ADVERTISEMENT

White woman sues sperm bank—again—after getting black man’s sperm

cramblett-640x480.jpeg

An Ohio woman has sued a sperm bank that mistakenly gave her sperm from an African-American donor.

Plaintiff Jennifer Cramblett, who is white, gave birth to her mixed-race daughter Payton three years ago. In her lawsuit (PDF), she says that the sperm bank's mix-up led to "an unplanned transracial parent-child relationship for which she was not, and is not, prepared."

Cramblett was artificially inseminated with sperm she ordered from Illinois-based Midwest Sperm Bank, meant to be from Donor No. 380, a Caucasian man. Five months into her pregnancy, she found out that she had actually been sent a sample from Donor No. 330, an African-American male.

"On August 21, 2012, Jennifer gave birth to Payton, a beautiful, obviously mixed race, baby girl," the lawsuit states.

The sperm bank apologized and gave Cramblett a refund for six vials of sperm, but that's it. Cramblett's lawsuit says that she should be compensated for her "current and upcoming challenges with transracial parenting."

Link
It looks to me like the child fared a lot better in the looks department than the mother.

Well, yes! There's a fine line between preference and prejudice, actually.

In this case, the woman is showing/displaying, at least a hint, of racial prejudice. I realize it's difficult to endure what might come with it. But, to have a healthy baby that is "yours" is also a blessing in itself. This whole "custom-order" child thing is a little creepy to me.

But you use your latter opinion to inform your earlier one. She bargained for something she didn't get, she should be upset about that. Your complaint about custom-order children shouldn't matter to that.

Also, we all "custom-order" our children in various ways by choosing the partner we choose. We have a pretty good idea of how they will genetically turn out by looking at ourselves and our relatives. Sounds like you are worried about "playing god".

I agree with the Mom, somebody needs to be held accountable.........for her having a child.

Here I thought black people would have had black sperm and this would have been easily avoidable.

Reactions: Sly hawk
I guess I understand that from a potential parents' perspective, but I think actual harm should be an extremely minor consideration for the court, it should be based entirely on the contractual relationship, i.e. her getting what she paid for. Which is why I, as the judge, wouldn't consider anything in regards to future damages or harm, but I would penalize them something for making the mistake, something big enough to try and convince them to put in place procedures to make sure this doesn't happen.

Because it isn't like she can return their product. I'm thinking cost of sperm plus cost of procedure, multiplied by 3 maybe.

That's a pretty fair approach and much, much easier to quantify.

Well, yes! There's a fine line between preference and prejudice, actually.

In this case, the woman is showing/displaying, at least a hint, of racial prejudice. I realize it's difficult to endure what might come with it. But, to have a healthy baby that is "yours" is also a blessing in itself. This whole "custom-order" child thing is a little creepy to me.

I hear what you're saying to a point.....but isn't the whole dating process (when used for purposes of identifying a good partner to have a life and family together) about screening for your best potential mate? Of course prejudices come into play. If she's a straight female dating to find a husband who wants a family, she's probably going to screen on a lot of things.....and race might be one of them, as might ancestral background, religion, education level, income level, general attractiveness, family med history, etc.

I can see women going for all those same categories (maybe not religion) when going for a donor. If the company is offering the ability to screen on that kind of criteria, then they better be able to deliver.

I hear what you're saying to a point.....but isn't the whole dating process (when used for purposes of identifying a good partner to have a life and family together) about screening for your best potential mate? Of course prejudices come into play. If she's a straight female dating to find a husband who wants a family, she's probably going to screen on a lot of things.....and race might be one of them, as might ancestral background, religion, education level, income level, general attractiveness, family med history, etc.

I can see women going for all those same categories (maybe not religion) when going for a donor. If the company is offering the ability to screen on that kind of criteria, then they better be able to deliver.

Exactly. I'm not worried about this woman and her child. I, as judge, would restore her to where she was before, so refund her the money and pay for her procedure. But the punishment would be to ensure they put procedures in place to stop it in the future. Only money gets places like this to react.

You breeders think of the darnedest things. Sounds like a big burden, why would anyone choose this? Ts and Ps.

Reactions: hawkifann
But you use your latter opinion to inform your earlier one. She bargained for something she didn't get, she should be upset about that. Your complaint about custom-order children shouldn't matter to that.

Also, we all "custom-order" our children in various ways by choosing the partner we choose. We have a pretty good idea of how they will genetically turn out by looking at ourselves and our relatives. Sounds like you are worried about "playing god".
Well, we all ARE "God."

They make this like ordering pizza, in a way. I totally understand that she is upset, and I understand WHY she is upset. But, if she's going to be resentful of the child because she didn't get the "white child" she wanted, then this just reveals a much more shallow aspect to this whole operation.

I would never choose my ideal partner based on genetic breeding potential. But, I sure don't want to impede anyone's need for it.:rolleyes:

No doubt. What will her daughter think when she's old enough to understand that Mommy sued for damages because she didn't get the baby she wanted? Some lawsuits are better left unfiled.
Exactly. What a horrible thing to do to your kid. The good news is karma has already punished this woman, those are going to be some hellish teen years.

Well, we all ARE "God."

They make this like ordering pizza, in a way. I totally understand that she is upset, and I understand WHY she is upset. But, if she's going to be resentful of the child because she didn't get the "white child" she wanted, then this just reveals a much more shallow aspect to this whole operation.

I would never choose my ideal partner based on genetic breeding potential. But, I sure don't want to impede anyone's need for it.:rolleyes:

Whoa, who said she was going to be resentful of the child? This court case, at least as far as I would consider it has nothing to do with that.

You didn't choose your partner partly based on that? That would seriously surprise me. I think we all do it (well maybe not everybody) to some extent, some much more than others. One of the factors of marrying my wife was characteristics that would make her a good mother, and have good children. Race wasn't one of the factors, at least not overtly, I just live in a state where I'm surrounded mostly by white people.

Exactly. What a horrible thing to do to your kid. The good news is karma has already punished this woman, those are going to be some hellish teen years.

Yeah, I agree with it as well, I couldn't do the lawsuit myself, but I would have definitely complained and done something to the company, in a much less public way. They deserve to be penalized, but she isn't thinking ahead.

Reactions: naturalmwa
I'm not sure you understand. It can be quantified by size?

So a big lesbian is more lesbian than a small lesbian? Is it relative to physical size?

Big lesbian is totally gay. Small lesbian is open to doing a man if conditions are right.

No, it's like saying, "I'm a really big Beatles fan."

It doesn't mean that you're an obese or a very tall Beatles fan.

Sure, that makes sense when you say big, but it doesn't seem to work for other sizes. I'm a small beatles fan likely means you are a beatles fan who is small in stature. Right?

But I get your point, and it wasn't meant to be academic, the OP of that quote is an ignorant shit who needs to be consistently called out.

She is in it for the money. Poor child is going to grow up and learn of the case. The explanation is that I love you and wouldn't have it any other way but this was our chance to get rich.

Reactions: anon_4v8fwjfqmw9bi
Man, HROT is making it very clear that some people have serious issues with people filing lawsuits. Even when a contract is obviously broken/failed and the other party doesn't get what they paid for. It really surprises me how much people think they should all but lube up their own assholes to get screwed and then do nothing about it.

It isn't like it is a partisan issue, perfectly well reasoned and proper lawsuits are filed every single day, filed by all sides of the political spectrum.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Whoa, who said she was going to be resentful of the child? This court case, at least as far as I would consider it has nothing to do with that.

You didn't choose your partner partly based on that? That would seriously surprise me. I think we all do it (well maybe not everybody) to some extent, some much more than others. One of the factors of marrying my wife was characteristics that would make her a good mother, and have good children. Race wasn't one of the factors, at least not overtly, I just live in a state where I'm surrounded mostly by white people.
No, I have never considered "breeding" when looking for a potential partner. I realize I'm unconventional.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT