ADVERTISEMENT

Who do you root for in the NFL,and why?

Live in Indiana for almost all my life so Colts.
I grew up a Bengals fan. Our TV choices were them or the Bears so I went with Cincinnati. When the Colts moved to town, I began to follow them. When Peyton arrived, I was all in. Lately with Joe Burrow, the Bengals have grabbed me again.

Watched KC vs Miami on Christmas Day no 1971, I believe. Miami won in double overtime. Been a Dolphins fan since.

I too watched that game. 8 years old, grandma's house in Storm Lake.

But I became a Chiefs fan (and also cemented myself a Hawkeye fan) because of Ed Podolak's unreal performance.

Reactions: Jan Itor
As far as non-Chiefs interest, for the most part it all depends on who is playing whom.

For example, say KC gets beat in the playoffs. I probably will then look to root for teams that have never been to a Super Bowl before (such as the Browns and Lions), then teams that have never won a Super Bowl (such as Buffalo).

I also will never, ever root for the Cowboys. And I probably won't root for teams that have several SB wins already if they're playing a team that has maybe 1 only.

Again, it's all in the matchups. This year, I'd say if it ain't the Chiefs, then give me Lions vs Browns.

As far as non-Chiefs interest, for the most part it all depends on who is playing whom.

For example, say KC gets beat in the playoffs. I probably will then look to root for teams that have never been to a Super Bowl before (such as the Browns and Lions), then teams that have never won a Super Bowl (such as Buffalo).

I also will never, ever root for the Cowboys. And I probably won't root for teams that have several SB wins already if they're playing a team that has maybe 1 only.

Again, it's all in the matchups. This year, I'd say if it ain't the Chiefs, then give me Lions vs Browns.
Every time I need the Cowboys to win to help my team out, they suck.

Chiefs- all my friends were Vikings fans and talking shit before Super Bowl 3 or 4. so rooted for the Chiefs. Also got a Len Dawson replica uniform fpr Christmas one year with shoulder pads and everything.

Nowadays with Fantasy, I am more interested in individual performances than team.

I’m a bandwagon NFL fan. Early on was a Raiders fan as I developed a soft spot for Nick Bell. Bo was also fun to watch.

Then I got a $40 Jerome Bettis card and found the Steelers, liking to them due to Hawk colors. Was a huge fan of Slash.

Now. I’m cheering on whatever Hawks are on the field. Loving the Lions this year. Also loving the 49’ers. Been living vicariously through their offenses.

Somehow I don’t have a problem cheering for McCaffery who depants us. Bosa who hit Stanley in damn head. Purdy who never won a game against a Hawk. Kittle is my favorite.

Reactions: Igor Stravinsky10
Nobody serious. Our family cheered for St. Louis teams as a rule, so we were St. Louis Cardinals fans, and I guess deep down I still connect with them, even though they moved in the 80s anf have never been any good.

Liked the Rams when they were in St. Louis, but no longer.

The wife is from Pittsburgh, so I kind of follow the Steelers.

Kind of cheered for KC since I've lived in Omaha for 30 years, but the diehard fans grew tiresome.

I don't own a lick of NFL merchandise.

I've a lifelong Steelers fan. My Dad is from the state and lived in the 'burgh during their Super Bowl run in the 70s and passed fandom down to me.

The rest of my family are Bears fans and I'd like to see them be more successful, but there hasn't been much reason to hop on that bandwagon.

6 year old me went to a chiefs game with dad grandpas and uncle. I met the Bucs mascot, been a fan ever since. First jersey I ever owned was a James Wilder one. That should give a hint to how long I’ve been a fan

The Ravens. Because I'm a hard core g who lived in charm city and their defenses of years past reminded me of the 85-86 bears.
Half Baked Boo GIF

• Haha
Reactions: GOHOX69
Packers and Bucs. Packers since I was a kid, my dad is from Wisconsin. Bucs only recently since I moved to Tampa bay and my wife is a diehard fan. We go to games a lot and they have grown on me.

I’m a Browns fan because my uncle lived in Cleveland and did some media/advertising work for the Indians and Browns…He was a huge Otto Graham fan…I was 6-7 years old…Cleveland sounded like a romantic, far away place when I was that age!

I am a Red Sox fan because in 1956 my dad took us the KC for a call game and he kept telling me about this left-handed hitter who was the best hitter in baseball (not named Musial)…Thd first time #9 came to bat he hit a high drive over the right field wall for a home run! I can remember the crowd’s “ooohhh!” At his vats contact with the ball… and from that June day in 1956 until today, I am a Boston Red Sox fan….. and I gave been one LONG before it was “cool” to be one…

Reactions: Twoooooooo
Joel's posts about the Browns got me wondering. I'm originally from Chicago so I'm diehard Bears, but I grew up in Cedar Rapids. Chiefs, Packers, Vikings were always on tv in CR while I was growing up so a lot of my friends are fans of theirs.

Who do you root for in the NFL, and why?

OP's Mom was also a Bears fan. I miss her.
Chiefs fan. As early as Podolak being there. And Dawson. Don’t remember why I picked them. But, it was a long, painful ride until recently. As a youth, I was absorbed in everything Chiefs. And, they gave me nothing.

Bears, it was the consistent team on tv each week. Plus, my dad attended Lake Forest College, which is where the Bears trained for many years, so he liked to visit the campus and watch the Bears practice. Back in those days, you just waited in the parking lot and got autographs as they got into their cars.

I also like the Raiders and 49ers because I like their uniforms/colors.

Reactions: DeangeloVickers
Vikings. Grew up in NW Iowa, and my dad was a Vikings fan. Mom was a Packers fan and stuck to her guns, God bless her.

Also grew up liking the Broncos. Thought it was due to our frequent Colorado vacations, but it turns out it was the John Elway factor. Haven’t been a big fan of them for a while.

Now I have a sister-in-law who’s from Wisconsin as well as a nephew who jumped ship to the Packers. Thankfully no Bears fans in the family.

Bears. Grew up in Chicagoland and was 10 when the monsters of the midway won the super bowl and hooked me for life. Mostly suffering ever since.

Steelers. Born in the 70's and the Steelers/Rams SB was my first in memory and that stuck. Probably aided by the Hawk look as well. Didn't have cable growing up so no ESPN and the 85 Bears were on TV weekly so picked them up for a few years until I got cable in college and could start following the Steelers again. Never looked back. Living in Iowa it would be way easier to attend games if I was a fan of one of the surrounding state's teams. I've only been to a game in Pittsburg once. Hard to justify 2 grand for a weekend in PA.

Vikings. Closest team to my hometown and every game was on TV growing up.

Honestly, when I was little, I thought every game was on TV because everybody loved the Vikings. I had no concept of regional broadcasts.

I wish I liked a different team. Be nice to experience a Super Bowl win as a fan.

Vikings fan. My dad still has the tickets from the team's first game ever played and he and some close friends were season-ticket holders at the Met and HHH. There's two seats from the Met in the garage at home that he kicked off the brackets and left with after the final game there in 1981 or 82.

We still get to a game or two each year in MPLS and I've been to all of the NFC North stadiums for games.

I've told the story before on here, but I'll add it again: I was a freshman in HS in 1998 when the Vikings lost to Atlanta in the NFC Championship. The second the game ended, my dad changed clothes, got in his car, and left the house for six hours. I've never asked him where he went or what he did.

• Haha
Reactions: EagleHawk
The cheerleaders. I keep hoping the NFL, NBA and MLB went bankrupt.

Vikings fan. My dad still has the tickets from the team's first game ever played and he and some close friends were season-ticket holders at the Met and HHH. There's two seats from the Met in the garage at home that he kicked off the brackets and left with after the final game there in 1981 or 82.

We still get to a game or two each year in MPLS and I've been to all of the NFC North stadiums for games.

I've told the story before on here, but I'll add it again: I was a freshman in HS in 1998 when the Vikings lost to Atlanta in the NFC Championship. The second the game ended, my dad changed clothes, got in his car, and left the house for six hours. I've never asked him where he went or what he did.
The day I stopped letting my passion affect my life. That loss devastated me. Couple weeks later I heard Robert Smith (stay in bounds dumbass) on radio talking about how he and some teammates went to Vegas after the game. I realized if they can get over it that fast and they were the ones that choked then why am I still depressed weeks later.

Reactions: LunchBox50
I will say that fantasy football has skewed my loyalty/rooting/viewing time for my favorite team (Steelers). When my opponent had Najee Harris. I was not that conflicted to root against him. Thankfully I don't have to worry about that during the playoffs.

Packer fan for life! Iowa's Bob Jeter was a Packer star. Began watching the Packer-Detroit Lion on Thanksgiving 1962 at the grandparents when the Lions upset the Packers for their only loss of the season. Iowa usually has the stinking Bears on so I grew to hate 'em. Boring. Billy Wade, Bobby Douglas, et.al. Jimmy Taylor from LSU was the toughest running back in the game. 1-2 punch of Taylor and Horning was the best tandem in the NFL...

The day I stopped letting my passion affect my life. That loss devastated me. Couple weeks later I heard Robert Smith (stay in bounds dumbass) on radio talking about how he and some teammates went to Vegas after the game. I realized if they can get over it that fast and they were the ones that choked then why am I still depressed weeks later.
That was a killer, for sure. So was the game against the Saints with Favre.

The NFC title game against the Eagles a week after the Minneapolis Miracle was when my fandom lessened to a degree. I have admittedly not been as invested in them as I was before that point.

Packers. Living in Iowa, they were often on the TV. Grew up watching Favre, the Minister Of Defense, etc.

Chicago in all sports but I also keep a sidepiece team I will follow. For years that NFL team was the Patriots because I have a buddy that played there and I enjoyed watching Tom Brady's greatness. Now I have moved on to the Bills. Former Hawkeyes in AJ and Micah Hyde and I love the way Josh Allen plays QB. Also cheer for Joe Burrow and the Bengals.

Bears - Bills
Cubs - Twins
Blackhawks - Bruins

Anymore I just want to see a good game. I also find myself rooting against teams that I hate more than rooting for the other team to win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT