ADVERTISEMENT

Which team is 2nd best during the PSU dynasty?

Rotisserie Scrotz

All-Conference
Aug 19, 2023
There are many ways of looking at this, and I think the "answer" depends on what you hold most important. But here are some stats, based on Top-5 finishes and 2nd-place finishes during 2011-2024.......

Number of Top 5 finishes
Iowa: 13
PSU: 12
OhSt: 7
OkSt: 7
Cornell: 6
Michigan: 5

Based on number of Top-5 finishes, Iowa is clearly the 2nd best team during the PSU dynasty. Pretty indisputable if going by that metric.

Digging a little deeper into those Top 5 finishes by looking at the number of points scored when finishing Top5, and how many points off of 1st place when finishing Top5.......

Average Points Scored when finishing Top 5
PSU: 132.3 (hi 172.5, lo 107.5)
OkSt: 95.8 (hi 119.5, lo 70.5)
OhSt: 95.3 (hi 133.5, lo 68.5)
Iowa: 87.2 (high 129, low 67)
Cornell: 80.3 (high 102.5, lo 65)
Michigan: 75.5 (high 95, lo 62.5)

Average Points off 1st Place when finishing Top 5
PSU: -1.3 (hi -15.5, low 0)
OkSt: -29.4 (hi -53.5, low -4)
OhSt: -37.7 (hi -74.5, lo 0)
Iowa: -44 (hi -105, lo 0)
Cornell: -50.8 (hi -100, lo -14)
Michigan: -66.9 (hi 101.5, lo 36.5)

That differential seems like an unfair metric if you happened to place Top 5 in the year PSU slaughtered everyone and broke an all-time scoring record. So let's adjust that last bit there by dropping the hi and lo differential for each team:

Adjusted Average Points off 1st Place when finishing Top 5 (hi/lo differential omitted)
PSU: -0.0
OkSt: -29.7
OhSt: -37.9
Iowa: -42.4
Cornell: -47.6
Michigan: -65.5

Didn't change much.

Iowa dominates the other 2nd Best contenders in number of Top 5 finishes, but when Oklahoma St and Ohio St do make the Top 5 (which has been 54% of the time since 2011), they tend to do a little better than Iowa in scoring, both in team points scored and in how close they finish to 1st place.

How about number of 2nd-place finishes? The field is pretty tight.....

OhSt: 3
Cornell: 2
Iowa: 2
Minn: 2
OkSt: 2
Michigan: 1
PSU: 1

And average point scoring when finishing 2nd?

PSU: 113.5 (hi 113.5, lo 113.5)
OhSt: 113.3 (hi 133.5, lo 96.5)
Minn: 110.8 (hi 117.5, lo 104)
OkSt: 108.5 (hi 119.5, lo 97.5)
Michigan: 95.0 (hi 95, lo 95)
Iowa: 83.3 (hi 84, lo 82.5)
Cornell: 83.0 (hi 93.5, lo 72.5)

Average Points off 1st Place when finishing 2nd
OkSt: -14.8
Minn: -15.5
PSU: -15.5
OhSt: -28.5
Iowa: -36.5
Michigan: -36.5
Cornell: -57

Cornell kind of gets shafted in that rundown by placing 2nd in 2024.......so if we re-rank based on the absolute lowest differential a 2nd-place team has attained, we get:
OkSt: -4
Minn: -5.5
OhSt: -8
Cornell: -14
PSU: -15.5
Iowa: -18
Michigan: -36.5

Sorting through all the junk above.....Since 2011, PSU has 11 titles, Iowa 1, Ohio State 1. Iowa has finished Top 5 every year, almost twice as much as Ohio State and Oklahoma State. But Ohio State has finished 2nd more times than Iowa, and when Iowa does finish 2nd, they are very near the bottom in points scored and in proximity to first place.

So what do we have in Iowa? An extremely consistent team that always finishes in the Top 5, but really only places Top 2 as an anomaly. Sure, having the 1 title makes me feel better that I'm not a Poke or Goofer fan, but what about Suckeyes? They have 1 title like us, but a point can be made that they do a better job of getting close to a title. More 2nd place finishes, more points scored when doing so, and losing by less. Similar look for Okie St, except they don't have a title.

I guess none of this should surprise us. Under Brands since 2011, the team finish and gap from 1st has been pretty darn consistent, with a nice win in 2021. Should we expect a trend? Or are we essentially flatlined? Part of me feels like the Ohio State (or even Okie St) approach would provide more fan satisfaction -- we'd be down and out of the Top 5 about half the time, but when building for a run at the top, we'd be more effective in grabbing 2nd place and in actually being close to 1st.

Bottom line for me over the last 13 NCAAs.....Iowa under Brands:
1 team title (2021)
2 second-place finishes (2015, 2023)
5 individual champions (McD, StJ, Ramos, Clark, Lee)
Scored >100 points only twice (2012, 2021)
Averaged 87 points
Averaged >40 points away from 1st

Are we really 2nd best? Maybe. And if so, are we really as good of a 2nd-best program as we should be with the brand and resources of Iowa Hawkeye Wrestling? We have 13 years of data during the PSU dynasty to go on......Coming out of 2010, I would have laughed at a notion that there would be a changing of the guard. But if we were not to be the top team over the next decade-plus, I would have at least predicted a much stronger stranglehold on "2nd Best".

And if so, are we really as good of a 2nd-best program as we should be with the brand and resources of Iowa Hawkeye Wrestling?

No. No we are not.

I’m curious about the rationale for your choice of metrics. Not sure they are as relevant or correlated than say points scored/points scored per season, number of AAs/high AAs. Something like that seems more relevant than “when finishing 2nd…”

Just my two cents.

Many fans flipped out over a 5th place finish when three starters got disappeared due to an archaic gambling rule. Those crazies, including the OP, would be flipping the F out if Iowa placed in the teens and worse like both tOSU and OkState have over that time frame…

No. No we are not.

I’m curious about the rationale for your choice of metrics. Not sure they are as relevant or correlated than say points scored/points scored per season, number of AAs/high AAs. Something like that seems more relevant than “when finishing 2nd…”

Just my two cents.
The rationale was pondering an angle I have not seen discussed before, since so many reference us as “2nd Best”.

When it turns out we don’t actually place 2nd very often, I wonder what drives that narrative. The only indisputable separator I see is that we place Top 5 every year, and only one other team even comes close to doing the same (they just happen to take 1st almost every year).

There is a handful of teams that places 2nd about as often as we do. So I was curious about the relative performance of each team in that group. When they place 2nd, how have they done it?

Nothing against using #champs and #AAs as metrics — I just think that’s been done already a bunch of times.

The rationale was pondering an angle I have not seen discussed before, since so many reference us as “2nd Best”.

When it turns out we don’t actually place 2nd very often, I wonder what drives that narrative. The only indisputable separator I see is that we place Top 5 every year, and only one other team even comes close to doing the same (they just happen to take 1st almost every year).

There is a handful of teams that places 2nd about as often as we do. So I was curious about the relative performance of each team in that group. When they place 2nd, how have they done it?

Nothing against using #champs and #AAs as metrics — I just think that’s been done already a bunch of times.

So basically just trying hard to find a metric to show Iowa in a weaker light. Well done. Mission accomplished.

Many fans flipped out over a 5th place finish when three starters got disappeared due to an archaic gambling rule. Those crazies, including the OP, would be flipping the F out if Iowa placed in the teens and worse like both tOSU and OkState have over that time frame…
A simple (albeit imperfect) analogy:

Hit for average, or swing for the fence? Ichiro Suzuki vs. Jose Canseco

The guy that hits for average is going to consistently get on base, which is great, but he’s driving in the game-winning runs only periodically.

The HR hitter is going to score and drive in game-winning runs pretty regularly, but he’s also gonna whiff completely half the time and cost you some games.

Some fans accept whiffs more easily when prospects for HRs are decent. They probably get frustrated when the hit-for average guy doesn’t get RBIs when needed.

I chose Ichiro in this analogy because he was a guy that had power but chose to hit for average, instead. Iowa seems to have done something similar.

Definitely some red flags thrown up. Makes a guy wonder
Indeed. This guy is wondering what’s up
with the loyalist thinking where we should be content to hang our hats on 2nd Best….when maybe, at best, there is only 83% certainty that we actually have been 2nd best.

Feel free to share your angle on how we are 2nd best. But not the “because TnT rock!” angle. We already know that’s why most of the loyalists want them to stay.

Feel free to share your angle on how we are 2nd best.

Wasn’t this already offered and you dismissed it, then followed it up with less relevant info?

I don’t disagree with your overall point. I’ve been outspoken about there needing to be significant changes and with how “2nd best” isn’t that impressive—the program is underachieving. But you’re just #TTH with this thread.

The contrast of the points you’re making here and the love you professed for Mike Evans in the other thread is simply overpowering.

Reactions: 1stplacehawk
Wasn’t this already offered and you dismissed it, then followed it up with less relevant info?

I don’t disagree with your overall point. I’ve been outspoken about there needing to be significant changes and with how “2nd best” isn’t that impressive—the program is underachieving. But you’re just #TTH with this thread.

The contrast of the points you’re making here and the love you professed for Mike Evans in the other thread is simply overpowering.
Ok, now you’re throwing a lot at me. Let’s see if I can keep up….

1. That comment was directed to Turk, not you.

2. I have observed as much, but then you came at me bro — simply for looking at the sitaution from another angle.

3. Context. I said I was depressed to see Mike’s body language when he walked off the mat for the last time. You came at me and made a dig at Mike. I defended Mike. Not Tom, but Mike. The other thread is about Tom. Don’t conflate the two. One guy has a lot more responsibility over the big picture of this program than the other. [Hint: it’s not Mike.]

A simple (albeit imperfect) analogy:

Hit for average, or swing for the fence? Ichiro Suzuki vs. Jose Canseco

The guy that hits for average is going to consistently get on base, which is great, but he’s driving in the game-winning runs only periodically.

The HR hitter is going to score and drive in game-winning runs pretty regularly, but he’s also gonna whiff completely half the time and cost you some games.

Some fans accept whiffs more easily when prospects for HRs are decent. They probably get frustrated when the hit-for average guy doesn’t get RBIs when needed.

I chose Ichiro in this analogy because he was a guy that had power but chose to hit for average, instead. Iowa seems to have done something similar.
Wade Boggs would've been a better comparison. He even said at one point he could hit 30 homers if he wanted, but he wanted a higher average.

Ichiro is one of my all time favorites, but he was as far from a power hitter as you can get.

Wade Boggs would've been a better comparison. He even said at one point he could hit 30 homers if he wanted, but he wanted a higher average.

Ichiro is one of my all time favorites, but he was as far from a power hitter as you can get.
We’re on the same page. He was actually the example I was going to use, but then I changed it to Ichiro just before posting. I thought Boggs might have been less-followed/understood…and was an older example.

By any metric, Iowa has been the second-best over the last 13 years. The dual separation between Iowa and PSU (yes, I am one of them) is even less than tourney results.

The issue that separates Iowa fans is not loyalty; people wouldn't be on this board if they were not invested. The issue is one of expectations.

While one faction stays loyal to TnT, the other prioritizes the program. Some argue that being better than the rest is not so bad and give reasons why the Hawks are not closer to #1. Others are not satisfied with second best and call those reasons excuses.

I don't know where I would fall on this issue if I were an Iowa fan, but I hope TnT are given a year or 2 to turn it around. Not because I fear a new coach will close the gap but because I think the Brands are good for wrestling.

I admit, though, if I were a Hawkeye fan, I might have a different perspective.

By any metric, Iowa has been the second-best over the last 13 years.
That is 100% counter to the premise of this thread.

Here are 2 really simple metrics to refute your claim right out of the gate:
- Ohio State has same number of 1st place finishes and more 2nd place finishes.
-Ohio State has the same number individual champions, but more titles among them.

you keep wanting to compare and relate the Hawks to other under performing schools. we are Iowa for gosh sakes. we should and do expect more and better.

-Ohio State has the same number individual champions, but more titles among them.
I think there is a mouse in the house

Reactions: 1stplacehawk

There are more that say otherwise.

Iowa has more top 3 finishes
More top 4 finishes
More top 5 finishes
More AAs
Iowa owns a 7-2 dual record over Ohio State.

If you're trying to make a case for OSU, you will need more than a few outliers.

More top 4 finishes
More top 5 finishes
More AAs

If you're trying to make a case for OSU, you will need more than a few outliers.
People on this board love to ignore 99% of data to make their point.

I think there is a mouse in the house
Eff you dude. I’m just fed up. Fed up with the same ol’ same ol’, and all the excuses. Too many sheep and yes men around here.

What got Iowa back on top in ‘08? Not tinkering with the parts, but an overhaul.

What got PSU started on its run? Not tinkering with the parts, but an overhaul.

What put Ohio State on the map? Not tinkering, but an overhaul.

Watch Okie State over the next 5 years. Scott is now in. Esposito gone. When Smith goes, Scott will complete the overhaul. They understand significant change is the only way to get significant change.

I don’t see how tinkering with the parts is going to get us higher. But if people want to support the same ol’ same ol’ just cuz they think TnT are great guys, well, enjoy the continued 3rd-5th place finishes that are the trademark of this regime. Cuz that’s what’s going to happen. Mark it down.

I’m old enough to remember people
laughing at me when I said Michigan would
be a real threat to us for 2nd place this year.

More top 4 finishes
More top 5 finishes
More AAs

Ok, there you go, now you’re getting the hang of it. Remember when I opened this thread with “There are many ways of looking at this, and I think the "answer" depends on what you hold most important…”?

Good to see you are coming off your “all
metrics” absolutism.

Ok, now you’re throwing a lot at me. Let’s see if I can keep up….

1. That comment was directed to Turk, not you.

2. I have observed as much, but then you came at me bro — simply for looking at the sitaution from another angle.

3. Context. I said I was depressed to see Mike’s body language when he walked off the mat for the last time. You came at me and made a dig at Mike. I defended Mike. Not Tom, but Mike. The other thread is about Tom. Don’t conflate the two. One guy has a lot more responsibility over the big picture of this program than the other. [Hint: it’s not Mike.]

Context is important. But rubbing one off to Evans while bemoaning Iowa's lack of success is completely divergent. He's one of the leading examples of the issues at Iowa.

Eff you dude. I’m just fed up. Fed up with the same ol’ same ol’, and all the excuses. Too many sheep and yes men around here.

Are there that many sheeples here? Seems most are calling for major changes. Furthermore, once it was clear what we were losing with the gambling thing, I doubt too many were laughing at the idea of Michigan beating us.

But rubbing one off to Evans while bemoaning Iowa's lack of success is completely divergent. He's one of the leading examples of the issues at Iowa.
And that’s where we differ. You’re blaming the wrestler while I’m blaming the coach.

Why wouldn’t I have been pulling for Evans? Why would it not depress me to see a fiery guy lose his fire and leave the mat dejected?

If you want to imply that my take on the program now is in conflict with my feelings about individual wrestlers almost 10 years ago, well, that’s just an illogical way of evaluating things. Besides, hindsight is a little sharper in 2024 than it was in 2013-2015, when the program was only 3-5 years removed from top dog status.

Reactions: anon_0pi0cv8t1ggvb
Perception is also important and not just absolutes. Which of the following four year run increases the program's perception in a fan's eyes? What about a recruit's perception?

A. Finishing 1st each year but no champs?
B. Having at least one national champ each of the four years but no titles?

What got Iowa back on top in ‘08? Not tinkering with the parts, but an overhaul.

What got PSU started on its run? Not tinkering with the parts, but an overhaul.

What put Ohio State on the map? Not tinkering, but an overhaul.

Watch Okie State over the next 5 years. Scott is now in. Esposito gone. When Smith goes, Scott will complete the overhaul. They understand significant change is the only way to get significant change.

I don’t see how tinkering with the parts is going to get us higher. But if people want to support the same ol’ same ol’ just cuz they think TnT are great guys, well, enjoy the continued 3rd-5th place finishes that are the trademark of this regime. Cuz that’s what’s going to happen. Mark it down.

How about we fire the whole staff and hire former Hawk Tom Ryan. He can come home and fix everything. Jagger would surely come with, as Stiebler would be the next HC at Ohio State. after his departure. Then we could lure Snyder to run the HWC. . Maybe Spencer would join him as the next HC in training, so we have a succession plan in place. If Ryan comes he could get the #1 recruiting class from ‘21 to follow him along with Welsh and his most recent batch of recruits.
Without a doubt, these overdue changes will knock PSU from their perch. Loyalty to OSU wouldn’t be an issue, especially Snyder because he already left and has to do something for a career. Spencer would jump at this opportunity.
I am certain all the big donors, and small, for the new wrestling facility would be 110% on board.
Like the holiday we celebrate today,
Resurrection complete and all Hawkeye wrestling fans are saved from the hell we live in now. Loyalists and revolutionaries are at peace and live in harmony…

Last edited:
How about we fire the whole staff and hire former Hawk Tom Ryan. He can come home and fix everything. Jagger would surely come with, as Stiebler would be the next HC at Ohio State. after his departure. Then we could lure Snyder to run the HWC. . Maybe Spencer would join him as the next HC in training, so we have a succession plan in place. If Ryan comes he could get the #1 recruiting class from ‘21 to follow him along with Welsh and his most recent batch of recruits.
Without a doubt, these overdue changes will knock PSU from their perch. Loyalty to OSU wouldn’t be an issue, especially Snyder because he already left and has to do something for a career. Spencer would jump at this opportunity.
I am certain all the big donors, and small, for the new wrestling facility would be 110% on board.
Resurrection complete and all Hawkeye wrestling fans are saved from the hell we live in now. Loyalists and revolutionaries are at peace and live in harmony…
ew. no.

Reactions: Sullivan and el dub
So basically just trying hard to find a metric to show Iowa in a weaker light. Well done. Mission accomplished.
Exactly this. Let’s take OSU’s 7 best seasons over the last 13 and take ALL 13 seasons for Iowa and see what we get….logical.

Reactions: mcpat
Solid post. This is as good a succession plan as we’ve seen and makes a lot of sense on many levels. Not sure if he’s of interest but Tom Ryan is the consummate CEO professional.

If Spencer and/or Taylor are interested in becoming assistant coaches after the ‘24 Oly cycle, make room & grab ‘em both as coaches in training. Likely a pipe dream but add these two, to potentially K. Snyder and young talent would come to Iowa City.

I’d guess there’s a lot to be learned from Tom Ryan. He’s not burned bridges and a Hawkeye.

Solid post. This is as good a succession plan as we’ve seen and makes a lot of sense on many levels. Not sure if he’s of interest but Tom Ryan is the consummate CEO professional.

If Spencer and/or Taylor are interested in becoming assistant coaches after the ‘24 Oly cycle, make room & grab ‘em both as coaches in training. Likely a pipe dream but add these two, to potentially K. Snyder and young talent would come to Iowa City.

I’d guess there’s a lot to be learned from Tom Ryan. He’s not burned bridges and a Hawkeye.
Why would Ryan come to Iowa? He seems to be doing about as well at OSU.

Reactions: el dub

Seems like more of a gotcha post to me. Basically Tom Ryan has done all the things the anti Brands are suggesting and has similar resources. Yet. Not competing with PSU…..

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Point taken. But if all the chatter is true regarding Brand’s poor relationships within the wrestling community, Ryan as a short term solution could help build these relationships back while providing new perspective. He’d be a great mentor for a coach in waiting, if you will…
I’d not expect an immediate championship from Ryan but would support this succession plan to move things in a positive direction.

I’ve never been a strong proponent of firing brands (yet) but change is undoubtedly needed within the program. JMO…

Seems like more of a gotcha post to me. Basically Tom Ryan has done all the things the anti Brands are suggesting and has similar resources. Yet. Not competing with PSU…..
Exactly to your post and the post above. Sanderson did a Gable like thing. that would change with a similar figure taking over the program after or near the end of Sanderson's tenure assuming someone doesn't keep the program on point similar to Sanderson. you need that kin d of thing to happen with Iowa to get back to the top and stay there.

It's too easy in wrestling to establish a dynasty compared to other sports and extremely hard to end the dynasty. notice that no one ended Gable's reign, he retired and Iowa did quite well for over a decade after he left. That's when the opportunity to get on top was for the taking.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawkgma

Iowa would be better off with DT.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT