ADVERTISEMENT

Who Here Takes Vitamins, Herbs, and Other Supplements?

What about you? What's your level of herb or vitamin intake?

• Total voters
Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
I take both vitamins and herbal supplements. But I've been reading a lot lately about how poorly regulated the supplement industry is. Makes me a bit nervous. But of course Amazon would never sell me bad shit, amirite?

Reactions: BrianNole777
with the number of people on here critiquing the way people eat. supplements are obviously unnecessary for the nutritional guru's of hrot.

Vitamin D (general purposes)

Tart Cherry extract (gout avoidance)

The supplements industry isn't THAT bad from a QA perspective; it's the bullshit claims they make, which result from a very very blurry regulatory line that almost encourages them to make bullshit claims.

Creatine.

It's true, supplements are poorly regulated. For example, you take a protein shake that's labeled as having 25g protein but in reality it has 21g protein. Last I learned, the FDA didn't regulate all supplements.

Labdoor .com brings in supplements and tests them in labs to see the accuracy of labels. It's a nice website to have.

I take both vitamins and herbal supplements. But I've been reading a lot lately about how poorly regulated the supplement industry is. Makes me a bit nervous. But of course Amazon would never sell me bad shit, amirite?
This thread again...Have you ever read the side effects for pharma (allopathic) meds? And oh yea, they are regulated.

I make some of the new biologics. I wouldn't take them ;)

Reactions: MichaelKeller99
Vitamin D (general purposes)

Tart Cherry extract (gout avoidance)

The supplements industry isn't THAT bad from a QA perspective; it's the bullshit claims they make, which result from a very very blurry regulatory line that almost encourages them to make bullshit claims.
Pharma never makes bullshit claims......ever ;)
I'll be on a pharma junket in 2 weeks. I'll collect all the new swag and have a jolly discussion on how their drugs are 3000% safe.

Pharma never makes bullshit claims......ever ;)
I'll be on a pharma junket in 2 weeks. I'll collect all the new swag and have a jolly discussion on how their drugs are 3000% safe.
Well, but at least there's 'something' behind them, rather than a claim for "general joint health'. If you're on a junket, are you in the Sunshine database?

Re: biologics, for the life of me, i just can't understand how there can possibly be so much demand to sustain so many products for PsA, RA, and all of their second-cousin derm conditions. But it's been a funny world watching things develop from the old Amgen/J&J epo battles, and amazing how far it's come. (Truly amazing watching how the biosims to Humira are playing out - and not - in the third party payor market.) And I remember back in the day doing an internal investigation for one of the very early biologic manufacturers, and on friday afternoon we're giving an interim report to the CEO when a guy comes in an whispers in his ear. We say, 'what's up?' and he smiles and says "we're out of product." we say, "well, do you need to attend to that?" he says, "no, it's fine, it happens every friday about this time." production chains aren't what they once were.

Centrum multi-vitamin, Glucosamine for my joints, and I’ve occasionally taken other supplements like probiotics and L-Caratine but not sure I’ve seen any results from those.

I take a multivitamin and my BIL who is a pharmacist laughs at me. He says it doesn’t do anything but give me expensive pee.

I take a shit ton of stuff. However, I run it by my doctor for interaction issues. She sneers at me when I ask about the next supplement I take butgives me the proper advice. I look at it this way...It may or may not work but I am willing to waste the money on the chance it may help.
Drs HATE healthy people.. Its bad for business

Reactions: KFsdisciple
I take a Centrum 1-2 times a week, and supplement that with IPA beer and Tequila along with some primo ganja.

Doctors will tell you if you are healthy and eat correctly, (lots of vegetables, salads, fruit, lean protein), you really do not need anything else. I just eat too much junk food here and there, thus the extra multi vitamins a couple times a week.

The medical field has been co-opted by ideologues. It's difficult to discern medical advice these days.

I take a multi vitamin twice a week and fish oil daily.

Fish oil is the best. It cured my migraines after 10 years of suffering. I've told thousands of migraineurs about it online and it's helped a bunch.

RIP @BrianNole777

Reactions: BrianNole777
Personally, I've experienced similar apprehensions, which is why I'm cautious about what supplements I take. I always prioritize brands with transparent sourcing and third-party testing to ensure quality and safety standards are met.

Also, while exploring supplements, I recently came across Goliath Steroids online. Though I haven't tried them myself, I've heard mixed opinions. It's crucial to approach such products with caution and gather as much information as possible before making a decision. Here's the link: https://goliathsteroids.com/

Last edited:
This thread again...Have you ever read the side effects for pharma (allopathic) meds? And oh yea, they are regulated.

I make some of the new biologics. I wouldn't take them ;)
GOHOX. I know that YOU know your stuff. 3 questions for you if I might:

Do you take anything and if so what?
I and some of my family are on Prescriptions (High Blood Pressure, Cholesterol, Anti Anxiety). How can we tell what is really safe and ok for us?
You liked what Goldmom is taking. Is there a good resource (without bothering you) on what vitamins & Supplements would be good?

Thank you sir and GO HAWKS!!!

Reactions: GOHOX69
I haven't seen much evidence that supplements do anything. Vitamin D has the best evidence I'm aware of. Magnesium maybe has some support. I think there is a strong placebo effect for a lot of folks.

GOHOX. I know that YOU know your stuff. 3 questions for you if I might:

Do you take anything and if so what?
I and some of my family are on Prescriptions (High Blood Pressure, Cholesterol, Anti Anxiety). How can we tell what is really safe and ok for us?
You liked what Goldmom is taking. Is there a good resource (without bothering you) on what vitamins & Supplements would be good?

Thank you sir and GO HAWKS!!!
These are the things I would recommend to you :
1. Reduce sugar and processed foods. Easier said that done but totally worth it.
2. I take magnesium, 500 mg per day. If you take more, might have a laxative effect.
3. A good multivitamin without iron.
4. Berberine. 500 mg per day 2x. It's a known cancer fighter and also keeps sugar in check. It also crosses the blood brain barrier and has shown to reduce plaques seen in dementia.
5. I do a shot, a tablespoon or so, of olive oil day. The good evoo type. Olive oil is central to long life and fairly affordable. Sprinkle it on your salads etc. Don't heat it. It will break down and you don't want oxidized oil. Try to reduce seed oil and wheat based products. They cause gut inflammation.

If you have a specific health concern, dm me. There's no need to spend thousands but these things keep me healthy. Better than a 45k drug 😉 Best of health to you and yours and go hawks.

I haven't seen much evidence that supplements do anything. Vitamin D has the best evidence I'm aware of. Magnesium maybe has some support. I think there is a strong placebo effect for a lot of folks.
Magnesium has lots of support. They give that in the cardiology clinic.

These are the things I would recommend to you :
1. Reduce sugar and processed foods. Easier said that done but totally worth it.
2. I take magnesium, 500 mg per day. If you take more, might have a laxative effect.
3. A good multivitamin without iron.
4. Berberine. 500 mg per day 2x. It's a known cancer fighter and also keeps sugar in check. It also crosses the blood brain barrier and has shown to reduce plaques seen in dementia.
5. I do a shot, a tablespoon or so, of olive oil day. The good evoo type. Olive oil is central to long life and fairly affordable. Sprinkle it on your salads etc. Don't heat it. It will break down and you don't want oxidized oil. Try to reduce seed oil and wheat based products. They cause gut inflammation.

If you have a specific health concern, dm me. There's no need to spend thousands but these things keep me healthy. Better than a 45k drug 😉 Best of health to you and yours and go hawks.
Thank you SO MUCH!!! This means the world to me! I am showing this to my family and we are all going to use this info!! :)

Wishing YOU and your family GREAT health as well!!!

GO HAWKS!!

Reactions: GOHOX69
Thank you SO MUCH!!! This means the world to me! I am showing this to my family and we are all going to use this info!! :)

Wishing YOU and your family GREAT health as well!!!

GO HAWKS!!
Glad to help. The things I do in lab are just mimicry of mother nature. The first half of allopathic or what is called "medicine" world wide simply involved the extraction and manufacture of natural compounds. These days, we make denovo things but again those are present in cells or just modifications thereof.

Reactions: Hawkman34
Most-Used Natural Products by U.S. Adults

1. Fish oil/omega 3/DHA, EPA fatty acids
2. Glucosamine and/or chondroitin
3. Probiotics/prebiotics
4. Melatonin
5. Coenzyme Q10
6. Echinacea
7. Cranberry (pills or capsules)
8. Garlic supplements
9. Ginseng
10. Ginkgo biloba