ADVERTISEMENT

What will this virus do or delay the new wrestling complex/

chuck285

HR All-American
Gold Member
Jan 4, 2017
Will this still go on schedule or will it delay it a couple of years?

It has been announced there will be some delay as fundraising has halted. And on top of that there’s currently a financial crisis and who knows how long that will last.

The financial recovery of individuals and businesses will take many years. Therefore, I expect that the project will be significantly delayed, with a sad possibility of being canceled altogether. It appears to me that many people think that after a few months or a year, life will continue as before - I highly doubt that.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
The financial recovery of individuals and businesses will take many years. Therefore, I expect that the project will be significantly delayed, with a sad possibility of being canceled altogether. It appears to me that many people think that after a few months or a year, life will continue as before - I highly doubt that.

If it gets that bad we will have much, much bigger concerns than a wrestling facility. Whether there’s a sport to build a facility for will become the question.

If it gets that bad we will have much, much bigger concerns than a wrestling facility. Whether there’s a sport to build a facility for will become the question.
I fear this too with such a contact sport. I can see that once "instant" result type tests are approved that it would be required of athletes before every competition.

Any guess as to how much it would cost universities to buy instant result tests? It, I would imagine, is not cheap. This isn't a trick question. I'm genuinely curious.

I think that you're right about the long delay. I'm not so sure about cancelling this project, because we all care so much. These projects are grounded in financial optimism, this pandemic could undermine that optimism for years. A few people have dynastic wealth, however, and it won't make much difference to them in the long run.

Reactions: el dub
I am as concerned as everyone. However, I need to interject one positive. The stimulus package includes a provision that allows those who take the standard deduction on their federal income tax to deduct up to an additional $300 for charitable contributions from their 2020 taxes. Another provision allows those who itemize to deduct a greater portion of their contributions.

I know, many of us are trying to figure out how to pay our bills and can't see the way clear to give, but I just wanted to point out a positive.

<<The financial recovery of individuals and businesses will take many years. Therefore, I expect that the project will be significantly delayed, with a sad possibility of being canceled altogether. It appears to me that many people think that after a few months or a year, life will continue as before - I highly doubt that.>>

I think Mendoza is mostly correct-- right now its very difficult to fundraise-- and some momentum has been lost. They whole key to the facility is how fast this ends and how quick the economic recovery is. No one can really answer that right now--and as much as I want that project to press forward-- Understandably Universities have bigger issues right now-- lets HOPE that classes can start in the fall and NCAA football can start --- and peple will still attend and feels safe-

<<The financial recovery of individuals and businesses will take many years. Therefore, I expect that the project will be significantly delayed, with a sad possibility of being canceled altogether. It appears to me that many people think that after a few months or a year, life will continue as before - I highly doubt that.>>

I think Mendoza is mostly correct-- right now its very difficult to fundraise-- and some momentum has been lost. They whole key to the facility is how fast this ends and how quick the economic recovery is. No one can really answer that right now--and as much as I want that project to press forward-- Understandably Universities have bigger issues right now-- lets HOPE that classes can start in the fall and NCAA football can start --- and peple will still attend and feels safe-

I need ya'll to start a #StayAtHomeForHawkeyeWrestling campaign. If your government told them a new wrestling room was on the line, I guarantee the public would do whatever it took to help fight this thing. Probably find a cure for it, honestly.

I'm exaggerating for comedic affect. I really hope this don't screw things up for your new room.

Reactions: el dub
Gary Barta stated today that work continues on the design phase of the project. It will press onward.
Facilities projects have mostly halted with two exceptions. The $10 million Finkbine golf course clubhouse project is nearing its completion while planning for the proposed $20 million wrestling facility continues.

“We had permission to hire an architect and move forward and that’s something that can still be done via Zoom and online,” Barta said. “So we’re interviewing architects, and we have funding from donors already to pay for those architects so we’re going to continue developing and designing the building and try not to let that slow up.”

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...freeze-weather-coronavirus-losses/5126551002/

Everything I have read from ESPN and other sites covering the financial aspects state that students have to be back on campus safely attending classes before they would even consider playing football games.

Ohio State's campus is shut down through at least July 31.

Many college football coaches have said they need 2 months to get ready for a football game. So that might push the season into October, if we are lucky (a month delay in the season).

Iowa has already lost around $3.5M from the B1G and NCAA basketball tournaments being canceled. Barta said Iowa has enough cash reserves to cover this shortfall.

However, for every home football game lost? On average, a Power 5 university would lost $14 million (ticket, concession and TV revenue).

Facilities projects have mostly halted with two exceptions. The $10 million Finkbine golf course clubhouse project is nearing its completion while planning for the proposed $20 million wrestling facility continues.

“We had permission to hire an architect and move forward and that’s something that can still be done via Zoom and online,” Barta said. “So we’re interviewing architects, and we have funding from donors already to pay for those architects so we’re going to continue developing and designing the building and try not to let that slow up.”

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...freeze-weather-coronavirus-losses/5126551002/

The Uni has cash in hand thru donations already made in a separate fund to perform the above. It was part of the process anyway.

There's a lot of unknowns right now about the re-start of the economy. I am hopeful it can be sooner than later due to: IgG testing (whether you had the Virus and are now immune), drugs, and vaccine's. Whenever that time is, I'll be all over the Foundation to get after finishing the raise. FDA should approve the fast & cheap IgG test this month, could be 20-30 million Americans who are immune and have the "get out of jail free" card. Over 150 drugs being tested and some used now. Many vaccine's in testing. We too need an accurate profile of who is getting sick worse and dying. We know the obvious "At Risk" folks, but more stats need to come out on who is more At Risk than others. They might get plasma first from the recovered. Lots to work out here in a short period of time, but it can be done.

A lot of folks have been financially hurt, some will recover fine. Others have not been hurt so much. There will be enough folks to talk to once things begin to clear to get this done. I'll be increasing my effort and commitment when the time is right to talk to others. We'll get it done.

Go Hawks.

Last edited:
The Uni has cash in hand thru donations already made in a separate fund to perform the above. It was part of the process anyway.

There's a lot of unknowns right now about the re-start of the economy. I am hopeful it can be sooner than later due to: IgG testing (whether you had the Virus and are now immune), drugs, and vaccine's. Whenever that time is, I'll be all over the Foundation to get after finishing the raise. FDA should approve the IgG test this month, could be 20-30 million Americans who are immune and have the "get out of jail free" card. Over 150 drugs being tested and some used now. Many vaccine's in testing. We too need an accurate profile of who is getting sick worse and dying. We know the obvious "At Risk" folks, but more stats need to come out on who is more At Risk than others. They might get plasma first from the recovered. Lots to work out here in a short period of time, but it can be done.

A lot of folks have been financially hurt, some will recover fine. Others have not been hurt so much. There will be enough folks to talk to once things begin to clear to get this done. I'll be increasing my effort and commitment when the time is right to talk to others. We'll get it done.

Go Hawks.
This dude is the very definition of “leader”. Hawk fans, it’s hard to overstate how fortunate we all are that this guy is one of us.

WWDM - 100 percent true. His picture is next to the word in the dictionary. People like him, you, Randy, Steve, etc. are what makes HWC go and why I am so proud to be involved with it. BTW, Happy Easter to all on here. Be safe, take care and God bless.

I am just hoping schools can reopen this fall and students are on campus attending classes.

Just a lot of unknowns right now. And lots of concerns as the new fiscal years starts on July 1 for Iowa.

Check this out:

Everything I have read from ESPN and other sites covering the financial aspects state that students have to be back on campus safely attending classes before they would even consider playing football games.

Ohio State's campus is shut down through at least July 31.

Many college football coaches have said they need 2 months to get ready for a football game. So that might push the season into October, if we are lucky (a month delay in the season).

Iowa has already lost around $3.5M from the B1G and NCAA basketball tournaments being canceled. Barta said Iowa has enough cash reserves to cover this shortfall.

However, for every home football game lost? On average, a Power 5 university would lost $14 million (ticket, concession and TV revenue).
While you may be correct in you statement that TOSU is shut down til July31 the most recent release I’ve seen from TOSU says til July 6th. That 3 week difference is important re: potential to start fall sports as Scheduled.
https://news.osu.edu/ohio-state-announces-update-on-university-operations/

Here's a nice video of Barta addressing facilities. The April 11th story follows.

As you will read,

Barta said planning on a new facility for the wrestling program, which is set to be built next to Carver-Hawkeye Arena, will continue. Funding for an architect has already been obtained, so that will move forward.

Carver Circle, the facility campaign, will raise funds to build the new facility. The project has received over $9 million in gift commitments, which helped fund the preliminary needs assessment and design plan.

Barta said other projects that haven't been funded will be put on hold because of the financial constraints within the department. The university is expected to only receive $1.5 million from the NCAA, approximately two-thirds less than expected, because of the cancellation of the NCAA men's basketball tournament.

Link to the FREE story: https://www.si.com/college/iowa/spring-sports/video-barta-facilities-041120

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT