ADVERTISEMENT

What position will Coop play in the NFL?

What position will Coop play in the NFL?

• Total voters
It’s not letting me pick multiple. Right away he will play cornerback eventually moving to safety. He will also be a returner during part of his career.

Not to dog on the kid but I just don’t see him being the first round talent he is projected but I do believe he will have a good, long career by NFL standards.

I think if he's healthy he will blow away the combine and climb the draft charts. He was a track & basketball star. What's his verticle leap (+40in)? 40 time (4.4 or better)? shuttle time? I think all will be elite.

Oh, and while we are at it, the poll is flawed. DB is not technically a position. It is a position group including CB's and Safties.

Shut down corner. He will be the Christian McCaffrey of his position. And punt returner.

Last edited:
I said slot receiver because the team that drafts him will probably try him there first, with the option of putting him back at corner. He is a player with a nose for the end zone. The league is offense driven, not defensive driven. There are only so many elite QBs out there, and the draft is seen an an opportunity to get the quarterback "weapons" he can dump the ball off to to help score points.

This thread just proves Dominique Foxworth correct. People can’t wait to put him at another position.

He's not lockdown for CB. He makes plays. Safety.
Yes, safety where he can hawk the ball, forgive the pun. He should be a punt returner and maybe a kick returner. Very good at gunner on special teams.

He is the kind of player NFL GMs love because he is so useful and can free up a roster spot. For instance, a team like the cowboys needed a big fat strong Butch Wilfork type player at DTackle this year for 1st and 2nd downs this year. And some more 4 and 5 wideout teams might even use

Cooper at wideout or he opens roster space for an extra wideout

We didnt see Coop do this but he probably would have been an outstanding jet sweep type wideout for real and as a decoy to hold back the DEnd and Lbkrs on the back side of a running play.

You remember what Melvin Gordon did at Wisky his first couple of years while there were upper classment RBs ahead of him. Their coaches didnt make him sit, they used his speed in many ways to bend and fake out defenses.

We saw Wetjen have a few good jet sweeps in early games but Brian never used him much at all after game 4. A fast player like that can take a jet sweep hand off, or fake the jet sweep and just go out to the flat sideline area as a safety valve type, or run the wheel route after the jet sweep action.

How fast is Coop after a broken leg? CB in the NFL is such a different animal, all weaknesses are exploited.
Wasn’t it a broken fibula? It hardly bears a load. As long as he heals up properly before getting back to training he will be just as fast, just as strong as before.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Yes, safety where he can hawk the ball, forgive the pun. He should be a punt returner and maybe a kick returner. Very good at gunner on special teams.

He is the kind of player NFL GMs love because he is so useful and can free up a roster spot. For instance, a team like the cowboys needed a big fat strong Butch Wilfork type player at DTackle this year for 1st and 2nd downs this year. And some more 4 and 5 wideout teams might even use

Cooper at wideout or he opens roster space for an extra wideout
This is the only reason I think he should be a safety. I think he’d have more opportunities to make plays. But I think he could play any position in the defensive backfield at a high level. Which has to be quite valuable

Wasn’t it a broken fibula? It hardly bears a load. As long as he heals up properly before getting back to training he will be just as fast, just as strong as before.
The orthopedics are just so amazingly good now. MRIs, xrays, micro surgery techniques when necessary, some types of stimulation on the bones, the physical therapists bring you back to where you need to be. I would expect and hope Cooper is 100% very soon.

I just had left knee total replacement surgery and am doing really well after just 4 weeks. I went 15 years from my injury to surgery and in that time the surgeon told me my left foot had moved about 2.5 inches more towards the midline of my body because of the bone on bone wear.

My lower leg is back lined up correctly. The physical therapists make sure you are walking and moving with the correct gait.

We didnt see Coop do this but he probably would have been an outstanding jet sweep type wideout for real and as a decoy to hold back the DEnd and Lbkrs on the back side of a running play.

You remember what Melvin Gordon did at Wisky his first couple of years while there were upper classment RBs ahead of him. Their coaches didnt make him sit, they used his speed in many ways to bend and fake out defenses.

We saw Wetjen have a few good jet sweeps in early games but Brian never used him much at all after game 4. A fast player like that can take a jet sweep hand off, or fake the jet sweep and just go out to the flat sideline area as a safety valve type, or run the wheel route after the jet sweep action.
The sweep didn’t work with Wetjen cause Brian would bring him in for the play. Defenses knew right away.

If Wetjen could have gotten more than 2 snaps and run a few different routes….maybe some surprise haha

I think safety is his best bet. I can’t see him hanging with a Justin Jefferson or Chase

He’s a great athlete. He tackles well. And he’s a ball hawk and threat to score after a pick.

Micah Hyde was a great returner and athletic as hell and his career really took off after moving to safety.

I see Cooper having a better career than Micah if he stays healthy

I think if he's healthy he will blow away the combine and climb the draft charts. He was a track & basketball star. What's his verticle leap (+40in)? 40 time (4.4 or better)? shuttle time? I think all will be elite.

I don't think he'll be heathy to compete at Combine.

I think Cooper is a sensational colllege player, but if I was NFL gm I would be concerned about lack of strength/weight to stay healthy and top end speed to play CB. I think he ends up at safety, but that isn't usually and high draft pick position. He could still be highly successful playing Safety. He's such a gifted natural athlete and has football intelligence off the charts.

Safety and punt returner. All Pro at both, eventually.
Not sure about that. Everybody is fast and talented in the NFL. Coop should have a solid career, but all Pro doesn't come easy. He's got a better shot at safety than returner. He doesn't have elite speed but he has incredible football instincts.

Hope Coop heads to the Steelers. We need to improve our secondary terribly bad, but Coop can do more than defense and that could really help the Steelers on so many fronts.

I don't think he'll be heathy to compete at Combine.

I think Cooper is a sensational colllege player, but if I was NFL gm I would be concerned about lack of strength/weight to stay healthy and top end speed to play CB. I think he ends up at safety, but that isn't usually and high draft pick position. He could still be highly successful playing Safety. He's such a gifted natural athlete and has football intelligence off the charts.
Why would you be concerned about his strength? Dude is RIPPED and he plays against peers in the B1G who will be pro's, and he's a sure tackler. He'll be just fine...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT