ADVERTISEMENT

What is the appropriate response from Israel to Iran?

What would you consider an appropriate response by Israel?

• Total voters
They can always drone zone some aid convoys. The IDF are experts at that.

Condescending? No. I grew up in a tough environment, and I've been exposed to tough environments. I've been places where human predators take advantage of weak people. I've been taught that when attacked, do whatever you can to make sure your attacker never has the ability to hurt you again. It's just that simple, and it's scalable to nations.

Israel has been attacked multiple times this year from outside Israel. Do you really think they should just sit at their border to fight attacks from other countries?

They need to do whatever they can to destroy their attackers' ability to attack again.
In theory, I don’t totally disagree with you. In reality, that’s the rub. Israel is almost certainly more than a match for Iran…but geopolitics of the region imo make it impossible for them to fully assert themselves vs Iran.

If nothing else, Iran is many times their size, with a far larger population. I’m genuinely not sure it would be possible to eliminate irans ability to strike at them again, and history tells us that strategic bombing, missile strikes aren’t nearly as effective at that as we would like to believe.

Not to mention, to fully unleash their military against Iran would run the risk of a much broader war in the region, I highly doubt egypt, Jordan etc would just sit by and do nothing.

I don’t pretend to have all the answers, just expressing my opinion that Israel needs to consider any response here very carefully.

I’m gonna let the Israelis decide what to do since it’s their existence on the line.
I know that’s a novel thought but hey that’s just reasonable to me.
US taxpayers haven ‘given’ Israel over 320 billion dollars since WW II. This is a joint exercise whether we admit it or not.

Which means a lot of the blood is on our hands as well.

Israel’s been treating the Palestinians like rabid dogs for YEARS. And it’s been done with the blessing of damned near every, single politician in DC; democrats and republicans alike.

Now tell me who the real savages are again? 🤷‍♂️

You’re a tool.

You don’t actually have to choose to remain ignorant, but I am confident you will.

While senior Israeli officials have framed this weekend’s Iranian attack as “revealing the true face” of Tehran, the reality is that the proximate cause was Israel’s misjudgment in its strike on an Iranian diplomatic compound in Syria that killed two senior Iranian generals, among others.

After years in which both sides operated within the framework of a largely undeclared set of “rules”, Israel – as analysts have pointed out – bulldozed through every red line to attack a location that Tehran maintains was tantamount to attacking Iranian soil.
“Israel went too far in assassinating the Iranian general, probably, in a diplomatic location,” said Yagil Levy, a professor of military sociology at the Open University of Israel.

“Israel is led by the availability of its weapons systems. And whenever the country or the leadership feels that they have a good intelligence, a good opportunity and available weaponry systems that can do the job, Israel strikes,” he added. “Israel doesn’t have a really strategic approach … the attempt to identify the [connections] between specific military actions and expected benefits is not in the repertoire of the Israeli leadership.”
Of course there's the fact that Iran has and continues to sponsor terrorism around the middle east with Israel being a pretty big target. Everybody knows what's going on.

There has to be a calculated response. The Isreal defense system is fantastic, but had more missiles or drones gotten through it would have been massive destruction and death.

That's just it.

"A calculated response" doesn't have to be an immediate response.

Reactions: ericram
In theory, I don’t totally disagree with you. In reality, that’s the rub. Israel is almost certainly more than a match for Iran…but geopolitics of the region imo make it impossible for them to fully assert themselves vs Iran.

If nothing else, Iran is many times their size, with a far larger population. I’m genuinely not sure it would be possible to eliminate irans ability to strike at them again, and history tells us that strategic bombing, missile strikes aren’t nearly as effective at that as we would like to believe.

Not to mention, to fully unleash their military against Iran would run the risk of a much broader war in the region, I highly doubt egypt, Jordan etc would just sit by and do nothing.

I don’t pretend to have all the answers, just expressing my opinion that Israel needs to consider any response here very carefully.
I encourage you to look at more of the history of the region.
First, Iran is Persian, not Arab. Their ties to the Arab nations are through Islam, but the sects are very different. That's definitely not a trivial tie, but it's an important distinction. Before the fall of the Shah of Iran, the US was an ally of Iran, and protector of Iran against the Arab nations.

Second, the Palestinians are the red headed step children of the Arab nations. They've been notably kicked out of Saudi Arabia and Jordan. The Arab nations want nothing to do with the Palestinians, but like many families, they don't want outsiders picking on their family member either.

Third, there's evidence the Arab countries provided help to Israel prior to and during the attack this past weekend. The Arab nations are publicly saying they won't participate if Israel attacks Iran. That's a very diplomatic way of putting it. The Arab countries consider Iran to be a bigger threat to the region than Israel. The flip side is religion of course.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_League–Iran_relations It's wiki, but the references are genuine.

I encourage you to look at more of the history of the region.
First, Iran is Persian, not Arab. Their ties to the Arab nations are through Islam, but the sects are very different. That's definitely not a trivial tie, but it's an important distinction. Before the fall of the Shah of Iran, the US was an ally of Iran, and protector of Iran against the Arab nations.

Second, the Palestinians are the red headed step children of the Arab nations. They've been notably kicked out of Saudi Arabia and Jordan. The Arab nations want nothing to do with the Palestinians, but like many families, they don't want outsiders picking on their family member either.

Third, there's evidence the Arab countries provided help to Israel prior to and during the attack this past weekend. The Arab nations are publicly saying they won't participate if Israel attacks Iran. That's a very diplomatic way of putting it. The Arab countries consider Iran to be a bigger threat to the region than Israel. The flip side is religion of course.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_League–Iran_relations It's wiki, but the references are genuine.
I’m aware of the basics here - so you think the Arab nations would allow Israel to cross their territory and attack Iran directly?

You are being very condescending here whether you want to admit that or not. I’ll admit I hadn’t heard them say they wouldn’t participate in any attack.

I’m aware of the basics here - so you think the Arab nations would allow Israel to cross their territory and attack Iran directly?

You are being very condescending here whether you want to admit that or not. I’ll admit I hadn’t heard them say they wouldn’t participate in any attack.
I'm not intending to be condescending. My responses have been based on your opinions that aren't consistent with history. If you did consider history, there's some other bias going on. I'm not saying you are wrong, because the area has been in conflict for thousands of years, and there's never been a simple solution.

Israel is in a perpetual fight for it's life as a country. That's the bottom line.

I'm not intending to be condescending. My responses have been based on your opinions that aren't consistent with history. If you did consider history, there's some other bias going on. I'm not saying you are wrong, because the area has been in conflict for thousands of years, and there's never been a simple solution.

Israel is in a perpetual fight for it's life as a country. That's the bottom line.
I have said repeatedly in other threads that this is a complicated situation.

cowardly-trump.jpg

I kinda feel like they launched 300 slow missiles and Israel shot them all down. So shoot 300 slow missiles back and see if they have the same capabilities.
I think Iran reached out to Israel and the Syrian thing and said we have to retaliate, so at 9 tomorrow night were sending in our clunky old SCUDS and you can shoot them down. Saves face for Iran.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT