ADVERTISEMENT

Where's the offense?

wyldhawk9

HR MVP
Dec 27, 2004
Columbus, OH
What's up with the hawks tonight? I don't know if sluggish is the right word, but they are not shooting or initiating very much offense. This is the first time I've had a chance to watch them this year, and I can't remember feeling this frustrated watching an Iowa dual before. I know there were complaints about the number of stall calls they got in the Nebraska dual, but if this is what they looked like on Friday...

So is Minnesota sneaky good this year or are the Hawks just having an off night?

it never ceases to amaze me how some of you think this is new. This is Tom Brands coached teams. they don’t have the right wrestlers/coaches at Iowa (see PSU/NLWC room) and they are soooo out coached every single year. They refuse to game plan for matches and never peak when it matters like everyone else does because they are so stuck in their way of doing things. They almost had it figured out with recruiting the best guys at least when they recruited Spencer, Bull, Kemdawg, etc. but pissed that away too and now with their last few classes it really shows. Think how bad they’d be without the NDSU boys.. one of which is in top TnT form tonight. Iowa has had 2 national champions in the last ten years. I love the Brands and what they stand for but enough is enough

What's up with the hawks tonight? I don't know if sluggish is the right word, but they are not shooting or initiating very much offense. This is the first time I've had a chance to watch them this year, and I can't remember feeling this frustrated watching an Iowa dual before. I know there were complaints about the number of stall calls they got in the Nebraska dual, but if this is what they looked like on Friday...

So is Minnesota sneaky good this year or are the Hawks just having an off night?
I don’t believe you’ve watched an Iowa dual season in a decade.

it never ceases to amaze me how some of you think this is new. This is Tom Brands coached teams. they don’t have the right wrestlers/coaches at Iowa (see PSU/NLWC room) and they are soooo out coached every single year. They refuse to game plan for matches and never peak when it matters like everyone else does because they are so stuck in their way of doing things. They almost had it figured out with recruiting the best guys at least when they recruited Spencer, Bull, Kemdawg, etc. but pissed that away too and now with their last few classes it really shows. Think how bad they’d be without the NDSU boys.. one of which is in top TnT form tonight. Iowa has had 2 national champions in the last ten years. I love the Brands and what they stand for but enough is enough
Enough of what?

Reactions: T8KUDWN and 12tdsaw
There’s no one better. Unless you think you can get Carl to Iowa, which is not happening

There’s no one better. Unless you think you can get Carl to Iowa, which is not happening
Agreed, I would just try to get better if I'm Iowa and not try to beat anyone. A common saying now is trust the process, it's a little trite but improve what you're doing then trust the path go forward.

All of the offense graduated, mostly in the 90's or before, though there have been a couple of brief flashes here and there.

Reactions: el dub
Posted this in the grades thread but it's a better fit here...
Never thought I'd see a Tom Brands coached team have 8-9 guys consistently get leads in matches then go purely defense for the final 1-2 periods.
Those saying it's been like this for a decade are wrong in the sense it hasn't been the majority of the lineup the way it is now.
It's going to cost guys realistic shots at either national titles or being an AA.

beef GIF

I really hesitate to bring Penn State into this discussion but the PSU wrestling web site provides statistics that are not included in the Iowa web site and the PSU-supplied stats provides some info that may or may not add to this discussion.

For this season to-date: (i) 46% of PSU's total takedowns have come in the first period; (ii) 29% have come in the 2nd period; and (iii) 24% have come in the 3rd period. PSU is averaging about 30 takedowns/dual about the same as its 2022/2023 dual average. Haven't done the math for on-the-mat scoring.

Reactions: TarpHawk
I don’t believe you’ve watched an Iowa dual season in a decade.
Ouch. I miss a few matches every year, but I'm not THAT out of touch.
Posted this in the grades thread but it's a better fit here...
Never thought I'd see a Tom Brands coached team have 8-9 guys consistently get leads in matches then go purely defense for the final 1-2 periods.
Those saying it's been like this for a decade are wrong in the sense it hasn't been the majority of the lineup the way it is now.
It's going to cost guys realistic shots at either national titles or being an AA.
This is how I'm feeling...maybe I'm like the frog in the pot suddenly realizing the water is boiling, but this is the first time I can recall nearly every weight wrestling this way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT