ADVERTISEMENT

Where does Iowa go from here?

General Tso

HR Heisman
Nov 20, 2004
Kirk has produced respectable results over the last decade or so that I'm sure alot of fanbases (gophers) would love to emulate. However, aside from almost winning the B1G champ game in 2015, the program really hasn't come close to accomplishing anything meaningful on a national stage. Can this program accomplish more or do we just settle in and be cool with winning 2 of 3 games most years? Personally, I liked the grind your opponent down, jump on mistakes style for years, but I'm kinda ready for a different feel, largely because it seems Kirk's style has a ceiling. Also, other than maybe the PSU game last year, the cloud of dust style isn't really keeping us in games against the big boys any longer. Fully admit I might regret it, but I'd love to at least try bringing in a younger coach with different type of energy and philosophy.

Straight down the toilet. Divisions will go away after next year. We clearly won’t win the West next year. As long as KF and his dipshit son are running things, we are middle of the pack or lower from here on out. But hey, “that’s football”.

Kirk has produced respectable results over the last decade or so that I'm sure alot of fanbases (gophers) would love to emulate. However, aside from almost winning the B1G champ game in 2015, the program really hasn't come close
The hawks need consistent playmakers all over the place on offense. The offensive line needs to drastically improve, we have the running backs, Lachey showed what he can do but we need another TEnd to step up. Need a 70% completion passing attack so that means better , much better QB and receiver play.

Keegan Johnson can help next year if he is healthy.

Huge question mark at QB for next year.

Defense should be good again as Phil's system just doesnt get trounced very often and is good at minimizing scores.

So really if the OLine and QB play doesnt improve 25% then it will be another avg to rough season next year. Iowa has a pretty good Big Ten crossover schedule next year but if they are not ready to go they will probably lose at Ames, at PSU, at Wisky and a couple of other games for 7-5 or 8-4.

After that without divisions the hawks will be out of the hunt for a title by November games unless the offense really improves.

Count me in the pessimistic camp long term, I suppose. With the addition of USC and UCLA and the end of divisional play, I think it’s much more likely than not Iowa becomes a middling team. Maybe the rare 10-win season if stars align and the ball bounces our way. But nothing of national relevance.

Lose Kadyn Proctor which seems inevitable after this Nebraska loss to Oregon and it’s time to tell Kirk to retire so Iowa can make some changes on the offensive side of the ball but keep Phil Parker as DC and co head coach with Lavar Woods if they will do it or make Lavar HC and totally revamp the offense and oline. It’s time for change.

Lose Kadyn Proctor which seems inevitable after this Nebraska loss to Oregon and it’s time to tell Kirk to retire so Iowa can make some changes on the offensive side of the ball but keep Phil Parker as DC and co head coach with Lavar Woods if they will do it or make Lavar HC and totally revamp the offense and oline. It’s time for change.
You want someone who’s never even been a coordinator to take over head coaching duties?

Reactions: pondscum
It’s apparent after yesterday that this staff better learn to embrace the portal. Not saying we need 10 players but have to address areas of weakness. Like losing 4 wr last year and adding none. OL starting 4 underclassman. Would’ve been nice to bring in an experienced guy. Obvious one was QB. It will be another 5-7 win season at best if Padilla is our qb. He’s not the answer.

For those to say maybe can’t get anyone better it never helps to bring in competition or for depth and let the best man win. Lastly most glaring need as discussed ad nauseam get rid of Brian and barnett can go with him. 2 straight years of garbage results.

100%

Be worse if we lose KP to a BIG school like OSU or UM.

Yep. Are you afraid of change?

And you do realize KF was never a coordinator, right? Oline coach only. But you knew that smart guy.
Besides his stint as assistant head coach and offensive coordinator with the ravens?

I never said I’m afraid of change. Changing head coaches can be great, but you can also really **** it up (see Nebraska.) if Iowa is going to change head coaches I don’t want to see them take a chance. They need to nail the hire.

Reactions: Hawk fan in Minn
First they go to the toilet bowl....or maybe Music City Bowl and then the offseason and then back again next fall where Iowa will be set up for another 7-5 to 9-3 season. With no Michigan or Ohio State on the schedule they actually stand a pretty good shot at winning the West again.

• Wow
Reactions: Dr.PhilSuess
Woods is the special team’s coordinator, whether they call it coach or coordinator. There’s a line of thinking that special teams coordinators have an advantage other coaches don’t because they work with both coordinators and players on both sides of the ball. I’d have zero issues with Woods becoming the next head coach.

He was the head coach at Maine??
Yes, and got fired.

Woods could take over with Phil as DC, still be involved with special teams, then go out and get the best OC and QB coaches he can. Things don’t have to change much within the program, except for the offensive side of the ball. It’s time to evolve and do what the Michigan’s and tOSU’s do on offense. And I think he will be able to recruit at a higher level, being a black head coach walking into homes that always wonder about the negative recruiting going on against Iowa. Pretty hard to claim any racism with a black head coach.

• Wow
Reactions: Dr.PhilSuess
Yes, and got fired.

Woods could take over with Phil as DC, still be involved with special teams, then go out and get the best OC and QB coaches he can. Things don’t have to change much within the program, except for the offensive side of the ball. It’s time to evolve and do what the Michigan’s and tOSU’s do on offense. And I think he will be able to recruit at a higher level, being a black head coach walking into homes that always wonder about the negative recruiting going on against Iowa. Pretty hard to claim any racism with a black head coach.

He was not fired from Maine. Belichek hired him from there. I’m mad also , but facts matter.

Reactions: millah_22
He was not fired from Maine. Belichek hired him from there. I’m mad also , but facts matter.
You are correct, my apologies. He left for Cleveland as the oline coach under Belichick after two 3-8 seasons, then his final season at 6-5.

Reactions: dekhawk
It's time to end the "non sexy' era of Iowa football.

We need innovation.
We need moxie on the offensive side of the ball.
We need not be afraid of the clock.
We will need to take some recruiting risks.
We need to be far less predictable.
We need to aspire to score loads of points.
We need to leverage the portal.
We MUST Play to WIN!

Do we really have to wait until 2030?

• Love
Reactions: coorsoriginal02
He was the head coach at Maine??
Yes, he was the HC there for three years and spent a year at Baltimore as AHC and OC. All I’m saying is you don’t need to be a coordinator or AHC to be a HC.

I’m all for KF to continue to be the HC if he is willing to make the necessary changes that have to be made on the offensive side of the ball - new OC, QB coach, and new Oline coach. If not willing to change, then he needs to give it up.

Reactions: dekhawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT