ADVERTISEMENT

What would be impeachable in Republicans’ eyes?

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
By
Jennifer Rubin
Opinion writer
Oct. 31, 2019 at 11:00 a.m. CDT

The Hill reports:

Asked Wednesday if he had any concerns at all in light of recent reports on [President] Trump’s efforts to pressure Ukraine, [Sen. Tim Scott (R-S.C.)] said, “There’s lot of things that concern me.”
But he added, “That’s not the question.”
“The question on the table is impeachment and that’s the question we should get an answer to, and the answer so far is ‘For what would we impeach the president?’ And the answer is ‘I don’t see anything for that,’ ” he said. ... “Everybody wants us to do the right thing. In order to do the right thing, we want to see all that there is,” Scott told reporters, explaining that he’s not ready to dismiss the House charges out of hand.
Nothing impeachable, just move along. Let’s throw open the doors and have foreign countries determine our elections? Surely Scott would complain if his opponent invited, say, China to smear him or if Trump held up disaster relief to his state until elected officials endorsed him?

To give him the benefit of the doubt, we do not know precisely what Scott knew when he made these remarks.

Did he know multiple witnesses will confirm Trump’s concerted effort to solicit Ukraine dirt on former vice president Joe Biden and to establish a whackadoodle conspiracy theory that (contrary to intelligence agencies’ conclusion) Ukraine intervened in the election, not Russia, to help Hillary Clinton, not Trump?

Did Scott know Lt. Col. Alexander Vindman testified that Trump personally held up aid to Ukraine, without legal basis, so as to extort Ukraine into helping him?

AD
ADVERTISING
Did he know that former national security adviser John Bolton, Vindman and other National Security Council officials understood that this was unacceptable (as does Deputy Secretary of State John Sullivan) and perhaps illegal?

On one hand, it is good to see that unlike the juvenile hyper-partisans in the House, many Senate Republicans are at least acting respectful (aside from Sen. Lindsey O. Graham). However, the tactic — admitting gross misconduct but voting against impeachment — will be mighty hard to sustain.

For one thing, Trump does not think he did anything wrong and is very likely to continue the conduct. It is not as if Trump were remorseful and vowed to stop asking foreigners for reelection help.

Moreover, it is hard to think of anything more corrupt and more worthy of impeachment than using government funds to advance his own interests at the expense of the security of a close ally and of the United States and West more generally. What would be impeachable in Republicans’ eyes? (I suppose they all owe Bill Clinton an apology, since his conduct was not remotely as serious as Trump’s.)

If Scott and others are going to adopt the “not bad enough to impeach” tactic, it will be interesting so see what they do. You would think they might call on Trump to resign or even censure him. They certainly would not endorse him for four more years after discovering behavior this bad, right? Right?

The problem with the “not bad enough” argument is that by raising the bar just above Trump’s misdeeds, it effectively would wipe out the impeachment clause, would require them to take some other affirmative action against Trump and would put them in the position of rewarding Trump (acquit and endorse!) for behavior they acknowledge is unacceptable.

What about the argument that it is so close to the election that we should not bother to impeach? Well, the Framers did not limit impeachment to a president’s second term. Moreover, we would have to discuss what other actions to disallow as too close to the election (e.g. judicial appointments, major regulatory changes). And remember, these guys are still endorsing him for four more years of this stuff.

In short, Republicans have to decide whether to condone and normalize Trump’s egregious conduct, behavior they would never countenance if committed by a Democratic president. Now Republicans looking for an out could always censure him and force him to forgo a second term (holding conviction over his head). The problem, however, with that and every other compromise scheme is that it is dangerous to leave in office for any period of time someone incapable of adhering to the requirements of his oath of office. That, to be blunt, is exactly why impeachment is necessary.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/10/31/bad-not-impeachable-that-dog-wont-hunt/

By
Jennifer Rubin
Opinion writer
Oct. 31, 2019 at 11:00 a.m. CDT

The Hill reports:

Asked Wednesday if he had any concerns at all in light of recent reports on [President] Trump’s efforts to pressure Ukraine, [Sen. Tim Scott (R-S.C.)] said, “There’s lot of things that concern me.”
But he added, “That’s not the question.”
“The question on the table is impeachment and that’s the question we should get an answer to, and the answer so far is ‘For what would we impeach the president?’ And the answer is ‘I don’t see anything for that,’ ” he said. ... “Everybody wants us to do the right thing. In order to do the right thing, we want to see all that there is,” Scott told reporters, explaining that he’s not ready to dismiss the House charges out of hand.
Nothing impeachable, just move along. Let’s throw open the doors and have foreign countries determine our elections? Surely Scott would complain if his opponent invited, say, China to smear him or if Trump held up disaster relief to his state until elected officials endorsed him?

To give him the benefit of the doubt, we do not know precisely what Scott knew when he made these remarks.

Did he know multiple witnesses will confirm Trump’s concerted effort to solicit Ukraine dirt on former vice president Joe Biden and to establish a whackadoodle conspiracy theory that (contrary to intelligence agencies’ conclusion) Ukraine intervened in the election, not Russia, to help Hillary Clinton, not Trump?

Did Scott know Lt. Col. Alexander Vindman testified that Trump personally held up aid to Ukraine, without legal basis, so as to extort Ukraine into helping him?

AD
ADVERTISING
Did he know that former national security adviser John Bolton, Vindman and other National Security Council officials understood that this was unacceptable (as does Deputy Secretary of State John Sullivan) and perhaps illegal?

On one hand, it is good to see that unlike the juvenile hyper-partisans in the House, many Senate Republicans are at least acting respectful (aside from Sen. Lindsey O. Graham). However, the tactic — admitting gross misconduct but voting against impeachment — will be mighty hard to sustain.

For one thing, Trump does not think he did anything wrong and is very likely to continue the conduct. It is not as if Trump were remorseful and vowed to stop asking foreigners for reelection help.

Moreover, it is hard to think of anything more corrupt and more worthy of impeachment than using government funds to advance his own interests at the expense of the security of a close ally and of the United States and West more generally. What would be impeachable in Republicans’ eyes? (I suppose they all owe Bill Clinton an apology, since his conduct was not remotely as serious as Trump’s.)

If Scott and others are going to adopt the “not bad enough to impeach” tactic, it will be interesting so see what they do. You would think they might call on Trump to resign or even censure him. They certainly would not endorse him for four more years after discovering behavior this bad, right? Right?

The problem with the “not bad enough” argument is that by raising the bar just above Trump’s misdeeds, it effectively would wipe out the impeachment clause, would require them to take some other affirmative action against Trump and would put them in the position of rewarding Trump (acquit and endorse!) for behavior they acknowledge is unacceptable.

What about the argument that it is so close to the election that we should not bother to impeach? Well, the Framers did not limit impeachment to a president’s second term. Moreover, we would have to discuss what other actions to disallow as too close to the election (e.g. judicial appointments, major regulatory changes). And remember, these guys are still endorsing him for four more years of this stuff.

In short, Republicans have to decide whether to condone and normalize Trump’s egregious conduct, behavior they would never countenance if committed by a Democratic president. Now Republicans looking for an out could always censure him and force him to forgo a second term (holding conviction over his head). The problem, however, with that and every other compromise scheme is that it is dangerous to leave in office for any period of time someone incapable of adhering to the requirements of his oath of office. That, to be blunt, is exactly why impeachment is necessary.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/10/31/bad-not-impeachable-that-dog-wont-hunt/
it was a bi partisan vote. Only thing was the bi partisan was against impeachment. The best test of the question is not for this board but from the public next November. They will ultimately decide that question

Reactions: biggreydogs
Getting a blow job and lying about it. Way worse than ignoring the constitution and the shit show we have in the White House right now. Total witch hunt. Not so fancy Nancy will suffer tremendous burns in hell.

Not a Republican.

The Constitution defines what is impeachable - high crimes and misdemeanors. What that means in 2019 is open to debate. Is there a specific statute that Trump has violated? Is it bribery? What's the statute?

If there truly was a quid pro quo with the Ukraine involving issuing of funds that were already promised, and an investigation of Hunter Biden, that would be a form of bribery.

At this point we should know if the funds were issued, or not. Trump's conversation may or may not match the actual facts. He's a pretty accomplished liar. Are Dems going to say he lies about everything, but now say he must have been truthful during the phone call?

I know what the Constitutional standard is. I don't have enough actual facts to know if this situation meets the threshold. Even though there are a lot of HROT experts who have already determined Trump is guilty, Congress is still holding hearings, so I'm not ready to jump on the bandwagon yet.

Reactions: ironside1
Not a Republican.

The Constitution defines what is impeachable - high crimes and misdemeanors. What that means in 2019 is open to debate. Is there a specific statute that Trump has violated? Is it bribery? What's the statute?

If there truly was a quid pro quo with the Ukraine involving issuing of funds that were already promised, and an investigation of Hunter Biden, that would be a form of bribery.

At this point we should know if the funds were issued, or not. Trump's conversation may or may not match the actual facts. He's a pretty accomplished liar. Are Dems going to say he lies about everything, but now say he must have been truthful during the phone call?

I know what the Constitutional standard is. I don't have enough actual facts to know if this situation meets the threshold. Even though there are a lot of HROT experts who have already determined Trump is guilty, Congress is still holding hearings, so I'm not ready to jump on the bandwagon yet.

I will give you until the official comments come out into the public forum to really commit, but how many times must something be corroborated before you acknowledge that it happened?

Not a Republican.

I will give you until the official comments come out into the public forum to really commit, but how many times must something be corroborated before you acknowledge that it happened?
a strange world when corroration can only be defined by Adam Schiff leaks

Getting a blow job and lying about it. Way worse than ignoring the constitution and the shit show we have in the White House right now. Total witch hunt. Not so fancy Nancy will suffer tremendous burns in hell.
he did not lose his law license because he got a blow job. He list it because he lied under iath

Well, assuming that's true I guess that says something that Republicans are not leaking anything. Of course, all of this will be made public soon anyway so there would be no point on lying about it.

Reactions: cigaretteman

Apparently you have different standards than I do. I don't trust the mainstream media at all. I don't scream "fake news" like Trump because there's often a grain of truth in what's reported.

Since you have insider knowledge, please post a timeline of events that's more accurate the one on the Ukraine Myths thread.

Reactions: MikeyHawk
Republican incumbents are terrified of having a primary challenge if they buck Trump at this moment.

I hope that we'll see a couple waver in the Senate. The Republicans that are not on the ballot for reelection in 2020 would likely be the first to break ranks. Once all these bad actions from Idiot In Chief become public... I think the sentiment changes.

Pelosi was right to do it this way with the vote today. Sentiment is over 50% right now, but barely. The Trumpsters have been partly successful in painting this as a "secret" inquiry. When this becomes public and if someone like Bolton testifies... I think that's a start for voters turning on Trump even more.

The WH's "transcript" corroborated the whistleblower.

Plus, how many times does he have to violate the Emoluments Clause (based on consistent Office of Legal Counsel definition of emoluments) before he's punished?

Plus the fact that Mueller showed at least 14 separate instances of obstruction of justice?

I mean, it's too bad he hasn't committed any impeachable offenses...:rolleyes::confused:

The WH's "transcript" corroborated the whistleblower.

Plus, how many times does he have to violate the Emoluments Clause (based on consistent Office of Legal Counsel definition of emoluments) before he's punished?

Plus the fact that Mueller showed at least 14 separate instances of obstruction of justice?

I mean, it's too bad he hasn't committed any impeachable offenses...:rolleyes::confused:

Trumpsters be like:

Apparently you have different standards than I do. I don't trust the mainstream media at all. I don't scream "fake news" like Trump because there's often a grain of truth in what's reported.

Since you have insider knowledge, please post a timeline of events that's more accurate the one on the Ukraine Myths thread.
Let’s go with just what we absolutely know 100% for sure:
(A) what Trump said in the “transcript”
(B) Trump admitting he wanted Ukraine to investigate the Bidens and publicly asking China to do the same
(C) Mick Mulvaney confirming that aid was withheld from Ukraine in order to get Ukraine to look into the DNC server conspiracy.

There’s obviously so, so much more, but those are unassailable truths.

Thoughts?

(B) Trump admitting he wanted Ukraine to investigate the Bidens and publicly asking China to do the same
(C) Mick Mulvaney confirming that aid was withheld from Ukraine in order to get Ukraine to look into the DNC server conspiracy.

Thoughts?
You forgot , What Thump DIDN'T say in the summary.And we now know there was a lot according tho the witnesses.

Thoughts?

We know the transcript isn't really a transcript.

The Mulvaney confirmation is being denied by Mulvaney.
https://www.npr.org/2019/10/20/7717...ks-admits-it-wasnt-a-perfect-press-conference

My point is, we get conflicting information all the time. I get hammered because I refuse to jump on the bandwagon with all the 'evidence' when there's no evidence at all.

We know the transcript isn't really a transcript.

The Mulvaney confirmation is being denied by Mulvaney.
https://www.npr.org/2019/10/20/7717...ks-admits-it-wasnt-a-perfect-press-conference

My point is, we get conflicting information all the time. I get hammered because I refuse to jump on the bandwagon with all the 'evidence' when there's no evidence at all.
You don’t really understand the term evidence then.
What I listed is evidence. What weight/credibility you give it is up to you.

I agree the transcript is not a transcript. That’s why I put it in quotes. I suspect the actual transcript is much worse for Trump. That said, what the WH released is damning enough.

As far as Mulvaney. He said what he said, clearly and unequivocally. He then tried to walk it back. You can judge whether you believe his initial comments or his later retraction (and consider why he would do that).

You can say you don’t think it’s impeachable but not ok to say there’s no evidence.

You don’t really understand the term evidence then.
What I listed is evidence. What weight/credibility you give it is up to you.

I agree the transcript is not a transcript. That’s why I put it in quotes. I suspect the actual transcript is much worse for Trump. That said, what the WH released is damning enough.

As far as Mulvaney. He said what he said, clearly and unequivocally. He then tried to walk it back. You can judge whether you believe his initial comments or his later retraction (and consider why he would do that).

You can say you don’t think it’s impeachable but not ok to say there’s no evidence.

We are actually on the same page.

I might slightly disagree about what evidence is, though I agree about weight / credibility. On that note, too many people cite evidence that's really just conjecture.

I strongly agree the actual conversation Trump had is worse than what's on the phony transcript.

I agree with your statement here about Mulvaney, but failure to put both of his statements up is a little misleading because, using your standards, the retraction is evidence too.

We should be able to find out, definitively, if the aid promised to the Ukraine was actually paid, and if so, when it was paid.

We should be able to find out definitively if there was already an investigation in the Ukraine into either Joe or Hunter Biden, before Trump's call.

These are things that should be easily verified as fact or not.

At some point, you are going to have to come to terms with this. Even Luke Skywalker accepted that Darth Vader was his father.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT