ADVERTISEMENT

Which Supreme Court was the activist?

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
The one in the 1970s inventing rights and restricting religious observances because an employee works for the government; or the supreme court of today rightfully reversing all that sort of crap and returning the country to the status quo that existed for nearly 200 years?

There was a whole lot of really bad status quo in the past in the US, some of which are considered atrocities.

If it ain't explicitly in the Constitution, then it's a matter for the legislative branch to correct. It's not a matter for the courts.

• Love
Reactions: abby97
Just coming to type this.

200 years of status quo worked out really well for white, Christian males.

I recall an actual constitutional amendment that worked out pretty good for people of color after only 100 years of our country's history. No court inventing rights out of thin air necessary.

And then women made their own progress after only 150 years of history... again through a constitutional amendment instead of an activist court.

But ain't nobody gots time for dat in the 1970s! So that court greatly overstepped their authority. That was wrong.

Reactions: Finance85
I recall an actual constitutional amendment that worked out pretty good for people of color after only 100 years of our country's history. No court inventing rights out of thin air necessary.

And then women made their own progress after only 150 years of history... again through a constitutional amendment instead of an activist court.

But ain't nobody gots time for dat in the 1970s! So that court greatly overstepped their authority. That was wrong.

I’m perfectly okay with a Court that looks beyond 1688 for traditions, norms, and context.

You’re an old, white male, Trad. These are your people and your times. Enjoy.

Bork would say they’re both inventing rights, because he was an honest originalist.

Reactions: Moral
The one in the 1970s inventing rights and restricting religious observances because an employee works for the government; or the supreme court of today rightfully reversing all that sort of crap and returning the country to the status quo that existed for nearly 200 years?
Fake ass Christians.

If it ain't explicitly in the Constitution, then it's a matter for the legislative branch to correct. It's not a matter for the courts.

Well, yeah, it is. That’s how America’s legal system is set up. If there’s no existing law and it isn’t prohibited by the constitution, then the court decides a precedent which effectively becomes law and influences all other case law that follows.

Read about the difference between a civil law system (France) and a common law system (U.S., U.K.). Our founding fathers opted for common law.

But you probably know what you’re talking about, as usual.

Striking down a right due to religious beliefs is a violation of the 1st amendment. Quit pretending Roe wasn't overturned by Christianity.

Striking down a right due to religious beliefs is a violation of the 1st amendment. Quit pretending Roe wasn't overturned by Christianity.

Roe has no basis for support in the constitution. It was an entirely "made up" right by the court. Did you read the opinion?

If a majority of Americans want access to abortions, they can make that happen with their votes, or through a constitutional amendment.

But the court in the 1970s decided to take matters into their own hands, and created this divisive fight we've been having for nearly 50 years.

Had this been settled through an amendment, no one would be fighting about it.

The court that ruled on Roe erred, and was rightfully overturned. The only question is why did it take so long?

I suppose it won't be but a few years until the Catholic Junta in Robes overturns the exclusionary rule aka the fruit of the poisonous tree. Police state here we come.

• Haha
Reactions: The Tradition
Justice Blackman wrote the majority opinion for Roe/Wade
in l973. He based it on the "right to privacy". This phrase is
absent from the U.S. Constitution and makes Roe/Wade a
flawed verdict. This is why Constitutional scholars reject
the 1973 opinion.

Reactions: The Tradition
Still waiting for @The Tradition to educate us more on civil versus common law. As usual, posts something ignorant and then disappears (or doubles down on ignorance). But can never admit his ignorance and, you know, learn something.

Dafuq are you talking about @claykenny ?

If someone is arguing that something is unconstitutional, then they must be able to point to SOMETHING that's actually in the constitution that is somehow possibly relevant to their dispute with the law, be it criminal, civil or common.

COMMON LAW decides cases based on judicial rulings
and legal precedent. It usually has a jury trial.

CIVIL LAW utilizes codified statutes. A judge rules over
the proceedings.

If a majority of Americans want access to abortions, they can make that happen with their votes, or through a constitutional amendment.
The majority of American voters voted for Gore in 2000 and Clinton in 16 so just stop with this. We know you cling to the electoral college as a supporter of the minority rule party but 5 of those 9 justices are illegitimate.

With the filthy hijacking of the court McConnell pulled denying Garland for most of 16 saying the people should decide (people chose Hillary) then forcing ACB through right before the 20 election you gotta be a real POS to even say this. But that's BAU for OP. This court is a complete joke

The majority of American voters voted for Gore in 2000 and Clinton in 16 so just stop with this. We know you cling to the electoral college as a supporter of the minority rule party but 5 of those 9 justices are illegitimate.

With the filthy hijacking of the court McConnell pulled denying Garland for most of 16 saying the people should decide (people chose Hillary) then forcing ACB through right before the 20 election you gotta be a real POS to even say this. But that's BAU for OP. This court is a complete joke
Don't like the EC? Amend the Constitution.

Don't like the EC? Amend the Constitution.
It's become easy to spot the people who want to return to Jim Crow, women in their place and gays in the closet. Not to mention hundreds of other legal rulings to promote equality and fairness that aren't explicitly in the Constitution.

Reactions: TC Nole OX
Dafuq are you talking about @claykenny ?

If someone is arguing that something is unconstitutional, then they must be able to point to SOMETHING that's actually in the constitution that is somehow possibly relevant to their dispute with the law, be it criminal, civil or common.

You said if it isn’t in the Constitution, it isn’t a matter for the courts to decide and it is up to the legislature. That isn’t true in a common law system like ours. If there isn’t a codified law and it isn’t prohibited by the constitution, it is up to the courts. Once the Supreme Court rules, it is effectively a law based on precedent until legislature decides to amend that law, so long as that law is not unconstitutional.

In a civil law system, like France, it is legal unless there is a specific code prohibiting it.

As an example, let’s say there’s a law against having sex with sheep but someone has sex with a goat.

In a common law system, like ours, a judge can rule that having sex with a goat is illegal (even though there isn’t a law against it) because it is a reasonable assumption that a sheep and a goat are similar. But, they can also rule that it is legal because the original intent of the law was only to prohibit sex with sheep and goats are ok. Then it gets appealed and reheard and challenged and eventually a Supreme Court makes a ruling that takes precedent.

In a civil law system, a judge would rule sex with a goat is legal because there is no specific code against it. They have minimal leeway unless the code is very ambiguous. The legislature would then have to amend the code to also say sex with goats was illegal in addition to sheep.

Is the first example an “activist judge”? No, it’s the system we have in place to deal with issues when there isn’t already a code against it.

So, your comment that it isn’t the place for the court to decide is wrong. It was and will be until there is a codified law, so long as that law isn’t challenged and deemed unconstitutional.

Reactions: WDSMHAWK
Roe has no basis for support in the constitution. It was an entirely "made up" right by the court. Did you read the opinion?

But the court in the 1970s decided to take matters into their own hands, and created this divisive fight we've been having for nearly 50 years.

The court that ruled on Roe erred, and was rightfully overturned. The only question is why did it take so long?
There's no place in the constitution that gives anyone the right to choose what rights are or are not "made up."

The Bill of Rights has blanket coverage, there are no exceptions or objections to rights unless Christianity says so.

America 101. It's straightforward.

agree
agree
top-gun-action.gif

The court that ruled on Roe erred, and was rightfully overturned.
agree

5 of the 7 Roe justices were appointed by Republican presidents

‘Breathtakingly Arrogant’: Alito Shredded For Claiming Most GOP Justices ‘Wrong’ Except Him

In 1954 and again in 1956 America added under God and in God we trust, beginning the journey that led Americans to falsely believe America was a Christian nation. It's easy to see - and it's easy to see that doesn't jive with freedom of religion as written in our constitution. I'm not sure why Americans don't fight to change this, or even discuss it. Fear, apparently.

The activist Supreme Court is the one that decided last week that the Constitution conveys the right to carry concealed weapons in public.

I would add my thoughts as an attorney but I'll let the idiocy continue. Only a 150 years for women's rights and 200 years to get rid of slavery. Wow, that's super fast. Call me impressed.

I would add my thoughts as an attorney but I'll let the idiocy continue. Only a 150 years for women's rights and 200 years to get rid of slavery. Wow, that's super fast. Call me impressed.

It was the other way, counselor. And 100 and 150. I guess there are no math questions on the bar exam?

Anyway, I thought you were some sort of bio-research dude? Now you're an attorney?

Reactions: 24 so far
And yet here you are. Weird.

And skipped math on your way to multiple advanced degree's apparently. LOL!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT