ADVERTISEMENT

What one place have you been that you would tell others to see before you die?

Are you guys just picking exotic places or are you actually picking something that will change someone before death?

The coast of Santa Cruz is beautiful but it isn't going to make you think deeper or change your life.

I mean yeah, there is certainly a good opportunity for reflection as your starring out at the ocean.
For me both. Its breathtaking. To get there you go thru amazing poverty.

Anything different seems to be the only requirement.
I think "different" is a big thing, but also what you take away from being somewhere different.

I grew up with too many people who've rarely ever left the state, nevertheless the country, and their worldview is extremely limited. A lot of the people who are not just "USA #1" but more like "USA ONLY!" are the people who've never been anywhere, seen anything different, or really interacted with other cultures. Maybe they've gone to Cancun or even Jamaica, and spent their time at the resort being drunk around other Americans - they went somewhere different and took nothing new away from the experience.

The first time I went out of country (not counting the Mexico border towns) was to England. My friend's family took me to Windsor Castle. The big thing I recognized is that everything in that castle was older than anything to do with our country (a simplification that ignores indigenous artifacts - I get it). How can we be expected to understand the world around us if we never really get to learn about, or experience, anything prior to the 1770s?

You can go to all these different, foreign things, and still not leave with any greater appreciation. Or, you can go to these places, and have these experiences, and allow that increased understanding to become a part of who you are, and how you see things.

my top two are Glacier NP and Iceland. Glacier was amazing, been twice and looking forward to the next trip. Highline Trail gives amazing views, especially if you do the death march up to Grinell glacier overlook. Iceland had a feel like Glacier but yet different and amazing in its own aspect. We loved going in the summer with all the flowing waterfalls and abundance of greens. The people are so nice and it’s not so full of tourists. We also went back in winter to see the northern lights. It’s still beautiful in the winter with snow covered mountains and frozen waterfalls. Looking forward to taking the kids on our next visit

Reactions: BrianNole777
I think "different" is a big thing, but also what you take away from being somewhere different.

I grew up with too many people who've rarely ever left the state, nevertheless the country, and their worldview is extremely limited. A lot of the people who are not just "USA #1" but more like "USA ONLY!" are the people who've never been anywhere, seen anything different, or really interacted with other cultures. Maybe they've gone to Cancun or even Jamaica, and spent their time at the resort being drunk around other Americans - they went somewhere different and took nothing new away from the experience.

The first time I went out of country (not counting the Mexico border towns) was to England. My friend's family took me to Windsor Castle. The big thing I recognized is that everything in that castle was older than anything to do with our country (a simplification that ignores indigenous artifacts - I get it). How can we be expected to understand the world around us if we never really get to learn about, or experience, anything prior to the 1770s?

You can go to all these different, foreign things, and still not leave with any greater appreciation. Or, you can go to these places, and have these experiences, and allow that increased understanding to become a part of who you are, and how you see things.
Did you happen to do the tour of Tower of London? That was pretty damn cool, at least to young Franklin 35 years ago.

My wife and I spent 11 days on the Island of Crete in 2016. I would go there every year if I could afford it. We want to Matala because of the Joni Mitchell song Carey and it was special. But the entire Island is incredible. 110 miles long, maybe 45 miles wide with an 8000-foot mountain in the center. History, beauty, hospitality - it has it all. If you are going to Greece, get out of Athens, take the overnight ferry to Heraklion, and explore.

Reactions: BrianNole777
my top two are Glacier NP and Iceland. Glacier was amazing, been twice and looking forward to the next trip. Highline Trail gives amazing views, especially if you do the death march up to Grinell glacier overlook. Iceland had a feel like Glacier but yet different and amazing in its own aspect. We loved going in the summer with all the flowing waterfalls and abundance of greens. The people are so nice and it’s not so full of tourists. We also went back in winter to see the northern lights. It’s still beautiful in the winter with snow covered mountains and frozen waterfalls. Looking forward to taking the kids on our next visit
Can you tell me more about the northern lights? We went to Iceland in June and did a tour of the southern coastline. Started in Reykjavik and ended back there. We are 100% going back to hit Northern coastline. I think we should go in winter to see the northern lights, but we also hate cold weather lol.

I am sure we have some folks who have been to amazing places.

Mine would be the Virgin Islands, especially the British. Was a bit blown away. Felt like I was in the Mediterranean exploring the Greek Isles. Amazing sailing and diving plus some nice mountain vistas as well. And a mere 2.5 hour flight from Miami.
I’ve been to Tortola, nice mountains. I liked Dominica better though. Most mountainous island in the Caribbean. Beautiful waterfalls coming down from the Calderas.

St. Peter's Square on Easter Sunday

(and I'm firmly non-religious...but it was still a spectacle)

St. Peter's Square on Easter Sunday

(and I'm firmly non-religious...but it was still a spectacle)
It was one of the most impressive things we saw in Italy (yeah, the the Vatican is technically not Italy) and I can only imagine what it is like full of people. Also, I am not religious and sure as hell am not catholic.

Went to Maui a couple years ago, I drove the road to Hana with my wife and sister’s family in a Tahoe. FVCKING wild, but it was a site to see. We stopped at the black beach as well. Reminded me of the black sand beaches in Iceland. Much different climates obviously.
The north route is the same but higher.
Think golf cart path at 2000 feet with no rails.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT