ADVERTISEMENT

How many alcoholics do you have in your family tree?

Let's see... My father, 3 sisters and a brother. Several nieces and nephews. Definitely inherited from my father's side. Basically if you're in my family there is probably 75% odds that you're going to be an alcoholic.

Reactions: BrianNole777
I love your interest in human behavior. It’s often intrusive, but I get it. Can I sit on your couch while you analyze me? No anal.

I’m Irish Catholic raised and there’s nothing wrong with being an alcoholic, just be a functional one.
Same for me, but keep the anal

So one side of your father's body is composed of your sisters, a brother, and some nieces and nephews. And he happened to "give it' to you.
No. His side of the family is littered with alcoholics. I dodged the bullet. Two sets of genes for everyone. I, along with my twin brother did unfortunately receive a mutation of the Bag3 gene resulting in premature heart failure from him. My brother passed at age 20. I was somehow much luckier and didn't require a heart transplant until my 50's. My niece had one in her early 30's. Three more siblings with dilated cardiomyopathy which is the underlying cause.

One my favorite jokes:

Why do you always have to take two Baptists with you when you go fishing?

Because, if you only take one, he'll drink all of your beer.

200w.gif

The beer thread got me wondering:

I had several great aunts and uncles that were alcoholics on both sides. I never met them. My maternal Grandmother was Irish ancestry and had 5 siblings and I think 3 were alcoholics.

My Uncle met an older lady years ago that knew one of my great Uncles and she said he was "the nicest drunk you'd ever meet."

My great Grandfather was an eye doctor who died in his 40's of a brain aneurysm and rumors are that he was an alcoholic.

My maternal Uncle was a lawyer and an alcoholic. He used to drink 1 to 2 bottles of Smirnoff vodka per DAY. He died in his sleep in 2006 aged 54. If he didn't drink a bottle a day, he'd have seizures. He was on a commercial flight to Chicago once and had a seizure and they had to do an emergency landing. Very sad.

My older brother was an alcoholic and got into drugs. He died in 2017 aged 41 from a drug overdose. I posted about it on HROT. CSB.

My sister (no pics) had a drinking problem and was borderline alcoholic but quit.

My cousin (no pics) almost had liver failure at age 40 due to heavy drinking. She quit and is doing much better.

I boozed pretty hard in college then stopped. The last time I drank more than 4 drinks was New Year's Eve 2011. I always felt alcohol was overrated due to hangovers.

Alcoholism is partially genetic and I consider it a near miracle I'm not an alcoholic considering my family tree.

How about you?

I don't think I've had any alcoholics or addicts in my family, at all. German farm people, I would say 80% don't even drink.

Okay, now I realize I have to take that back. Maternal Grandmother ran a restaurant and there were times she would really get after it. Drank and smoke heavy while entertaining the patrons. Still, getting drunk on occasion isn't the same as being an alcoholic.

I don't think I've had any alcoholics or addicts in my family, at all. German farm people, I would say 80% don't even drink.

Okay, now I realize I have to take that back. Maternal Grandmother ran a restaurant and there were times she would really get after it. Drank and smoke heavy while entertaining the patrons. Still, getting drunk on occasion isn't the same as being an alcoholic.

How long did she live?

Both my grandfathers and a couple of uncles on my mom's side.
I don't think I could ever be one because the few times I've gotten good and drunk I couldn't even smell alcohol for a few days.

I got blackout drunk once and did OPs mom. I guess that is why I’m too blame for OP.

For me, maybe one of my brothers is a functioning alcoholic. My wife’s uncles struggle for sure and one is in AA.

For me, it is mostly good news. My dad is the youngest of 11 kids. He is 91 and the only one still living, but most of his siblings (and my grandparents) lived until their 80's/90's. They were either light/moderate drinkers or did not drink at all. I am not aware that any of my 22 cousins are/were heavy drinkers. The news on my mom's side is not as good, but not terrible. Her dad was an alcoholic and about half of her 7 siblings were heavy drinkers, but I wouldn't consider them alcoholic. They also mostly died in their 60's/70's. I had one cousin who drank herself to death in her early 50's.

The beer thread got me wondering:

I had several great aunts and uncles that were alcoholics on both sides. I never met them. My maternal Grandmother was Irish ancestry and had 5 siblings and I think 3 were alcoholics.

My Uncle met an older lady years ago that knew one of my great Uncles and she said he was "the nicest drunk you'd ever meet."

My great Grandfather was an eye doctor who died in his 40's of a brain aneurysm and rumors are that he was an alcoholic.

My maternal Uncle was a lawyer and an alcoholic. He used to drink 1 to 2 bottles of Smirnoff vodka per DAY. He died in his sleep in 2006 aged 54. If he didn't drink a bottle a day, he'd have seizures. He was on a commercial flight to Chicago once and had a seizure and they had to do an emergency landing. Very sad.

My older brother was an alcoholic and got into drugs. He died in 2017 aged 41 from a drug overdose. I posted about it on HROT. CSB.

My sister (no pics) had a drinking problem and was borderline alcoholic but quit.

My cousin (no pics) almost had liver failure at age 40 due to heavy drinking. She quit and is doing much better.

I boozed pretty hard in college then stopped. The last time I drank more than 4 drinks was New Year's Eve 2011. I always felt alcohol was overrated due to hangovers.

Alcoholism is partially genetic and I consider it a near miracle I'm not an alcoholic considering my family tree.

How about you?
Season 4 Episode 21 GIF by The Simpsons

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT