ADVERTISEMENT

What is your leaf removal strategy?

bdcolt45er

HB All-American
Jun 11, 2010
I generally think it is best to wait until they are almost completely dropped.if a do it intermittently then it feels like I'm doing the same amount of work to cover the same area. I rake mine into the street and then mulch them with the mower, and then scope them up with a snow shovel.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
flame thrower kill it with fire GIF

Wait for them all to come down, then blow/rake them out of landscaping beds, my playground area, deck/patio, etc. out into the lawn. After that, mulch them.

Reactions: millah_22
-Mulch them until there are too many to mulch.
-Check windfinder.com for a day with high winds
-blow to side of yard according to direction of wind
-watch the wind take them away

I generally think it is best to wait until they are almost completely dropped.if a do it intermittently then it feels like I'm doing the same amount of work to cover the same area. I rake mine into the street and then mulch them with the mower, and then scope them up with a snow shovel.
I have 3 huge white oaks in the a pretty small yard. If I don't remove the leaves, it's too much to handle. The first removals are about getting rid of the mass. The last removal is about a spotless yard and more work goes into getting every ****ing leaf off the property. White oaks of course hold on to their leaves until early to mid December, the bastards.

In my twenties, I ran a gardening company and the motivation to getting every leaf comes from doing clean up in the spring for folks who didn't clean up any leaves in the fall. Wet leaves in the spring make the job 5 times worse than fall rake out.

Mulch!

C'mon wind!

I'm not really joking either. My yard lays out in a fashion where the normal late fall/pre-snow winter western winds tends to blow leaves out of my yard quite nicely.

When we lived in NJ the volume was way to high to mulch, which would be my first choice. My thought was wait until the trees are bare the. Spend a weekend getting them to the curb where the town would pick them up.

Mrs Radley felt we should spend the entirety of autumn outside catching every leaf before it touches the ground and place them in a hundred yard bags.

Reactions: The Tradition
Leave them be. I’ll grab a few wheelbarrows’s worth for the garden and a couple for the compost, but other than that, I leave them be for the bugs.

ETA: it helps that I live outside of town.

Reactions: gohawks50
Leave them be. I’ll grab a few wheelbarrows’s worth for the garden and a couple for the compost, but other than that, I leave them be for the bugs.

ETA: it helps that I live outside of town.
I’m not sure where you live, but it was a bad year for tree disease around CR/IC. Leaf spot on lilacs (which I have never seen before), hypoxylon canker on aspen, oak wilt, anthracnose, verticillium wilt on maple…leaving infected leaf debris undisturbed can lead to issues the following year. Not a certainty, just possible.

Just mowing the stuff and moving it around can be really helpful.

Way up here in NW Wisconsin at the summer home it's been so dry for a month now we had high winds with gusts up to 35 mph.
I'm surrounded by 2 acres of trees. Got up on the house roof with the blower and blew them off to the ground. Then blew them into the timber edges. All done. usually when we come back in the spring there are leaves all over that had not fallen when we left. Not this year.
Most my trees are bare. Leaving next Friday.

Last edited:
Idk about out east but here in Northwest Iowa we are expecting very strong winds on Monday. Should clear the trees so I can mulch sometime next week.

Get them early and often (~1x/wk)

Use large rake to rake into small piles around the yard. Every 6-10 ft or so
Plug in the Toro leaf vac and vac them up.
Dump into compost bin.

Toro leaf vac pulverizes them into tiny pieces that reduce the volume by 3x of what they'd normally be.
I either send them off to the city compost, or sprinkle them around my yard as fertilizer after the leaf vac has chopped them into tiny bits.

Whole process for the front yard takes less than an hour.

Back yard is tougher because I have to leaf blow them into corners and eliminate any dog poops underneath as I'm going. But leaf blower separates out leaves from poop, and the leaf vac will not pick up mulch, sticks or dog poops. Only leaves.

I’m not sure where you live, but it was a bad year for tree disease around CR/IC. Leaf spot on lilacs (which I have never seen before), hypoxylon canker on aspen, oak wilt, anthracnose, verticillium wilt on maple…leaving infected leaf debris undisturbed can lead to issues the following year. Not a certainty, just possible.

Yeah, I don’t know how forest’s have thrived for millennia without mowing or raking. Stupid nature!

Reactions: gohawks50

confused-confused-look.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT