ADVERTISEMENT

What is your company's PTO policy?

How is that any different than it would be with limited PTO?
The return to the office workload concept is still the same. But at least with a limited PTO policy an employee can point to that and say, my compensation includes XX number of days off that I'm entitled to and need to be given. Can't do that with "unlimited".

Another anecdote to add. In my MBA class on Managing Employee Performance, we talked a bit about unlimited PTO and the advantages of doing that. There's a reason that it is being pushed more by companies and it isn't for the benefit of the employees. I also have a note, from 3 years ago when I took the class, saying that removing the PTO liability saves companies an average of $1900 per employee per year from eliminating overhead, the accounting things talked about already, and other reasons. For a company with 10,000 employees that adds up quickly.

Reactions: stickman80
The return to the office workload concept is still the same. But at least with a limited PTO policy an employee can point to that and say, my compensation includes XX number of days off that I'm entitled to and need to be given. Can't do that with "unlimited".

Another anecdote to add. In my MBA class on Managing Employee Performance, we talked a bit about unlimited PTO and the advantages of doing that. There's a reason that it is being pushed more by companies and it isn't for the benefit of the employees. I also have a note, from 3 years ago when I took the class, saying that removing the PTO liability saves companies an average of $1900 per employee per year from eliminating overhead, the accounting things talked about already, and other reasons. For a company with 10,000 employees that adds up quickly.
The excess accrued liability really only happens if there's also a carryover policy.

The unlimited PTO policy's benefit, whether good for the employer or employee, depends on how the company treats it, both in presentation to employees, and in practice. At my company, billable employees are punished in the bonus calculation for taking time off. They are evaluated based on utilization, which doesn't factor in PTO. Admin employees get a better benefit than revenue producers.

I take great pride in what I have done with my life. Worked my ass off to get where I’m at. It’s why I look down on folks like you who want the handouts or bitch about their life.

Keep posting…cause I’m enjoying every second of it

It’s too bad you still have to work. Should have worked harder.

Reactions: ping72
I don't understand not providing pics of the wife. Too lazy?

I googled OutbackBowl wife and came up with these. I assume yours is the middle or right one, because I'm taking the one on the left.

1024.NFLgirls.mh.013013.jpg
Yes, we all have hotter than hot wives, just like our endless bank accounts full of millions of dollars. Regarding the Mrs, she is a person that likes her privacy so doesn’t want her picture taken or used in public so I’ll just say mix of Elizabeth Shue and Diane Lane. 😜

That depends on how you get your PTO. If it's accrued over time, the company has to pay it out when you leave. If it's a "drop in" model where on January 1 they dump the year's worth of PTO into your bucket, they don't have to pay out an accrual.
I was always told that it is based on employer policy. There is no broad rule that pto must be paid on termination of employment.

Reactions: beanerhawk
The excess accrued liability really only happens if there's also a carryover policy.

The unlimited PTO policy's benefit, whether good for the employer or employee, depends on how the company treats it, both in presentation to employees, and in practice. At my company, billable employees are punished in the bonus calculation for taking time off. They are evaluated based on utilization, which doesn't factor in PTO. Admin employees get a better benefit than revenue producers.
I was wondering how it would play in situations where employees hours were charged to contracts.

Do they lump all sick time and vacation time together? Do they split them? Are you allowed certain amount of hours per month?

We switched to an unlimited PTO a few years back. They pitched it as more of a work/life balance approach. I was getting about 5-6 weeks when we made the switch and we could carry 40 hours over annually. I don't take nearly that amount anymore but "technically" could take 2x that amount if I wanted to. Good move on their part
I get 184 hours preloaded 1 Jan. I get 10 sick days. If I have to take more than 10 in a row, I have to go on short-term disability. I also get 9 holidays. I've only taken sick days one time because I'm remote and can just put my laptop in bed with me if needed. I didn't take sick leave during my bout with COVID, but I did this past year w/ the flu.

Good grief. I responded to the OP w/o reading the the rest of the thread. Typical HROT, normal adult conversations related to the OP with infighting and bickering squeezed in between for extra flavor. I love hate love this place.

Depends on the state, in Iowa you don't have to pay out any vacation or PTO upon an employee quitting if the employer doesn't have a policy stating it will do so.
Ah, that's possible. The company I work for is located in Michigan.

I get 4-5 weeks off. I use every single day of that shit every year. Right now I have 60 hours accrued but I have 80 hours of trips on the calendar.
That’s pretty sweet.

My huge issue is that my wife only has 2 weeks and I have 3 times that.

With the Iowa property now, she can work from home and I can play around

That’s pretty sweet.

Simple, go on trips without your wife. My trip in 6 weeks is just with my brothers.

Reactions: millah_22
You do know there is this thing called “work from home “. I don’t really get sick much but if i have that “sick” feeling, I just work from home that day.
Yes… tell me about how you were working from home 23 years ago.

Reactions: BelemNole
Not certain on sick time. I’ve never really taken any.
I have 40 hours PTO, and 80 hours vacation.

When we were bought out, our parent company converted a week of vacation to PTO.

Reactions: Finance85
Ah.... conversely, we've found the pussy that can't come in today cuz 'I gots the sniffles' or 'broke a nail'
I think I’ve taken 2 sick days in last 3-4 years, but that’s irrelevant.

Any idiot that brags about not taking sick time like it’s a badge of honor is 100% likely to be a giant douchebag. That’s just a fact.

And, yes… I’ve seen “that guy” show up to the office with 104 degree fever and throwing up, thinking he’s doing something noble and good for the company even though he’s doing hardly any actual work. Then the whole freaking department gets sick and the company comes to a grinding halt causing huge profit losses.

And, yes… that’s the exactly why some large companies are getting strict about not coming into work contagious.

I think I’ve taken 2 sick days in last 3-4 years, but that’s irrelevant.

Any idiot that brags about not taking sick time like it’s a badge of honor is 100% likely to be a giant douchebag. That’s just a fact.

And, yes… I’ve seen “that guy” show up to the office with 104 degree fever and throwing up, thinking he’s doing something noble and good for the company even though he’s doing hardly any actual work. Then the whole freaking department gets sick and the company comes to a grinding halt causing huge profit losses.

And, yes… that’s the exactly why some large companies are getting strict about not coming into work contagious.
You appear to be similar to me. I just don’t get sick much if at all. I take care of myself.

That’s pretty sweet.

4 weeks to spend with the mistress? That is only an issue if you get caught.

It likely wouldn't be much different. But one of the selling points in her recruitment was unlimited PTO, leaving early, etc. At least with limited she'd be more willing to take it bc of a 'use it or lose it" mentality,' or at least she'd have it paid out when she left.

She left using very little pto and nothing paid out.
IMO, that's on her, not the company.

It absolutely benefits the company by not having to keep track of vacation time and accrue payouts from previous years. It also helps the employee who needs a month off suddenly to care for a loved on after they've used what would have been all of their PTO.

Companies understand that employees value flexibility and that they need to take time off to be productive. They also understand the old ways of managing that are expensive and don't provide assurance that people take the time they need or have time when they need it.

• Haha
Reactions: Pinehawk
You are entitled to your own opinion, but you really don't know much more than I've shared. I wasn't really looking for a blame game.
Well, you're suggesting that the company is taking her PTO away from her.

Change is hard for most people.

• Sad
No. What I suggested is that unlimited PTO isn't exactly the amazing thing companies tout it to be.
You said people don't want to use PTO (when it's unlimited) because there's so much work to do when they return. I asked how that is different than when PTO is limited - the work to do coming back is still there.

The term "unlimited" is a misnomer anyway - it's really "untracked". For those against this it appears it's not the ability to take time off that they object to, it's being owed time and accumulating it for future payout. That's not the purpose of PTO.

No. What I suggested is that unlimited PTO isn't exactly the amazing thing companies tout it to be.
Because it isn't unlimited.....it's conditional on "The Companies Needs" which means they can say no OR that you must take your company laptop along and wotk while you are off.

I currently accrue 10 hrs/month. We get separate time for Vacation days and Personal days. I think I cap at 160 hours on vacation and 80 hours on personal. Sad part is I get the warning about hitting the cap way too frequently. Deadlines and volume of work at Amazon make taking extended PTO difficult.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT