ADVERTISEMENT

Who Benefits If the Federal Elections Commission Can't Function?

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
As FEC Nears Shutdown, Priorities Such As Stopping Election Interference On Hold

Barring some kind of miraculous last-minute reprieve, Friday will be the last business day that the Federal Election Commission will be able to function for quite a while, leaving the enforcement of federal campaign finance laws unattended ahead of the 2020 election.

The commission's vice chairman, Matthew Petersen, announced his resignation earlier this week, to take effect at the end of the month. With Petersen gone, the FEC will be down to three members and won't have a quorum.

In addition to collecting campaign finance data, the FEC investigates potential campaign finance violations, issues fines and gives guidance to campaigns about following election law — but not without a working quorum of at least four commissioners.

more here:

I don't know. Why don't we stop spending money on it and see what happens?

The states run the elections anyway. Sounds like an unnecessary federal bureaucracy, to me.

I don't know. Why don't we stop spending money on it and see what happens?

The states run the elections anyway. Sounds like an unnecessary federal bureaucracy, to me.

In addition to collecting campaign finance data, the FEC investigates potential campaign finance violations, issues fines and gives guidance to campaigns about following election law.

Only if you believe enforcing the law is unnecessary.

Campaign finance law, especially for federal offices is a federal responsibility.

They arn't setting up the polls or tallying the votes. They are making sure that candidates for federal offices are playing by the rules. Usually when you have rules you need referees of some sort to enforce those rules.

In addition to collecting campaign finance data, the FEC investigates potential campaign finance violations, issues fines and gives guidance to campaigns about following election law.

Only if you believe enforcing the law is unnecessary.

Campaign finance law, especially for federal offices is a federal responsibility.

They arn't setting up the polls or tallying the votes. They are making sure that candidates for federal offices are playing by the rules. Usually when you have rules you need referees of some sort to enforce those rules.

Why can't the Justice Dept. handle it?

I think the SEC has a bit more on its hands on a day-today basis than the FEC.

DOJ should handle it.

Do you have any idea how many people are technically running for president during an election year? They all need oversight. We can't just apply these laws to 2 people just because they are the only ones likely to win.

Also the justice department has more partiality issues. A president can only appoint 2 commissioners of the FEC during a 4 year term. However the Attorney general is his appointee and runs the entire justice department.

Did the FEC have any teeth anyways? Had they ever went after a major violation or gotten any convictions?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT