two years were a terrible match of a bad OL with an OC unable to adjust to it, and a QB who seems particularly poor at reacting to pressure and creating things on the fly. And maybe most importantly a HC who also doesn't want to change things much.

Is your statement another way of saying he really doesnt have a good feel for playcalling. It is one thing setting up the opposing defense and then double crossing the defense as they adjust. You can out scheme them some during a game but a good DCoor will adjust quickly.

But some OCoords just have a feel of when to call a certain play from deep down in the playbook or to go against your tendencies.

I am sure Brian has heard a lot of very good coaches talk football, looked at plays, drawn out all the Xs and Os but to me, during a game, I have commented to friends that sometimes it doesnt seem Brian and a very good plan to get to his offensive goals.

remember the game in 2021 when Brian Ferentz made an adjustment at a critical point in the game that got us a touchdown that ultimately beat the #3 team in the country ?

Spencer Petras to Nico Ragaini

that was a play that they had run earlier in the game.. the adjustment was having Ragaini break his route and turn backside.

worked to perfection.

remember the game in 2021 when Brian Ferentz made an adjustment at a critical point in the game that got us a touchdown that ultimately beat the #3 team in the country ?

Spencer Petras to Nico Ragaini

that was a play that they had run earlier in the game.. the adjustment was having Ragaini break his route and turn backside.

worked to perfection.
Are you still hoping for Penn State players to get injured?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT