ADVERTISEMENT

What QB Transfers First?

I've always wondered when in 2002 you had like 35 PPG and was an awesome offense that got us to the Orange Bowl led by Brad Banks, runner up Heisman, and very mobile QB. It was fun. My favorite year so far in my life as a fan since 1982. Why did we go a 180? Nothing against our statue QB's over the years but we went mobile once and it came up gold. Why did we never really value that? Tate was mobile as well but not the mobile guy Banks was.
I think Tate was as mobile if not more. Tate’s biggest problem was he was a qb looking to always throw down the field after scrambling instead of using his legs to move the chains. Tate could have been an even bigger asset if he decided to cross the LOS more often after evading defenders.

Because he showed potential? You could apply that logic to literally any recruit who doesn't pan out.

He's got an arm. Yeah, lead feet, and no OL. But an arm.

I did. Wouldn't have mattered if we had Mahomes behind that OL. They're problems #1, #2, and #3 with the offense. Changing QBs isn't gonna fix them, and could irreparably damage whatever QB we switch to. Remember what happened to Jake C.?

You haven't actually watched Padilla if you think he's that mobile. He just moves his feet quicker than Petras, but doesn't have a very long stride. He's still not very fleet of foot.

You can stuff the "apologist" shit up your ass too, that's an intellectually dishonest argument only dumbasses use. I'm simply referring to the fact that a QB change is NOT going to fix this O, because its problems start up front.
You would know all about what being a dumbass is....

A QB change to a guy who isn't a statue in the backfield is a huge difference than the CRAP back there right now...and if you watched the game today and say Padilla shows nothing then you are an idiot about football!

Reactions: obfuscating
Looks like more than one person doesn't know how to read. If you want exhibit A of Mobile QB + Bad OL, look no further than Nebraska.

If you don't understand that football, especially in the B1G, starts and ends with line play, you don't understand football as much as you think.

You would know all about what being a dumbass is....

A QB change to a guy who isn't a statue in the backfield is a huge difference than the CRAP back there right now...and if you watched the game today and say Padilla shows nothing then you are an idiot about football!
Whatever you say big fella. Especially considering I STILL haven't defended Petras' play. I just have seen nothing from Padilla that would prove he's any better, and pretty much every reporter in the know agrees. Padilla and Hogan aren't close to Petras right now.

There are people who seriously think Petras can play on the NFL? I don’t see that happening at all.

I said it during the game, if Petras is the starter next week, I think both should transfer.
And if the line is this bad, I want a QB who can move, even a little bit, and a thrower that is accurate. Petras has neither of those qualities.

Because he showed potential? You could apply that logic to literally any recruit who doesn't pan out.

He's got an arm. Yeah, lead feet, and no OL. But an arm.

I did. Wouldn't have mattered if we had Mahomes behind that OL. They're problems #1, #2, and #3 with the offense. Changing QBs isn't gonna fix them, and could irreparably damage whatever QB we switch to. Remember what happened to Jake C.?

You haven't actually watched Padilla if you think he's that mobile. He just moves his feet quicker than Petras, but doesn't have a very long stride. He's still not very fleet of foot.

You can stuff the "apologist" shit up your ass too, that's an intellectually dishonest argument only dumbasses use. I'm simply referring to the fact that a QB change is NOT going to fix this O, because its problems start up front.
Ok so try the Duece.

Ok so try the Duece.
A) Not mobile. Probably the same kind of runner as Petras

B) By all accounts, he's far from ready. There's a reason he's behind Padilla, and Padilla isn't starting for a reason.

C) Back to my Jake Christensen example. Do you destroy the confidence and psyche of a young player with potential behind an OL that's gonna get him beat up every game, or do you let a "safe" option of an older player deal with the beating? It's a tough question.

Whatever you say big fella. Especially considering I STILL haven't defended Petras' play. I just have seen nothing from Padilla that would prove he's any better, and pretty much every reporter in the know agrees. Padilla and Hogan aren't close to Petras right now.
So your solution to our offensive woes is: do nothing.

Since Padilla has played very little and has had no meaningful snaps, I’m not sure how you or any of these expert reporters you reference can say they have seen enough of him that proves he isn’t any better.

But by all means….let’s not give him a chance.

Looks like more than one person doesn't know how to read. If you want exhibit A of Mobile QB + Bad OL, look no further than Nebraska.

If you don't understand that football, especially in the B1G, starts and ends with line play, you don't understand football as much as you think.
How many yards does Nebraska average per game?

So your solution to our offensive woes is: do nothing.

Since Padilla has played very little and has had no meaningful snaps, I’m not sure how you or any of these expert reporters you reference can say they have seen enough of him that proves he isn’t any better.

But by all means….let’s not give him a chance.
What? What do you call today then? I saw him scramble into a sack, two more pressures, and throw a handful of okay passes against a 2nd team D playing prevent.

I'm not saying do NOTHING. If you're asking what I'd do, I'd say bring back play-action as our base passing play (especially the boots that he runs okay, but we've totally abandoned for some reason), quit being so arrogant in pass protection and 3rd down plays, and run more trap/wham/zone misdirection.

But making a change just to make a change is arguably just as damaging. And everyone in the know says Padilla isn't ready.

You think these QB’s are capable of starting somewhere else that isn’t Coe or Buena Vista 😂

I don't know how you can seriously argue that a more mobile QB would not make a meaningful difference. 'That simply defies reason. You then comically state that you haven't seen anything from Padilla -- THAT'S THE POINT! Let's find out.

A) Not mobile. Probably the same kind of runner as Petras

B) By all accounts, he's far from ready. There's a reason he's behind Padilla, and Padilla isn't starting for a reason.

C) Back to my Jake Christensen example. Do you destroy the confidence and psyche of a young player with potential behind an OL that's gonna get him beat up every game, or do you let a "safe" option of an older player deal with the beating? It's a tough question.
A how do you know
B not sure yet if Padilla is that far behind. Kirk seems to always stay with his guy and is never open to a change. This would show he made a mistake
C solid points

I don't know how you can seriously argue that a more mobile QB would not make a meaningful difference. 'That simply defies reason. You then comically state that you haven't seen anything from Padilla -- THAT'S THE POINT! Let's find out.
For about the billionth time, not without a better OL. What do you not understand about that? And again, Padilla is nowhere near as mobile as you think he is. For comparison, Petras had over 400 rushing yards in HS. Padilla had negative yardage.

Brad Banks was mobile. He also had the best OL in Iowa football history in front of him.

Drew Tate had a solid OL in front of him.

CJ's OL wasn't great at pass pro, but they could run block great, so that took the pressure off him. The 2021 group can't do that.

Hell, just look at last year. Petras was worse than now, but the offense was more effective because of the OL (and 2 good WRs, but we definitely miss Kallenberger/Jackson a lot more than those two right now).

A how do you know
B not sure yet if Padilla is that far behind. Kirk seems to always stay with his guy and is never open to a change. This would show he made a mistake
C solid points
A) Deuce's own admission and his HS highlights
B) Again, anyone in the know, people I trust because they've actually seen practice, with zero incentive to lie, say it's really not even close between the three.

Reactions: biggreydogs
For about the billionth time, not without a better OL. What do you not understand about that? And again, Padilla is nowhere near as mobile as you think he is. For comparison, Petras had over 400 rushing yards in HS. Padilla had negative yardage.

Brad Banks was mobile. He also had the best OL in Iowa football history in front of him.

CJ's OL wasn't great at pass pro, but they could run block great, so that took the pressure off him. The 2021 group can't do that.

Hell, just look at last year. Petras was worse than now, but the offense was more effective because of the OL (and 2 good WRs, but we definitely miss Kallenberger/Jackson a lot more than those two right now).

B) Again, anyone in the know, people I trust because they've actually seen practice, with zero incentive to lie, say it's really not even close between the three.
Tell me a better bedtime story dad. :(

A how do you know
C solid points
The fact there are other quarterbacks on scholarship who aren’t better than Petras is a serious problem. Either recruit better or send KOK packing.

Reactions: biggreydogs

Well you certainly have an opinion that you're willing to bitterly defend no matter how stupid, I'll give you that.

Well you certainly have an opinion that you're willing to bitterly defend no matter how stupid, I'll give you that.
If you think offensive football doesn't begin and end with OL play, you might need to quit watching.

Let's do some math then, if you can. What's more important? 5 guys out of 11, or 1 out of 11?

Stop with the insults. Frosty has good points and has inside info. While you may not agree, no need on this forum unless they are from a non hawk.

• Haha
Reactions: sellarsd and nu2u
If you think offensive football doesn't begin and end with OL play, you might need to quit watching.

Let's do some math then, if you can. What's more important? 5 guys out of 11, or 1 out of 11?
Mahomes almost did that last year, but hey PS is no P Money. :)

You are the definition of reading incomprehension.

We could have someone who runs a 4.3 40 back there with a golden arm, and he's not gonna fix the issue, because the issue is the OL.

It would be "apologist" if I said Petras was playing fine. Except I didn't say that. You just reduce it to that though because you're incapable of understanding nuance, like most idiots. It's okay.
Bottom line is they absolutely need to try something different. Someone else under center - maybe things change for the better, maybe they don’t.

It is 110% worth a try.

How do you know? Have you been at practices? So far we have seen nothing from them as we havent seen ANY quality time.

What? What do you call today then? I saw him scramble into a sack, two more pressures, and throw a handful of okay passes against a 2nd team D playing prevent.

I'm not saying do NOTHING. If you're asking what I'd do, I'd say bring back play-action as our base passing play (especially the boots that he runs okay, but we've totally abandoned for some reason), quit being so arrogant in pass protection and 3rd down plays, and run more trap/wham/zone misdirection.

But making a change just to make a change is arguably just as damaging. And everyone in the know says Padilla isn't ready.
Yeah bring back play action when we are no threat to run the ball, that will really fool the defense.

Yeah bring back play action when we are no threat to run the ball, that will really fool the defense.
I know uninformed hot takes are kinda your thing, but play-action takes advantage of a defense stacking the box to try and stop the run. Even if you don't always connect, the threat of the pass will force them to back off.

See, literally two weeks ago against Penn State when we scored the game-winning TD on it. We CAN run play-action, even with this line. We just refuse to for some inexplicable reason.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT