ADVERTISEMENT

what should it cost?

Stoopsbrother

HR All-State
Sep 16, 2022
Been getting quotes for a inground swimming pool install & found myself shocked with the costs
swimming pool GIF

what would you imagine a complete install with concrete decking all around should cost? low quote of 40k high of 80,000 those numbers cant be right?

I have a retaining wall I have been wanting to build out for w years now. The original quote, pre covid, was 25k. It went on the back burner and I finally got around to getting a new quote a few weeks ago.

To be fair:
the first guy was local and we kind of agreed it would be a side gig for him.

The second guy I found at the home and garden show and certainly had more of a "I don't want to be the cheapest" vib.

First bid: 25k

Most recent 47k.

Building anything right now is ridiculous.

We were in the market about 10 years ago. $60k to $100k. We went with an above ground and spent about $10k.
Yeah, you can put in a nice above ground pool with a full deck around it for about half of what an in ground pool costs.

A few key factors are missing to offer accurate feedback, such as size, shape and if you will use gunite, vinyl, or fiberglass, and are you considering salt or chlorine. Additionally, is it a standard design, or will there be customization?

You could blame the unions. It’s an easy, obvious, out. Or you could accept that everyone is feeling the pain.

If you want quality work, done by people who take pride in their work, and want to make sure that the safety of their work and the safety of everyone who will be utilizing the burdens of their sweat and blood, shall not be impinged, then you have to pay for it.

Yeah those numbers do appear a bit outrageous, but I’d bet you haven’t seen any of the same assessments here in jersey. Heard a quote for a half million for a pool that didn’t even seem all that.

Life is outrageous these days.

Been getting quotes for a inground swimming pool install & found myself shocked with the costs
swimming pool GIF

what would you imagine a complete install with concrete decking all around should cost? low quote of 40k high of 80,000 those numbers cant be right?
That's about right -- even pre-Covid construction costs. $40K gets you a hole in the ground and a little bit of decking. 100 - 120K for landscaping, slate, salt water kidney shaped (rectangle costs more)

Have you looked at a fiberglass pool? May be able to save some money going that route, but the cost of everything, even fiberglass has shot up significantly in the last couple of years.

Reactions: Stoopsbrother
Have you looked at a fiberglass pool? May be able to save some money going that route, but the cost of everything, even fiberglass has shot up significantly in the last couple of years.
those were the quotes with a fiberglass.

swimming pool GIF

Just a pool, not spa? We were quoted $110K for both (all the automation and heated) plus $15K in floor scrubbers because we have so many trees (as do all the surrounding neighbors. Oh, that doesn't include all the sprinkler work and landscaping repair after they leave.

swimming pool GIF

I would imagine a decent sized inground liner pool is 50 now. If you want the auto cover add 13 to 15. Probably another 5 for gas and electric to get run. Concrete cost for decking is easy to calculate. Sky is the limit with landscaping, retaining walls, custom colored/stamped concrete, etc. whatever you think it should cost triple it, at least.

swimming pool GIF

Thats about right... not sure how big yours (pool) is going to be but ours is basically 60 feet in circumference and cost about $60 grand 2 years ago. Now we're looking at a deck that is another $60k.

Just a pool, not spa? We were quoted $110K for both (all the automation and heated) plus $15K in floor scrubbers because we have so many trees (as do all the surrounding neighbors. Oh, that doesn't include all the sprinkler work and landscaping repair after they leave.
Where do you live?

You could blame the unions. It’s an easy, obvious, out. Or you could accept that everyone is feeling the pain.

If you want quality work, done by people who take pride in their work, and want to make sure that the safety of their work and the safety of everyone who will be utilizing the burdens of their sweat and blood, shall not be impinged, then you have to pay for it.

Yeah those numbers do appear a bit outrageous, but I’d bet you haven’t seen any of the same assessments here in jersey. Heard a quote for a half million for a pool that didn’t even seem all that.

Life is outrageous these days.
There are union pool builders in Iowa??? I did not know that. /sarc

Interesting how pools have gone from 20 years ago being something that could hurt your resale to something that certainly helps in most markets.

15k in robot vacuums? How big is the pool? I can’t imagine ever needing more than 1, and to the best of my recollection was about a grand.

I was talking to a fellow dad on my daughter’s softball team and he mentioned 100k as a starting point for in ground in Minnesota right now. I had no idea it was that high. Also most places are already booked out for this year, so you’re talking 2024 at the earliest.

Also mentioned that there was a “businessman” going door to door in a part of the Twin Cities during the pandemic promising that he could build an in ground pool in the next three months. Signed contracts, took their 20% deposit, then vanished. The number he said was close to $2MM the guy had pulled in before he took off.

I was talking to a fellow dad on my daughter’s softball team and he mentioned 100k as a starting point for in ground in Minnesota right now. I had no idea it was that high. Also most places are already booked out for this year, so you’re talking 2024 at the earliest.

Also mentioned that there was a “businessman” going door to door in a part of the Twin Cities during the pandemic promising that he could build an in ground pool in the next three months. Signed contracts, took their 20% deposit, then vanished. The number he said was close to $2MM the guy had pulled in before he took off.
In the north, if you are going to go the in-ground route along with the associated landscaping/concrete, I can’t imagine most people would be happy with the finished product while spending less than 100k.

Like this in Florida. It is very much a classic supply and demand thing. There are not a lot of people who know how to do the work to make a real nice pool, so they are commanding just ridiculous prices. And you have to wait a long time. The alternative is spending way less on an above ground pool that makes you look like a poverty stricken citizen or spending less for the Yugo of inground pools.

15k in robot vacuums? How big is the pool? I can’t imagine ever needing more than 1, and to the best of my recollection was about a grand.
iirc, it was the built-in type that pop-up from the floor.

In-floor pool cleaning systems are made up of pop-up cleaners that literally pop up out from the floor of the pool, clean the water, and retreat to the floor when they are done. They are added to the pool during its construction.

In the end we said screw it, we were looking at 120K and we're walking distance from a beautiful neighborhood pool. I've watched my neighbor constantly blowing off her deck and cleaning her pool and I think they've used it maybe 4 times during the year+ they've owned it.

66246108_b4QtaI_hc5bAOfwDzhhPF17GsuqijNajwENJ0M-RDPA.jpg

Reactions: Tenacious E
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT