ADVERTISEMENT

What QB Transfers First?

I've always wondered when in 2002 you had like 35 PPG and was an awesome offense that got us to the Orange Bowl led by Brad Banks, runner up Heisman, and very mobile QB. It was fun. My favorite year so far in my life as a fan since 1982. Why did we go a 180? Nothing against our statue QB's over the years but we went mobile once and it came up gold. Why did we never really value that? Tate was mobile as well but not the mobile guy Banks was.

I've always wondered when in 2002 you had like 35 PPG and was an awesome offense that got us to the Orange Bowl led by Brad Banks, runner up Heisman, and very mobile QB. It was fun. My favorite year so far in my life as a fan since 1982. Why did we go a 180? Nothing against our statue QB's over the years but we went mobile once and it came up gold. Why did we never really value that? Tate was mobile as well but not the mobile guy Banks was.
The OL was solid that year led by Gallery at left tackle.

'02-'04 were "too sexy" for KF.

I agree, though; those years, especially '02, were really fun years to be a Hawkeye football fan. I seriously think that KF has given up on trying to build something like that again. Let's find someone who want to.

Doesn't matter who the QB is behind this OL. Richmann is a year away from being dependable, Britt and Plumb are busts, and DeJong is not a B1G tackle.

Jury is out on Barnett, and while Polasek could recruit by the end of his time here, the only thing we miss from him is continuity.

Reactions: MitchLL
I'll be very surprised if it doesn't continue to be Petras from here on out.
Yes the o-line is really bad. Historically bad. That only magnifies the many, MANY, deficiencies of Petras. What qb ever gets 3.5+ seconds consistently in a completely clean pocket with multiple open receivers? Virtually none. Nearly every qb is asked to make something happen at some point in games.
But we've seen this movie before. KF plays the guy that fits the mold he has decided is his ideal qb.
At least the D was on fire, and got big help from special teams, for 6 games.
As I commented in a previous thread, a back up qb might stay at Iowa if he likes the school, his academics and is mapping out his post playing career or the annointed starter is in his last year. Otherwise, if he wants to play he should probably look elsewhere.

I still see nothing from Padilla that says he would be able to add a spark. Just because he can he move his feet faster than Petras, doesn't mean he's doing much with it. He scrambled right into a sack on his first drive. He's not as fleet of foot as many of you want to believe. And he doesn't have the same arm talent or confidence in it. He'd be a poor man's Brock Purdy, which would be a horrible mismatch in our O.

Reactions: nelly02
I still see nothing from Padilla that says he would be able to add a spark. Just because he can he move his feet faster than Petras, doesn't mean he's doing much with it. He scrambled right into a sack on his first drive. He's not as fleet of foot as many of you want to believe. And he doesn't have the same arm talent or confidence in it. He'd be a poor man's Brock Purdy, which would be a horrible mismatch in our O.

Why did Iowa offer him a scholarship then?

Padilla showed plenty today to earn a start. He actually is quick and fast and turned what would have been a Petras sack into a nice first down completion by sprinting to the sideline and firing against his body, none of which Petras could even dream of doing.

What, exactly, has Petras done that most people sitting in the stands couldn't have done so far this season? He has been given credit for "winning" games that the defense actually won. And now that the defense has stopped doing that, Petras is now on a two-game losing streak against unranked teams in which Iowa has scored a whopping 14 points.

With two weeks to prepare, Padilla should have started TODAY. And he should have been running a hurry-up offense from play one after Jones' great 45 yard KO return. Play action, naked bootleg, QB draws, throwback passes, misdirection of every kind . . . With any kind of coaching and any decent athlete under center Iowa would have won this football game. Period.

But Iowa has neither a decent QB nor a decent offensive philosophy. Time for BF to find a new job and for his dad to retire. It would be great to have an aggressive, confident, creative offensive mind as head coach with an OC to match. Oh, that would be something to see in Iowa City once more . . .

And you watched the game, yikes!

Doesn't matter who the QB is behind this OL. Richmann is a year away from being dependable, Britt and Plumb are busts, and DeJong is not a B1G tackle.

Jury is out on Barnett, and while Polasek could recruit by the end of his time here, the only thing we miss from him is continuity.
Hmmmmm……which would be better (all other things being relatively equal)? A QB who is at least somewhat mobile, or a QB who is a statue?

just remember everybody hated rudock and he went to the NFL.

That said, probably Hogan transfers after this season.

Padilla is too far along in his education and is already fine writing the bench while Hogan couldn't beat out anybody in front of him.

Sounds like Lobas is who the coaches like as the next starter.

Why did Iowa offer him a scholarship then?
Because he showed potential? You could apply that logic to literally any recruit who doesn't pan out.

Petras has confidence in something?
He's got an arm. Yeah, lead feet, and no OL. But an arm.
And you watched the game, yikes!
I did. Wouldn't have mattered if we had Mahomes behind that OL. They're problems #1, #2, and #3 with the offense. Changing QBs isn't gonna fix them, and could irreparably damage whatever QB we switch to. Remember what happened to Jake C.?
Hmmmmm……which would be better (all other things being relatively equal)? A QB who is at least somewhat mobile, or a QB who is a statue?
You haven't actually watched Padilla if you think he's that mobile. He just moves his feet quicker than Petras, but doesn't have a very long stride. He's still not very fleet of foot.

You can stuff the "apologist" shit up your ass too, that's an intellectually dishonest argument only dumbasses use. I'm simply referring to the fact that a QB change is NOT going to fix this O, because its problems start up front.

If you are not the starter at Iowa I would transfer. Hell the one year iowa played a hurt qb in the bowl game when it was obvious even to the announcers he was hurt and shouldn’t be playing.

Reactions: sadiehawkins
just remember everybody hated rudock and he went to the NFL.

That said, probably Hogan transfers after this season.

Padilla is too far along in his education and is already fine writing the bench while Hogan couldn't beat out anybody in front of him.

Sounds like Lobas is who the coaches like as the next starter.
Rudocks backup was better and is still in the NFL.

Because he showed potential? You could apply that logic to literally any recruit who doesn't pan out.

He's got an arm. Yeah, lead feet, and no OL. But an arm.

I did. Wouldn't have mattered if we had Mahomes behind that OL. They're problems #1, #2, and #3 with the offense. Changing QBs isn't gonna fix them, and could irreparably damage whatever QB we switch to. Remember what happened to Jake C.?

You haven't actually watched Padilla if you think he's that mobile. He just moves his feet quicker than Petras, but doesn't have a very long stride. He's still not very fleet of foot.

You can stuff the "apologist" shit up your ass too, that's an intellectually dishonest argument only dumbasses use. I'm simply referring to the fact that a QB change is NOT going to fix this O, because its problems start up front.
You are the definition of apologist.

And I said somewhat mobile. Learn to read. He is still more mobile than Petras and that just MIGHT make the difference between extending a drive and another 3 and out. Besides, he literally cannot be worse than Petras. Padilla should certainly be able to put up at least 7 points a game, like Petras.

But…..in your world Iowa shouldn’t even THINK about trying something new. That is a loser mentality.

No way Spencer plays in the NFL. He isn’t a good enough athlete. Can’t avoid a pass rush

You are the definition of apologist.

And I said somewhat mobile. Learn to read. He is still more mobile than Petras and that just MIGHT make the difference between extending a drive and another 3 and out. Besides, he literally cannot be worse than Petras. Padilla should certainly be able to put up at least 7 points a game, like Petras.

But…..in your world Iowa shouldn’t even THINK about trying something new. That is a loser mentality.
You are the definition of reading incomprehension.

We could have someone who runs a 4.3 40 back there with a golden arm, and he's not gonna fix the issue, because the issue is the OL.

It would be "apologist" if I said Petras was playing fine. Except I didn't say that. You just reduce it to that though because you're incapable of understanding nuance, like most idiots. It's okay.

Reactions: o2bahawk
Watching Auburn-Ole Miss right now. Boy, am I glad we don't have a QB like Bo Nix. That dude is putting me to sleep. Don't know how anyone can watch that combination of Brad Banks and Drew Tate. Remember how much it sucked to have the passing offenses we had in '02 and '04? Sure glad the coaching staff has gone a different direction with their QB recruiting. Sure glad they stopped bringing in high-impact transfers, too, especially since the NCAA has made it so hard nowadays. I guess we're little 'ole Iowa; just be nice, wave to the sick kids and brag about our graduation rates.

You are the definition of reading incomprehension.

We could have someone who runs a 4.3 40 back there with a golden arm, and he's not gonna fix the issue, because the issue is the OL.

It would be "apologist" if I said Petras was playing fine. Except I didn't say that. You just reduce it to that though because you're incapable of understanding nuance, like most idiots. It's okay.
You're saying a mobile qb that runs a 4.3 forty (Michael Vick speed) with even an average arm wouldn't change this offense?
Lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT