ADVERTISEMENT

What is it with GOPs lying about military service? Another stolen valor GOP candidate

NoleATL

HR Legend
Gold Member
Jul 11, 2007

Virginia GOP Senate Nominee Accused Of Stolen Valor​

June 27, 2024 Politics, Republicans

USA Today reports:
The Republican candidate for U.S. Senate in Virginia, a decorated Navy veteran, has made repeated references to becoming disabled after he was “blown up” in combat, and has stressed that he has scars from his military service while Democratic incumbent Sen. Tim Kaine got rich from the safety of Capitol Hill.
Yet the Navy service record for Hung Cao, who won the GOP primary in June, does not show a Purple Heart award, the commendation given to troops who have suffered wounds from “direct or indirect result of enemy action” that required medical attention.
Nor does his record indicate that he received the Navy’s Combat Action Ribbon, which requires that a sailor “must have rendered satisfactory performance under enemy fire while actively participating in ground or surface combat engagement.” USA TODAY obtained Cao’s record from the Navy.

So, he said he was "blown up" in combat an the article is concerned that if he was "blown up" he would have received a purple heart.

You are flailing.

This is 100% cover for Joe not knowing where his son actually died.

• Angry
Reactions: h-hawk
Tim Kaine won Virginia by 16 points in 2018. This guy was toast even before this stolen valor. You can see that he got desperate and decided to lie about his service to give himself a boost. Looks like it backfired bigly. Another sucker and loser bites the dust.

Reactions: h-hawk and NoleATL
One of the usual suspects on ignore that jumps to defend without even reading.
What didn't I read, Bruce, and how is the Blumenthal story different from your hissy fit?

A New York Times investigation found that Blumenthal received at least five military deferments from 1965 to 1970 and records show he enlisted in the Marine Reserve -- a move that "virtually guaranteed that he would not be sent to Vietnam," according to the Times.

The military record also suggests Blumenthal made every effort to avoid going to war, the Times found. The embarrassing findings are fully against what has become an accepted belief about the State's top prosecutor: That he served as a Marine Sgt. during the war.

“We have learned something important since the days that I served in Vietnam,” Blumenthal said to a pro-military group at an event in Norwalk in March 2008, the Times reported. “And you exemplify it. Whatever we think about the war, whatever we call it — Afghanistan or Iraq — we owe our military men and women unconditional support.”

I believe it said he has deployed several times and the navy doesn't comment on why someone would or wouldn't have a specific medal.

The guy never claimed to have a purple heart or the other medal.

You guys are flailing.
Playing devil's advocate here, if what he says is true then he has terrible leadership who failed to submit the DD Form 4187 after he sustained the injuries from enemy action. Another benefit here would be the medical records, witness statements, and an official report of the incident (all part of the submission package by his commanding officer).

Playing devil's advocate here, if what he says is true then he has terrible leadership who failed to submit the DD Form 4187 after he sustained the injuries from enemy action. Another benefit here would be the medical records, witness statements, and an official report of the incident (all part of the submission package by his commanding officer).
Make no mistake, I fully understand he is likely stretching the word "blown up", there is just a giant area between "stolen valor" because a guy didn't get a purple heart and recognizing he did have a bunch of surgeries ect due to military service.

As an example, I watch guys get "blown up" on the football field every Saturday.

Make no mistake, I fully understand he is likely stretching the word "blown up", there is just a giant area between "stolen valor" because a guy didn't get a purple heart and recognizing he did have a bunch of surgeries ect due to military service.

As an example, I watch guys get "blown up" on the football field every Saturday.
Is this kinda like getting an administrative discharge rather than a dishonorable discharge due to pissing hot for coke? I mean why did this one lowly ensign receive an admin for nose candy use while every one else in the boat received a DD?!!

Reactions: Here_4_a_Day
For shits and giggles, you guys should search some of the veterans post on this site and see how many of them talk about being "blown up", there is one that comes out repeatedly.

I'll agree this may be a knee-jerk reaction without additional information. Typically "stolen-valor" in this case would be claiming or even wearing a Purple Heart. At this point, I'd be comfortable simply saying something smells fishy. But I'm not a knee-jerk reaction type person, so there's that.

I'll agree this may be a knee-jerk reaction without additional information. Typically "stolen-valor" in this case would be claiming or even wearing a Purple Heart. At this point, I'd be comfortable simply saying something smells fishy. But I'm not a knee-jerk reaction type person, so there's that.
Some say Knee jerk, some say flailing.

All and all, I prefer Gin.

Notice the lemmings were quick to jump to me being an idiot though. Rises in the east, sets in the west. They won't say a damn word the next time someone on here talks about getting "blown up".

Just stop. Dude lied and got caught. End of story.
But did he? Absence of a medal doesn't automatically equate to that. He has these confirmed medals:
  • Defense Superior Service Medal
  • Legion of Merit
  • Bronze Star Medal: Given for heroic or meritorious achievement or service in a combat zone.
  • Joint Service Commendation Medal
So far, I'm seeing a definite possibility of embellishment. But in absence of a Purple Heart, the Bronze Star could play a significant role in this huge conspiracy theory that requires immediate attention ;) . It's awarded for both heroic acts and meritorious service. Wouldn't it be good to get all the info?

I believe it said he has deployed several times and the navy doesn't comment on why someone would or wouldn't have a specific medal.

The guy never claimed to have a purple heart or the other medal.

You guys are flailing.

But a purple heart is pretty much automatic for anyone receiving combat wounds. So he didn't receive combat wounds, we can infer that.

So, he said he was "blown up" in combat an the article is concerned that if he was "blown up" he would have received a purple heart.

You are flailing.

This is 100% cover for Joe not knowing where his son actually died.

Did you read the article? He was a sailor awarded a combat ribbon, claiming battle scars and not receiving a Purple Heart.

That's phony bullshit. He did use the phrases "blown up" and "shot at". It's not unusual for veterans to exaggerate their experiences, particularly if they have an agenda.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT