ADVERTISEMENT

What is the best city in Iowa?

What is the best city in Iowa?

• Total voters
I would nominate Dubuque as Iowa’s most underrated city. It has some nice things going for it, is close to the only true outdoorsy areas of Iowa while also being close to bigger cities like Madison and the QC for other activities.

It’s also kind of pretty, for Iowa:

tzoo.hd.53539.65.630740.Dubuque-Iowa-iStock-508966146.jpg

Iowa City has an endless supply of coeds, no matter how ancient you are becoming in age. No other city has that. Thus this thread is a whole lot of derp. Please do not compare this assessment with Lames.

I will one up that with Delta
like two years ago I was home in Ottumwa and I went up to the what cheer flea market. Anyway so one of the roads was out going from Ottumwa North I think it was up near Hedrick or in between Hedrick and Sigourney... but anyhow we have to drive through Delta and I swear I saw a dead body hanging from the rafters of one of those old empty buildings with no windows

You take college basketball and football out of Iowa City, and it doesn't make the top 20. It's quickly becoming a crap hole with anyone that has any resources fleeing to Coralville, North Liberty, and Solon.
Then you’d have to take away West Des Moines, Ankeny, Urbandale etc from Des Moines.

Depends what you’re looking for. Best city for college life is Iowa City. Post college and single life is Des Moines. If I was raising a family I’d want to live in Cedar Falls. Ames is a mix of the three and not a bad place either. If I ever had to move back to Iowa, I’d end up living in one of those four places.

Depends what you’re looking for. Best city for college life is Iowa City. Post college and single life is Des Moines. If I was raising a family I’d want to live in Cedar Falls. Ames is a mix of the three and not a bad place either. If I ever had to move back to Iowa, I’d end up living in one of those four places.
Iowa City is superior to Ames in every single facet.

Reactions: SpyderHawk
You take college basketball and football out of Iowa City, and it doesn't make the top 20. It's quickly becoming a crap hole with anyone that has any resources fleeing to Coralville, North Liberty, and Solon.
When was the last time those weren't in Iowa City? Not to mention the other things like Hancher.

The 9th grade football teams from either side of Ankeny would running clock the varsity from SC West or North. Not too concerned.

Good thing Swag doesn’t ‘Ef with west or North. I can’t speak for now, but when I was in school we would come down and take it to the Des Moines city schools and then split with the suburban schools.

In basketball, it didn’t matter though. No one in Des Moines wanted that heat.

like two years ago I was home in Ottumwa and I went up to the what cheer flea market. Anyway so one of the roads was out going from Ottumwa North I think it was up near Hedrick or in between Hedrick and Sigourney... but anyhow we have to drive through Delta and I swear I saw a dead body hanging from the rafters of one of those old empty buildings with no windows

Their residents are referred to as 'Deltoids'

The 9th grade football teams from either side of Ankeny would running clock the varsity from SC West or North. Not too concerned.
My kid is hearing rumblings that there will be no jv team or sophomore team, just everyone 10-12 dressing for varsity. Any legs to it?

The best city in Iowa to live in....it depends on your age.

There are young couples raising a family...they will
look for quality schools & employment opportunities
for the husband and wife.

There are empty nesters who are looking to downsize...
as they look forward to retirement. Recreational and
cultural opportunities might be their major concern.

Most people regardless of where they live do the same thing; Go to work, come back from work, mess around in their yard, watch Netflix, go to bed. Location is overrated.

My kid is hearing rumblings that there will be no jv team or sophomore team, just everyone 10-12 dressing for varsity. Any legs to it?
I was pretty sure they'll all dress varsity, unless they limit travel team, and play combined JV/soph games on Mondays. But I just checked school website, and there is no schedule for JV or sophs. I have no idea how/why that decision was made. 9th and 8th grade are still playing.

Reactions: Tenacious E
I was pretty sure they'll all dress varsity, unless they limit travel team, and play combined JV/soph games on Mondays. But I just checked school website, and there is no schedule for JV or sophs. I have no idea how/why that decision was made. 9th and 8th grade are still playing.
What a weird year. Neat experience to dress for varsity even if pt is limited/non-existent for most sophomores. It is a shame though to not get reps/pt for underclassmen in a jv setting. It is what it is I guess.

What a weird year. Neat experience to dress for varsity even if pt is limited/non-existent for most sophomores. It is a shame though to not get reps/pt for underclassmen in a jv setting. It is what it is I guess.
Like I said, I have no idea what's going on. Maybe some CIML schools don't want to play subvarsity and the others (suburbs) will still put together JV/soph schedules. Ottumwa really f'ed us over by deciding AFTER (not before) scheduling that they only want to play 5 games. Valley and us lost a game in an already shortened season. That was also a game when the sophs/JV would have played the second half.

Reactions: Tenacious E
Like I said, I have no idea what's going on. Maybe some CIML schools don't want to play subvarsity and the others (suburbs) will still put together JV/soph schedules. Ottumwa really f'ed us over by deciding AFTER (not before) scheduling that they only want to play 5 games. Valley and us lost a game in an already shortened season. That was also a game when the sophs/JV would have played the second half.
Had not heard about Ottumwa bailing. Kind of just understanding how all of these pieces fit together but maybe they don't!

Ankeny’s website shows 10/JV
game on the 31st. Who knows

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT