ADVERTISEMENT

What will move the needle in wnba?

SL Hawk Fan

HR Heisman
Feb 5, 2003
I will admit that I’ve only paid attention to women’s basketball for about five years, and only close attention for the last couple years. And I have never watched a complete game in the WNBA.

So maybe what I’m about to say is complete bunk or has already been addressed…but…

As long as the women try to model their game after the men’s version, they will not succeed. Physiologically, the women simply cannot do what the men can do on the court. It ends up being a poor substitute for “the real thing.”

Instead, I think the women’s pro game should transform itself into a version that is similar to how Iowa (and I’m sure other teams) play the game. Fast paced, heavy teamwork versus individual play, crisp passing, long range shooting, etc. It’s an absolutely compelling brand of basketball that is fun to watch and, perhaps even more importantly, gives the viewer an alternative to the men’s game which, imo, has become stale.

To grow their base, You’ve got to give the viewer something that is different. If the fans want to watch a huge post player back into their opponent until they’re under the basket or just devolve into a one-on-one game, Then they’ll pick men’s game over the women’s game every time.

But if you offer a true alternative that’s different and exciting at the same time, then I think there’s a chance.

Reactions: DewHawk
I’m not disagreeing with you, but as a counter argument I could say that part of the reason CC draws the crowds is because she plays like the men. Shooting from long distance, driving the ball, pinpoint passes, etc. How often did we hear about how she played with her brothers which built her skills?

I think what you’re trying to say is they have to play an exciting game. The old 6 on 6 game was high paced and exciting which drew huge audiences. Passing the ball to the post and letting them do their thing for an possessionisn’t exciting. That’s why the NBA didn’t really take off until Magic, Bird, Jordan, Barkley, etc. entered the league and changed it from a post player oriented game to a skill and guard oriented game.

Also, the WNBA starting in spring and playing through summer sucks. 90 years ago when nobody had air conditioning and people would go to movies during the summer just to feel air conditioning is one thing. Today, people don’t want to sacrifice hours indoors regularly when the weather is good. What is the counter to that? Play in the winter when you’re competing with the NBA teams for space in the arena and the college teams for fans? Not a great idea there. I could see them starting the regular season in mid summer, after the novelty of good weather has worn off a bit, and finishing after the start of the NBA season. They also could do a better job of compressing the season. Looks like they only play 2-4 games per week. They should either consider fewer games in a shorter season in hopes they draw larger crowds, or have fewer resting days so the season isn’t so long.

They also tested a 4 point shot in an all star game. The way they did it was a gimmick as it was two circles out around 30 feet that you had to shoot from, but I could see a 4pt line arc around 27-28 feet as being something interesting to add full time. Could open up the offense more.

Reactions: SL Hawk Fan
Caitlin draws attention because she can do something that nobody else can.

There will probably be another female player in the future who models her game after Caitlin and can do what she does, but it's going to be a while.

If the WNBA succeeds, it will be because of Caitlin.

College WBB took off in part because each school already had a fanbase in place. Once some excitement built, those fans were more than willing to show up and support, and hopefully that continues for years to come. Not sure how that can be replicated to the WNBA. Speaking only for myself, even if the basketball is exciting, I’m not likely to tune in very consistently, because I care about the Hawkeyes and I don’t have the same passion for the Fever.

College WBB took off in part because each school already had a fanbase in place. Once some excitement built, those fans were more than willing to show up and support, and hopefully that continues for years to come. Not sure how that can be replicated to the WNBA. Speaking only for myself, even if the basketball is exciting, I’m not likely to tune in very consistently, because I care about the Hawkeyes and I don’t have the same passion for the Fever.
That makes sense. I jumped on the bandwagon with Megan about 5-6 years ago and continued to watch with Caitlin. I could be a Fever fan in pretty short time, however;-)

I will admit that I’ve only paid attention to women’s basketball for about five years, and only close attention for the last couple years. And I have never watched a complete game in the WNBA.

So maybe what I’m about to say is complete bunk or has already been addressed…but…

As long as the women try to model their game after the men’s version, they will not succeed. Physiologically, the women simply cannot do what the men can do on the court. It ends up being a poor substitute for “the real thing.”

Instead, I think the women’s pro game should transform itself into a version that is similar to how Iowa (and I’m sure other teams) play the game. Fast paced, heavy teamwork versus individual play, crisp passing, long range shooting, etc. It’s an absolutely compelling brand of basketball that is fun to watch and, perhaps even more importantly, gives the viewer an alternative to the men’s game which, imo, has become stale.

To grow their base, You’ve got to give the viewer something that is different. If the fans want to watch a huge post player back into their opponent until they’re under the basket or just devolve into a one-on-one game, Then they’ll pick men’s game over the women’s game every time.

But if you offer a true alternative that’s different and exciting at the same time, then I think there’s a chance.
I totally agree with you. It annoyed me how physical the game seemed this season vs Caitlin in the tourney. That's what will kill it for me. I want freedom of movement, high scoring fast paced up and down games.

Im really beginning to hate the men's game and have been tried of its style of play since Iowa vs Michigan State in 2012. Its just too compressed and physical. I have never watched the WNBA that I can recall, and if it's anything like mens college basketball I'll be tuning out.

I think this is where I’m at as well, just based on my personal feelings. I see a very uphill climb for the WNBA, even with Caitlin. That’s why I’m positing the question of what scenario might have the best chance of success.

I'll watch a Fever game if I am free with nothing to do but I'm not really looking to add a sports league to my small list of sports I watch, especially in the summer. I love Iowa's style of play under Bluder, but I find a ton of women's teams absolutely painful to watch.

The wnba is fairly unwatchable. Very bad basketball.
If they can change the game to more fast pace, 3pt, etc it might grow.
The nba game has changed dramatically and the wnba must also.

For me summer basketball is just fine. I'm not that into baseball, and other than some of the major golf tournaments, I really miss my basketball.

The WNBA will never matter, and the reason is simple, women do not watch the sport. It is not up to men to build demand for the WNBA, it is up to women to build the demand. And guess what , women would rather watch the Kardashians than watch WNBA. The league has been around for 25 years, and no one makes a profit. SO until all the feminist start watching women's sports, they will never make it. I personally would never watch a WNBA game for any reason. CC will make absolutely no difference to me. Still could care less. There is nothing the WNBA could do to get my interest, so they need to draw in women by the millions, and guess what, women don't care either.

Reactions: BonzoFury
The WNBA will never matter, and the reason is simple, women do not watch the sport. It is not up to men to build demand for the WNBA, it is up to women to build the demand. And guess what , women would rather watch the Kardashians than watch WNBA. The league has been around for 25 years, and no one makes a profit. SO until all the feminist start watching women's sports, they will never make it. I personally would never watch a WNBA game for any reason. CC will make absolutely no difference to me. Still could care less. There is nothing the WNBA could do to get my interest, so they need to draw in women by the millions, and guess what, women don't care either.
You make some good points but plenty of women watch and have watched mens sports. I guess we'll see what happens. I don't watch the NBA either...just the Hawks mens and women's basketball and football. But I'll try the WNBA because it's the off-season for the Hawks.

You make some good points but plenty of women watch and have watched mens sports. I guess we'll see what happens. I don't watch the NBA either...just the Hawks mens and women's basketball and football. But I'll try the WNBA because it's the off-season for the Hawks.
If you look at NFL viewership by sex it's close to 50/50...believe it or not. The NBA is roughly 60/40 men. So clearly it's the product. The WNBA just isn't that exciting to watch...for anybody.

Reactions: HawknBadgerLand
1. Caitlin. 2. Make the f'ing ball a solid color 3. Move the season to the winter 4. Caitlin
Highly unlikely they will EVER move to play opposite the men and for many reasons. One being they don't want to be matched up fighting for viewers. Even with CC it could be an even bigger problem. With Clark if TV viewership goes up, they'd have to compete against the NBA for TV slots. Big problem. Also several teams are already moving their games against the Fever to NBA arenas to accomadate the larger crowds, which they might not be able to do if they played at the same time. Moving to the winter just isn't an option. Their only real chance is IF CC, and the new blood, actually does lift viewership and attendance the next several years, and they get a big jump in their marketing rights deal. Then they'll be headed in the right direction.

1. Caitlin. 2. Make the f'ing ball a solid color 3. Move the season to the winter 4. Caitlin
1. Yes, for now. but it's only gonna last so long. The Taylor Swift like effect will wear off on the bandwagon fans. She'll just be another WNBA player in a year or two. (quick name the top 5 players in the WNBA last season)
2. Makes absolutely no difference.
3. yeah, go head to head with the NBA, men's college bball and women's college bball...all better products. That's a good idea.
4. See, #1.

I would think the Indiana Fever coach needs to let Caitlin be able to do whatever she wants, whenever she wants. Just like Bluder did at Iowa. If they try to reign her in (like all those former UConn players said Geno would do to Caitlin if she was at UConn), then that’s not good for the WNBA.

I would think the Indiana Fever coach needs to let Caitlin be able to do whatever she wants, whenever she wants. Just like Bluder did at Iowa.

Yea..that is not what Lisa did. Lisa put alot of time and energy into letting Caitlin learn who she was. I will agree that Lisa was the perfect coach at the right time with the right team members to allow Caitlin to become Caitlin Clark.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT