ADVERTISEMENT

Who do we want: Penn State or Nebraska?

I'd prefer Nebraska myself. Hawks have dealt with them twice and seem to match up well. Of course any team could get hot and Iowa could play poorly - if that happens, it shouldn't shock anybody.

Originally posted by IowaHawkeyeFBnBB4Life:
Both present their own problems and I think will be tough outs. Iowa needs to be ready on Thursday!!
Yeah, I agree. Both played well last weekend and present problems when they're playing up to their potential. Plus, Iowa has been playing lights out for the last month and might be due for a let down. I'd rather see the Hawks lose a first round game in the B1G tournament than at the NCAA's. It's been far too long since we've seen Iowa get to the round of 32!

The fact that we dealt with Nebby twice is the reason we don't want to play them-is hard to beat the same team 3 times in one season know matter who you are.

Besides, Nebraska has more overall talent-not much dispute there-give me the team that is less talented that we haven't already beaten twice any day of the week.

Nebraska, although admittedly, it would feel eerily like Northwestern last year.

Originally posted by 4th & 9 inches:
The fact that we dealt with Nebby twice is the reason we don't want to play them-is hard to beat the same team 3 times in one season know matter who you are.

Besides, Nebraska has more overall talent-not much dispute there-give me the team that is less talented that we haven't already beaten twice any day of the week.
On the first point, I guess I don't see the logic behind the saying "hard to beat a team three times"...

On the second point, that is true on the talent difference.

Guess I'll change my answer to "I don't care, just as long as the Hawks play well".

I don't understand the "eerily similar to last year" comments when referring to playing nebraska again in the tournament. There are actually very few similarities between this year and last year heading into the tournament. Last year's team had lost 7/8 and had zero senior leadership. Iowa is in a much better position this year. On a hot streak and Aaron White is providing the senior leadership that was sorely missed last year. In fact, that lack of leadership was the reason for the late season slide IMO.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by kellerm:
I don't understand the "eerily similar to last year" comments when referring to playing nebraska again in the tournament. There are actually very few similarities between this year and last year heading into the tournament. Last year's team had lost 7/8 and had zero senior leadership. Iowa is in a much better position this year. On a hot streak and Aaron White is providing the senior leadership that was sorely missed last year. In fact, that lack of leadership was the reason for the late season slide IMO.
I agree. I'm just paranoid.
tongue.r191677.gif

Originally posted by StormHawk42:
Nebraska, although admittedly, it would feel eerily like Northwestern last year.

lol wut? Last year we expected to lose and everything was falling apart.

Originally posted by Pepperman:
Originally posted by 4th & 9 inches:

On the first point, I guess I don't see the logic behind the saying "hard to beat a team three times"...

On the second point, that is true on the talent difference.

Guess I'll change my answer to "I don't care, just as long as the Hawks play well".
Kind of an old wives tale. Didn't seem to bother the Iowa women. They beat Nebraska 3 times this season.

funny how big a melt down on here after NW beat IA, nobody EXPECTED NW to beat IA because they had beaten them twice in the regular season.

give me PSU. easier to beat a team twice vs 3 times in the same season.

Originally posted by Hawkeye2222:

funny how big a melt down on here after NW beat IA, nobody EXPECTED NW to beat IA because they had beaten them twice in the regular season. 

give me PSU. easier to beat a team twice vs 3 times in the same season.
Nobody? Do you remember the slide Iowa was on going into the tournament? I'm pretty sure people were worried.

I want Penn State as imo they are most similar to Purdue, thus providing the best warm up. Their 7' center, Dickerson, blocked four of our shots and stole three balls.

Good sparring partner. Hopefully that's all they are.

Iowa is 5-0 against NE this season (men and women's hoops) and making it 6-0 would provide me with a lot of fun ammo to rib my Husker friends with but losing to them even once would bring out the super annoying factor that all of them carry within themselves.

NE is a team that can get hot and has more scoring options than PSU and my guess is they will be gunning to make a run however if anyone gets a big lead on NE they will quit, it is what they have done most of the season. PSU, will not quite, Chambers won't let them and he hasn't lost his team like Miles has lost his.

I say we want PSU, tougher mental team than NE and with an OT win at their place I think the boys will be more ready to play them vs a NE team they have just cleaned the floor with this season. Also it will be good for this team to face a player of DJN's caliber again (he is really really good).

PSU, but I think Hawks handle either team pretty well. Think we would get a better shot from Nebraska after getting their locker room rights revoked a few weeks ago.

I think Neb still sucks and PSU took us to OT and won their last game. I give them the edge in beating Neb

SW lets say 99.99% of IA fans gave NW .0001% chance of Beating IA because IA had beaten them by 93-67 then 76-50, again 99.99% had IA beating NW again. beating a team twice by 26 points, then losing to them in the BTT was a complete shock to 99.99% of IA fans.

Originally posted by NevadaHawk:
I expect PSU to beat Minney and I expect Iowa to beat PSU.
The first one might be tough to do; the second one can be done though

I'd rather get a free falling Nebraska. Penn State has played some really close games and plays teams tough.

Don't care about the three times nonsense. Penn State is a better and more mentally tough team than Nebraska. Nebraska has poor chemistry, does not shoot it well, doesn't play particularly good defense. And for the latter half of the season, they had largely checked out. I don't think their guard play is anywhere close to the level that Penn State's is. I realize that Petteway is basically a 2 for Nebraska, but Newbill and Penn State guards are much, much better and more dangerous.

Three times? LOL. We've won both games by double digits, (in two games we outscored them by 39 points). This really isn't a choice.

anytime you play an opponent with nothing to lose nothing to gain ... look out.. and every B1G team has someone who can get hot and beat you...

IE...Northwestern last year in the BTT...

however I do believe we are a "great team"...by that I mean they really have developed playing together..one of the most unselfish teams we have had in a long long time...

I feel better about beating Purdue than either PennSt or Nebraska...so just beat them...

Want PSU so the Iowa fans can split the cheer - WE BEAT - PENN ST!!!

Both teams pose a threat and I think both teams will come in with urgency and play good.

The bonus is that they play the night before and neither team is very deep in terms of players.

I would say Nebbie for me. I realize we beat them good both times, but they are free falling. There is some issues amongst that team and they seems to arguing with each other and Miles. There is definitely some hostility with Miles & Petteway.

PSU is a tough read, they play good one game and then choke the other. They have played some teams very tough and can get hot from outside and pose a threat. But I think the hawks can play good enough defense against them to shut them down. In Happy Valley they could not miss to start both halves. I don't think that happens in Chicago.

GO HAWKS

Originally posted by Pepperman:
I'd prefer Nebraska myself. Hawks have dealt with them twice and seem to match up well. Of course any team could get hot and Iowa could play poorly - if that happens, it shouldn't shock anybody.
There is a thread on here that shows teams win 72.4% of when going for a third victory. I want the Hawkeyes to play the team they beat by 28pts the last time they played, Nebraska.

What we want is for these two teams to have a close game tomorrow. We don't want a blowout so the winning team can rest starters. How about a double OT win by Nebraska?

I'd choose Penn State because I think the Iowa players will realize, based on their recent OT victory @ PSU, that they'll need to bring the intensity to advance.

Iowa is on a cloud right now. 6 straight wins, a great send-off for their Seniors, Big Ten player award recognition, a third place finish in Big Ten play, a looming trip to the NCAA tourney, etc. I worry that they could get complacent, which may result in an early loss in the BTT.

Iowa blew out Nebraska in their last meeting on their court. Iowa may feel (even if it is only subconsciously), based on the sweep, that Nebraska is an easy match-up. On the other hand, Nebraska would be motivated and out for revenge (e.g., I'm sure they remember being locked out of their locker room after the last Iowa game).

I don't buy into the "tough to beat a team 3 times" argument. For example, I won't be optimistic about Iowa's chances if they match-up again with Wisconsin. For me, it's about playing with intensity and not looking ahead to a revenge game against Purdue.

Either way, I've got my all-session pass and am looking forward to seeing this team in person.

Go Hawks!

Originally posted by ihawk in FWB:

There is a thread on here that shows teams win 72.4% of when going for a third victory. I want the Hawkeyes to play the team they beat by 28pts the last time they played, Nebraska.
I know this isn't the same team as last year...but last year Iowa won by 26 at home and then by 26 again on the road against Northwestern, only to lose 67-62 against Northwestern in the BTT.

I think Penn State. Nebraska might seem like a better matchup because of beatdown we gave them last time. But theres no doubt that nebraska has more talent. I dont think penn state could have another game against Iowa like last time.

Originally posted by meatloaf55:
I think Penn State. Nebraska might seem like a better matchup because of beatdown we gave them last time. But theres no doubt that nebraska has more talent. I dont think penn state could have another game against Iowa like last time.
I don't believe Nebraska has more talent. You must be over rating Petteway. Newbill is better and way more efficient than Petteway, Shields is probably a better #2 than PSU can offer, but after that Nebraska is terrible. Dickerson is way better than anything NU has inside and Penn St at least has one guard that can hit a 3.

Tough choice. I guess Nebraska. They seem to have given up this year and Petteway is the most selfish player in the league. PSU still thinks they have a shot at the NIT if they can just win a game or two and stay over .500.

I hope whoever we play, we keep to the same formula that we've been doing which is playing good D and having Aaron White play like it's his last college game. Hope they come out with intensity and play consistent for 40 min.

Man Nebraska was down big after halftime (I believe 16) and has it within 2 points with 4 minutes to play. Either of these teams are going to come out firing against Iowa tomorrow so I hope we don't come out flat expecting to win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT