ADVERTISEMENT

What is the worst US major Airport?

Orlando can go **** itself. First airport I had been to where the gates don't connect. Went through the wrong security line and had to go back out and through security again that connected to my gate.

My dumb fault, but still really stupid design.

Also, half the airport is full of screaming/crying kids with Mickey Mouse ears on. My own personal hell.

Take the delays at O’Hare out of the equation. The terminals are not passenger friendly. The concourses are narrow, the gates get tight - especially in Terminal 1 (United) at either end of the B or C concourses.

Rain buckets collecting water from the ceilings of Terminal 1.

Homeless and the delightful smell of urine in the underground tunnels and access to CTA.

To take the train to another terminal, you have to fully exit the concourse, exit security, exit check-in/baggage, and basically go outside. Then repeat the process of going through check in/security/concourses in your next terminal.

Add in that everyone has to go to Terminal 2 for ride shares now - even Terminal 5 - and it’s a flipping joke.

Reactions: TunzaHawk
As others have said CLT, by a wide margin….if I never connect through there again it would be fine with me. I actually avoid American Airlines all together because of it. Every time I have been through there it has been a miserable experience.

ATL would be my second choice, but it’s not particularly close to CLT in the race for the worst.

Also, 20 points from Hufflepuff for OP’s sh!tty thread title grammar.

CLT, hate it, I have flown in on a carrier, connecting with the same carrier, and went from one side of hell to the other and I swear all the walking is uphill.
The worst part about it is you know you are screwed before you land. As the flight attendant is taking the last drink orders and asks where are you headed and you say connecting at B15 ( current gate E31 and she looks at you and says, it is really not that far of a walk, yeah it is

I've flown through CLT a lot and love it. Even if going from concourse to concourse, it's never that far of a walk. I have, on average, had to walk MUCH further in O'Hare, Denver and SLC, and those walks are worse not just further.

As to the OP, Reagan is horrible. They must have decided they wanted the airport to do it's namesake justice.

Reactions: 2bagger22
What’s wrong with Denver? Sure you don’t get shopping but who cares? Nice wide terminals and gates.

My problem is that you can land in the same concourse you're leaving from and have to walk 2 miles. Yeah, it's spread out and not too crowded, but they make up for it in being able to have the Indy 500 in a single concourse.

I've flown through CLT a lot and love it. Even if going from concourse to concourse, it's never that far of a walk. I have, on average, had to walk MUCH further in O'Hare, Denver and SLC, and those walks are worse not just further.

As to the OP, Reagan is horrible. They must have decided they wanted the airport to do it's namesake justice.
Reagan has a legal seafood so it is off the list for worst

I hated San Diego bc we had a 3 hour layover and to get food in the terminal next to us we had to leave TSA and re-enter the other terminal TSA, then to back to our terminal we had to go through TSA again. Huge pain in the ass.

Pheonix had the absolute worst car rental system I've ever experienced. Flight landed at 6 and didn't leave with our reserved car until 9:30.

O'Hare in general just sucks. If i'm going through O'hare, I just expect to be delayed.

Atlanta and Ohare are awful, and the areas surrounding Kandahar & Kabul Int’l Airports are some of the worst, up armored rental cars hard to come by. (Ok not US)

I love HNL, landing in paradise, open air. Mai Tais on Waikiki about an hour later.

Last edited:
I guess I would add the Kona airport on the big island. Everything is open air and outside, which is either awesome or the opposite of awesome, depending on mood.

My problem is that you can land in the same concourse you're leaving from and have to walk 2 miles. Yeah, it's spread out and not too crowded, but they make up for it in being able to have the Indy 500 in a single concourse.
True. I like it though. Hate older, crowded airports and dodging kiosks and the old people transport carts.

Next time through, get some Bojangles. I like CLT, but I live here, so I’m always either leaving or coming home.

We’ve got Bojangles in Tally. It’s not my favorite fried chicken although the sides are on par with Popeyes. It’s much better than KFC and Churches, but it’s not quite as good as 1) our local Tally and surrounding area only chain Lindy’s; 2) the Chicago style chain we have down here in Southern Georgia/Northern Florida called Hip Hop Fish and Chicken; 3) the FL/GA/SC chain started in Florida despite the name, Maryland Fried Chicken; 4) the “secret” large U.S. chain that makes amazing chicken ”no one knows about”, Krispy Krunchy Chicken or KKC; 5) The Korean international chain Bonchon Chicken; 6) the Filipino international chain Jollibee’s; and two chains we don’t have easy access to in 7) Gus’ World Famous Fried Chicken and 8) Hattie B’s both of which have only made it to Atlanta (and Birmingham) so far. Obviously there’s a ton of Mom and Pop locals that are better too but I was sticking strictly to chains as anything else is unfair. I do like it better than Publix fried chicken but not as good as Food Lion if you want to add in grocery stores for comparison and I realize that may be considered heretical by some Floridians who love all food from Publix.

So I seldom go to Bojangles for chicken even though it’s right around the corner. Where I DO go for Bojangles is the breakfast biscuits. Their breakfast biscuits I‘d rank third amongst all chains only behind 1) Tudor’s Biscuit World and 2) Hardee’s. Tudor’s is a bit of a drive as the closest is in Panama City Beach and Hardee’s stops selling breakfast biscuits at 10:30. So if I want a breakfast biscuit at lunch or dinner (and having gone to a Tidewater Virginia law school I do like country ham biscuits for lunch or dinner) then my only and best option in Tallahassee is Bojangles.

Not to pile on O’Hare but I feel like if you actually find a clean toilet then you hit the jackpot. Makes sense as here is a copy of the O’Hare Custodial Services training manual (note they identify the problem but the manual has nothing in it regarding remedying the problem):

9781979953245_p0_v1_s550x406.jpg

We’ve got Bojangles in Tally. It’s not my favorite fried chicken although the sides are on par with Popeyes. It’s much better than KFC and Churches, but it’s not quite as good as 1) our local Tally and surrounding area only chain Lindy’s; 2) the Chicago style chain we have down here in Southern Georgia/Northern Florida called Hip Hop Fish and Chicken; 3) the FL/GA/SC chain started in Florida despite the name, Maryland Fried Chicken; 4) the “secret” large U.S. chain that makes amazing chicken ”no one knows about”, Krispy Krunchy Chicken or KKC; 5) The Korean international chain Bonchon Chicken; 6) the Filipino international chain Jollibee’s; and two chains we don’t have easy access to in 7) Gus’ World Famous Fried Chicken and 8) Hattie B’s both of which have only made it to Atlanta (and Birmingham) so far. Obviously there’s a ton of Mom and Pop locals that are better too but I was sticking strictly to chains as anything else is unfair. I do like it better than Publix fried chicken but not as good as Food Lion if you want to add in grocery stores for comparison and I realize that may be considered heretical by some Floridians who love all food from Publix.

So I seldom go to Bojangles for chicken even though it’s right around the corner. Where I DO go for Bojangles is the breakfast biscuits. Their breakfast biscuits I‘d rank third amongst all chains only behind 1) Tudor’s Biscuit World and 2) Hardee’s. Tudor’s is a bit of a drive as the closest is in Panama City Beach and Hardee’s stops selling breakfast biscuits at 10:30. So if I want a breakfast biscuit at lunch or dinner (and having gone to a Tidewater Virginia law school I do like country ham biscuits for lunch or dinner) then my only and best option in Tallahassee is Bojangles.
Holy hell. Did you just write a dissertation on bojangles in an airport thread?!

My vote is Atlanta. My ine time there for any length of time was dreadful.

I've glown thru Miami a bunch on dive trips & nevet had any issues. There are some good food choices, and whenever we had a long layover we'd go up to the pool at the top of the hotel & have lunch and a couple of drinks..great way to kill a couple of hours.

Denver's new space for Southwest is really nice, spread out and a lot of charging stations. The only problem is that there is no where to eat....you have to walk a mile to get to the three restaurants in the terminal. There are bunch of Grab N Go places in the middle with $15 ham sandwiches.

I was referring specifically to options in the CLT airport. Not a lot of mom & pops there.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
STL has the nastiest bathroom I’ve ever pooped in. Worse than the port-a-John at Finkbine lot on a football Saturday. Admittedly, my Finkbine poop was at 7AM before they got absolutely destroyed.
Relatedly, pre-renovation at kinnick, the bathrooms with the piss troughs and stalls with no doors on them were probably worse than bathrooms in war-torn third world countries.

Reactions: WisestIowan
While there last week I asked the lady if she can print my boarding pass. She quipped that I can go to a kiosk and do that. So instead of just pushing a couple of buttons I now needed to go back out, get in line to go to a kiosk, and push a couple of buttons to print a boarding pass. I just looked at her and said thanks for nothing.

voicemail-dr-rick.gif

Last edited:
Cedar McCrapids needs some better form of eatery than that lame bar and the coffee store kiosk.

From my experience, Ohare, Atlanta and Miami are the worst. My all time on-time rate at ohare has to be in the single digits.
ATL & MIA are my two. If I fly Delta I connect through MSP or DTW instead of ATL have been burned way too many times. I swear I have taxi'd for an hour there before. We ran to make an intl flight and made it on time but would not let us board since apparently there is a rule that you have to board an hour before departure time. Had friends on flight and they sat on the tarmac for another hour. We had to spend the night in a dump hotel and catch first flight out next morning. Love the airline games they all play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT