ADVERTISEMENT

What upsets do we need to still make the Men's NCAA tourney?

vacuum_cleaner

All-Conference
Jul 27, 2004
If the Hawks are gonna have a shot at the NCAA tourney, what upsets should we be rooting for tmrw? Obviously, this is a long shot but I'm talking about the perfect storm of teams losing for us to sneak into the tourney. And the perfect storm of teams winning to improve our NET ranking.

Definitely want Virginia to lose bc they are just barely ahead of us on the bubble.
Iowa State...I hate to say it LOL...but we need them to win the Big 12 for our NET purposes

Who else should we be cheering for?

like I said, this is a long shot but I think there's still a path for us to be dancing if everything falls into place.

8k9r.gif

If the Hawks are gonna have a shot at the NCAA tourney, what upsets should we be rooting for tmrw? Obviously, this is a long shot but I'm talking about the perfect storm of teams losing for us to sneak into the tourney. And the perfect storm of teams winning to improve our NET ranking.

Definitely want Virginia to lose bc they are just barely ahead of us on the bubble.
Iowa State...I hate to say it LOL...but we need them to win the Big 12 for our NET purposes

like I said, this is a long shot but I think there's still a path for us to be dancing if everything falls into place.
methamphetamine-addiction-scaled.jpg

Good grief, give it up.

Turn out the liiiights, the party's over
They say that all good things must end
Turn out the liiiiights, the partyyyyy's over
And tomorrow brings the same old thing again

I can't add to anything that's already been said. Zero chance of an NCAA invite now. Iowa needed a strong Big Ten Tournament run to have even a chance. Instead we got yet another opening game loss.

Who cares?

And no one else in the BT will improve? yeah, ok
That's a weird direction to take my comments but I guess if you are looking for an argument that one way to do it. Other teams may get better, they may not. Iowa was pretty close to a top 5 team this year and one of those teams ahead of them will be significantly worse next year unless they get a really good NIL transfer, which is entirely possible.

Cracking Up Lol GIF

First thing we need is for LOL to lose.
Then we need hahahahahahaha! to be knocked out of the "Are You Kidding With This?!" conference tournament.
If we can also get WTF, Are You On Crack?, Put Down The Bottle and Not This Shit Again to lose, then we might be in business.
Finally, it wouldn't hurt our chances if OP's mom kept everyone on You Cannot Be Serious! from making it to their game on time.

It's not happening. Enjoy the women team's run and know that next year Iowa will likely be a top 5 in the conference team, assuming everyone returns.
Even if you are right, big whoop. We’re never going to see a Sweet 16 as long as Fran is the coach. He’s been given more than enough time at Iowa to know what the ceiling is here.

• Haha
Reactions: khael-hawk
Even if you are right, big whoop. We’re never going to see a Sweet 16 as long as Fran is the coach. He’s been given more than enough time at Iowa to know what the ceiling is here.
Yeah, that's pretty much the way it's been.

It's not happening. Enjoy the women team's run and know that next year Iowa will likely be a top 5 in the conference team, assuming everyone returns.
If everyone returns, we’re still looking at 13+ losses. Overall talent level is poor.

If everyone returns, we’re still looking at 13+ losses. Overall talent level is poor.
That is certainly one possible outcome. They could also end up with less than 10 losses too. With NIL and the portal, it is actually completely impossible to even predict this since we don't know how teams will change for next year.

Because players get better as they get older.
They use to........now really all that changes is if undersized guys continue to mature into their bodies. If you can score, that doesn't change and rarely do you ever see significant improvements from players across the board. If you can't score, you either are what you are, or you're a diamond in the rough story of the week, month, year as you progress through college...............

They have good young talent on this team.
I have trouble deciding which group had more upside as freshmen, Bohannon's group those years we missed the tournament, or this group.

Everyone was complaining that we lacked B10 talent when all those guys were freshmen and they developed into a decent squad for us, that eventually had some nice moments for Iowa under Fran (but not the tourney success we long for).

This current group has different upsides compared to that group, but they also have some weaknesses that will always plague them regardless of how long they stay together.

Suffice it to say............we still need a LOT of f***ing help.

They use to........now really all that changes is if undersized guys continue to mature into their bodies. If you can score, that doesn't change and rarely do you ever see significant improvements from players across the board. If you can't score, you either are what you are, or you're a diamond in the rough story of the week, month, year as you progress through college...............

I have trouble deciding which group had more upside as freshmen, Bohannon's group those years we missed the tournament, or this group.

Everyone was complaining that we lacked B10 talent when all those guys were freshmen and they developed into a decent squad for us, that eventually had some nice moments for Iowa under Fran (but not the tourney success we long for).

This current group has different upsides compared to that group, but they also have some weaknesses that will always plague them regardless of how long they stay together.

Suffice it to say............we still need a LOT of f***ing help.
I am very confident that Iowa will be a tournament team with this group, probably consistently. However, they are not going to be a threat to win the tournament and I don't see any reason to think they have a better shot at making the sweet 16 as any other group of players Fran has brought in. Outside of Freeman, they still aren't good enough on defense. Teams will do what Ohio State did and hit 58 three pointers. It doesn't matter how good defensively Freeman is, he can't stop that.

Who cares?

I do. You don’t want to see us dancing?

I saw Rodgers still has us as the 5th team out. Is there ANY chance we sneak in? Nebraska (who we destroyed) wins the btt, Iowa st wins the big 12, that would improve the NET ranking quite a bit. Seton hall is right on the bubble and we have the head to head over them.

The MBB team? And by "everyone" do you mean PMac, Perk, and Mulvey?
Everyone that will actually make them better next year. I don't know about Perkins. He won't make them worse if he returns, I know that and he will be better than nobody. I'd like to think Harding can take over that role next year though.

I do. You don’t want to see us dancing?

I saw Rodgers still has us as the 5th team out. Is there ANY chance we sneak in? Nebraska (who we destroyed) wins the btt, Iowa st wins the big 12, that would improve the NET ranking quite a bit. Seton hall is right on the bubble and we have the head to head over them.
Oregon beatin AZ in the Pac Twelve tourney didn't help. That's possibly 1 less spot.

We just needed two more wins to at least be sweating, and could have gotten those vs Penn State, Indiana, Maryland 2x, Michigan.

Not a difficult ask, but Fran did not have this team in the position to succeed at those times.

I blame Fran, and that dude at the end of OutbackBowl2017's post who forced us to put up with him more years as his parting gift. ****er.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT