ADVERTISEMENT

Where is the line for a human killing an animal with their bare hands?

Speaking of, I live alone and had a dog and dog door, recently the dog passed but I have a cat that likes to use the door so I left it open. I'll TRY to make this short, not my biggest strength. Lately I had noticed damn my cat must really love this new dry cat food brand I bought she is eating the crap out of it. I had covid over the Thanksgiving Holiday, kinda kicked my ass, fever headaches etc. so I basically laid on the couch doing nothing. I hear what I believe to be my cat munching on her food, can't see it from my position on the couch. Then see the cat walk in from the other room, munching sound still happening, so I'm like WTF and I pop up and see the end of a hairless tail go under a cabinet near the cat's food. I'm thinking a big rat. I grab a broom and stuff it up under the cabinet and out pops a big azz possum. Looked at me and bared its teeth and hissed, kinda surprised me but didn't really scare me, possums are not known for being real quick. The broom seemed inadequate, had a 9mm Ruger and an 870 12 guage nearby and loaded but that seemed overkill and messy. While i'm thinking how TF am I gonna persuade this possum to leave my house he/she turns and trots to the other room and goes out the dog door. At first I am relieved cause I didn't have to shoot or bare hand the possum but then I realized the little bastard was very familiar with using the dog door and must have been coming in for some time while I was at work or asleep. Long answer, but I think I could bare hand a possum but I wouldn't want to, they have sharp looking teeth!

Speaking of, I live alone and had a dog and dog door, recently the dog passed but I have a cat that likes to use the door so I left it open. I'll TRY to make this short, not my biggest strength. Lately I had noticed damn my cat must really love this new dry cat food brand I bought she is eating the crap out of it. I had covid over the Thanksgiving Holiday, kinda kicked my ass, fever headaches etc. so I basically laid on the couch doing nothing. I hear what I believe to be my cat munching on her food, can't see it from my position on the couch. Then see the cat walk in from the other room, munching sound still happening, so I'm like WTF and I pop up and see the end of a hairless tail go under a cabinet near the cat's food. I'm thinking a big rat. I grab a broom and stuff it up under the cabinet and out pops a big azz possum. Looked at me and bared its teeth and hissed, kinda surprised me but didn't really scare me, possums are not known for being real quick. The broom seemed inadequate, had a 9mm Ruger and an 870 12 guage nearby and loaded but that seemed overkill and messy. While i'm thinking how TF am I gonna persuade this possum to leave my house he/she turns and trots to the other room and goes out the dog door. At first I am relieved cause I didn't have to shoot or bare hand the possum but then I realized the little bastard was very familiar with using the dog door and must have been coming in for some time while I was at work or asleep. Long answer, but I think I could bare hand a possum but I wouldn't want to, they have sharp looking teeth!
that was a genuinely cool story, bro.

Reactions: torbee

We've got one of these. They work great. You'll have to get your cat chipped, but it keeps everything else out.

Opossums are nice to have around for tick management too. Id change out for a collar activated door or see if there’s a relocation service in the area. if you two end up having a gun fight I can’t hold it against you. If he’s eating your cat food the next thing you know he’ll be sleeping with your wife.

We've got one of these. They work great. You'll have to get your cat chipped, but it keeps everything else out.

That's pretty cool! If your pet is not chipped the website says that "Includes 1 RFID collar tag that can be used if your pet is not microchipped (additional tags sold separately in packs of two)".

Reactions: Lindemann
My possum story:

I'm in my late 20s and still quite a partier. Mrs. Torbee and I had recently moved to a nice neighborhood in Bettendorf with lots of trees and the associated wildlife. Starter home, nice little neighborhood.

I come home from the bars one night pretty hammered. Tried to go to bed, but had the spins. So I decide to try and play some videogames until I sober up. Big mistake. After about 10 minutes, the movement and colors and sound have made me nauseous and some of the beers and post-bar Ross's Magic Mountain are going to come up.

I don't want to go puke in the upstairs bathroom, as our starter home was pretty small and I didn't want Mrs. Torbee to be awakened due to my drunken idiocy. So I go outside, down the deck, lean against a tree and hurl up a bunch of gross eggs, hashbrowns, beer and God knows what else. Gross.

I go back in, but my stupid head is STILL spinning a bit. So like the drunk dumbass I am, I go back to my game. This time I make it a good 20-25 minutes before feeling nauseous again. I stumble down the deck again and am leaning against the tree, sort of out of it, and I hear this weird slurping/nibbling sound at my feet. I look down and damn if there isn't a possum just going to TOWN on my throw up. Like Chinese folks at a buffet when they bring out fresh crab legs.

Well that disgusting site makes me IMMEDIATELY start vomiting again. But this doesn't phase the possum at all! In fact, he comes closer to me and starts eating my HOT PUKE right off the ground. That is so gross I start puking even more aggressively! And he is loving it, just chowing down as I continue to feed him hot barf.

To this day, I call drinking so much that I feel sick "Feeding the Possum."

Last edited:
My possum story:

I'm in my late 20s and still quite a partier. Mrs. Torbee and I had recently moved to a nice neighborhood in Bettendorf with lots of trees and the associated wildlife. Starter home, nice little neighborhood.

I come home from the bars one night pretty hammered. Tried to go to bed, but had the spins. So I decide to try and play some videogames until I sober up. Big mistake. After about 10 minutes, the movement and colors and sound have made me nauseous and some of the beers and post-bar Ross's Magic Mountain are going to come up.

I don't want to go puke in the upstairs bathroom, as our starter home was pretty small and I didn't want Mrs. Torbee to be awakened due to my drunken idiocy. So I go outside, down the deck, lean against a tree and hurl up a bunch of gross eggs, hashbrowns, beer and God knows what else. Gross.

I go back in, but my stupid head is STILL spinning a bit. So like the drunk dumbass I am, I go back to my game. This time I make it a good 20-25 minutes before feeling nauseous again. I stumble down the deck again and am leaning against the tree, sort of it, and I hear this weird slurping/nibbling sound at my feet. I look down and damn if there isn't a possum just going to TOWN on my throw up. Like Chinese folks at a buffet when they bring out fresh crab legs.

Well that disgusting site makes me IMMEDIATELY start vomiting again. But this doesn't phase the possum at all! In fact, he comes closer to me and starts eating my HOT PUKE right off the ground. That is so gross I start puking even more aggressively! And he is loving it, just chowing down as I continue to feed him hot barf.

To this day, I call drinking so much that I feel sick "Feeding the Possum."
I'm going to have to call BS. Every Bettendorfer of our vintage knows that the magic mountain consisted of french fries and not hash browns.

635840608315614988-IMG-0695.JPG

Reactions: torbee
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT