ADVERTISEMENT

Which Pandemic Changes Will You Keep, Which Will You Ditch?

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
My local Giant grocery store charges a flat $3 for curbside pickup.

The drawback is that if something on your list is out of stock, you aren't in a position to grab the substitute you want. But that isn't usually a problem.

The time and hassle they save me by gathering the stuff I want is definitely worth the 3 bucks, even on a small order. If Giant continues to offer this service, I'll probably continue to use it.

OTOH, I've been using Costco's Instacart delivery service. To which I add a 10% tip - on the grounds that that's the level of tip that I would think is fair for that kind of effort if I were doing the work. Costco also marks up the price per item, so although they don't charge a separate delivery fee, every delivery is a lot more than doing it myself.

The upshot is that I'll probably ditch Costco deliveries when I feel comfortable to do so. But I won't hesitate to use it again if the need arises - something I never would have considered before the pandemic.

I also order even more things than usual from Amazon. Amazon is definitely the indispensable retailer you love to hate. Oh so convenient and quick, but some serious warts, too.

I have a buddy who has gotten into the habit of ordering meals delivered from local restaurants. Money isn't an issue for him. I suspect he's made that change for life.

What about you guys? Any changes you can't wait to ditch? Others that work so well you'll keep them?

Just a few.

I'll continue to wash myself every now and then. I also like freaking out and yelling at teenage cashiers about how they're trying to be Nazis and take away my freedoms. I think I will also continue to wear masks...black ones...at protests...and hit cops and journalists with rocks.

Reactions: UKGrad93
I'm going to keep not wearing a mask during my daily walks around my neighborhood lakes. Unless of course the temp is 15 degrees with the wind blowing then I will.

I'll ditch wearing a mask around the first of August if the vaccination numbers keep trending. I'm fully vaccinated and will just keep the mask for awhile longer to make others feel safer.

Keeping the working remotely. Company announced a couple weeks ago it will be offered as a permanent option. Will likely continue the carryout food and drinks in place of indoor dining. Wife and I have gone out a few times and have been like damn we're getting f'n old, the loud conversations from groups around us were annoying. We'll stick to patio dining as often as possible.

Bumping this during the omicron scare to see if folks have any more thoughts.

Have inflation and delivery delays caused any problems?

I'm noticing inflation obviously. I am only noticing delivery delays at work where the lead time for some products has gone through the roof.

At home for consumer products I'm not noticing any delivery delays.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT