ADVERTISEMENT

What should/can Levar do to lessen the leaping kick blockers

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
There were a few nebby guys getting some big ups blocking those kicks. The PAT blocked in the ILL game looked like a lot of penetration by the middle of the ILL kick blockers who got there hands up and were closer to the launch site.

Would it be better for the hawk linemen who are more inline with the kick trajectory to fire forward in their blocks and keep pushing so those kick blockers cant penetrate 1 yard and make it really hard for them to jump?

Its concerning. Generally the Oline just flips to the other side of the ball on FGs. May need to put our biggest bodies that can hold their ground more on the side of the kick. For instance if the kick needs to angle left maybe Dunker, Feth, Richman need to be there

Reactions: uihawk82
There were a few nebby guys getting some big ups blocking those kicks. The PAT blocked in the ILL game looked like a lot of penetration by the middle of the ILL kick blockers who got there hands up and were closer to the launch site.

Would it be better for the hawk linemen who are more inline with the kick trajectory to fire forward in their blocks and keep pushing so those kick blockers cant penetrate 1 yard and make it really hard for them to jump?
Snap the ball and hold the ball a single yard further back?

I just rewatched the last kick again by Meeder. 3 guys leave their feet and launch over our oline. Can the defense do this now?

I just rewatched the last kick again by Meeder. 3 guys leave their feet and launch over our oline. Can the defense do this now?

Yes, if they are within 1 yard of the line of scrimmage when the ball is snapped.

https://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/FR23.pdf

See page 100 for rules on leverage and leaping:
  • It is a foul if a defensive player moves forward and tries to block a kick or apparent kick on a field goal or try by leaving their feet and leaping into the plane directly above the frame of the body of an opponent. It is not a foul if the player was aligned in a stationary position within one yard of the line of scrimmage when the ball was snapped.

Yes, if they are within 1 yard of the line of scrimmage when the ball is snapped.

https://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/FR23.pdf

See page 100 for rules on leverage and leaping:
  • It is a foul if a defensive player moves forward and tries to block a kick or apparent kick on a field goal or try by leaving their feet and leaping into the plane directly above the frame of the body of an opponent. It is not a foul if the player was aligned in a stationary position within one yard of the line of scrimmage when the ball was snapped.
Thanks for the clarification

Snap the ball and hold the ball a single yard further back?
That can work but it does give the edge rushers a bit more of an angle to block it.

But it doesnt seem the edge blockers have been even close to blocking a kick so you have a good idea. And if the kick is shorter like 30 yards and in the kicker really needs to maybe hit the ball just slightly lower to elevate it quicker.

And besides the rules that another poster replied with, a leaping blocker does get penalized for jumping or physically using the body of the blocker to get leverage and gain an advantage.

I was wondering about how some of the nebby players were trying to gain height

Reactions: pmtdc
I have always felt as though we allow the d-line to initiate contact. Meaning our o-line posture is to not move forward but to absorb the contact. I am not the sharpest tool in the shed but it seems like a one step push forward could solve some of this. BUT I do agree with others that stated the trajectory of the kick is the main issue.
Something was wrong with Drew that day and it obviously was not just on FGs.

I thought it was a penalty to jump over guys? Last field goal Reimer jumped over one of our oline. In the replay I was surprised Meeder got it over them.
It is rarely called, I talked with one of our OL a few years back after watching Maryland jump over our guards and the shoulders of the snapper. He said it just isn't called often and the interior guys were taught to keep one knee down.

That can work but it does give the edge rushers a bit more of an angle to block it.

But it doesnt seem the edge blockers have been even close to blocking a kick so you have a good idea. And if the kick is shorter like 30 yards and in the kicker really needs to maybe hit the ball just slightly lower to elevate it quicker.
Even a a foot and half back could make the difference.

And besides the rules that another poster replied with, a leaping blocker does get penalized for jumping or physically using the body of the blocker to get leverage and gain an advantage.

I was wondering about how some of the nebby players were trying to gain height
Can you just stack a couple of defenders on each other's shoulders? Sounds dumb and obvious so there's probably no rule against it.

Again, just have our linemen tell the defense across from them that if anyone jumps they are getting blocked right in the balls.

I have always felt as though we allow the d-line to initiate contact. Meaning our o-line posture is to not move forward but to absorb the contact. I am not the sharpest tool in the shed but it seems like a one step push forward could solve some of this. BUT I do agree with others that stated the trajectory of the kick is the main issue.
Something was wrong with Drew that day and it obviously was not just on FGs.
Groin injury the week before for those that missed it, perfect sense now and on a cold day kicking leg couldnt have felt too good and it was a mental game for him.

The trajectory was Steven's problem.
The trajectory he had is what you use when kicking 40+ yards.
This was 100% on the kicker.
Absolutely, From the distance of these kicks the ball should be unblockable height at LOS

the-longest-yard-groin.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT