ADVERTISEMENT

Who is the greatest shooter in Iowa History?

Sep 14, 2019
I-O-W-A
To be the greatest shooter you need 3 things
Poise
Clutch
Technique
Of those 3 categories and looking up stats I would say it goes in this order
1.Freddie Brown
2.Roy Marble Sr
3.JBO
4.Jok

Agree with what has already been mentioned including Roy Sr was not a very good pure shooter, more of a slasher for sure.

Off the top, I'd add Vince Brookins, Val Barnes, and John Johnson (aside from the technique criteria but he sure could nail that "line drive") for consideration. Maybe Adam Haluska and Jeff Horner too. CJF may very well be on this list before it's all said and done.

Any list without Kingsbury and Jok is insufficient. Those 2 had range and pure shots that could go in any time. And they were big and strong enough to do it. I didn't see him play but Freddie Brown was supposed to be in the same category () so I think you have to include him, too. JoBo is another pure shooter but not as strong as the others I mentioned, he just shoots it from further away to avoid contact:)

Any list without Kingsbury and Jok is insufficient. Those 2 had range and pure shots that could go in any time. And they were big and strong enough to do it. I didn't see him play but Freddie Brown was supposed to be in the same category ( ) so I think you have to include him, too. JoBo is another pure shooter but not as strong as the others I mentioned, he just shoots it from further away to avoid contact:)
All depends what you want to use as a criteria for great shooter. Chris became an icon at Iowa as a volume shooter who would fearlessly pull from almost anywhere past mid court. His strength allowed him to shoot a fairly normal jump shot from 35 to 40 feet, but by percentage he was never in the category of any of these other Hawks. He never shot 40% for a season, and his career was around 35%, so about the same as Luka Garza. Mac led the nation one season at 52% and was 45% for his career. Most of these guys are in the 42 to 45% career range. I would take Jbo or Jok anytime over Chris if a wanted a three late in game and needed it. Freddy could fill it up from deep, but have no real data to tell what his numbers would look like.

To be the greatest shooter you need 3 things
Poise
Clutch
Technique
Of those 3 categories and looking up stats I would say it goes in this order
1.Freddie Brown
2.Roy Marble Sr
3.JBO
4.Jok
Downtown Freddie Brown & its not even close.

Remember, too, that he won an NBA title w/ the Seattle Supersonics.

Freddy was an all time great and a superb shooter from waaaaaayyyyyyyyy downtown.

Imagine if the 3 point line existed in his college playing days?

Fred played his 1st two years at community college.

His last 2 years were at Iowa.

His stats at Iowa:
1,091 points
2 yrs: 1970-1971
48 Games Played (24 per season!)
50.1 FG%
22.7 ppg

Downtown Freddie Brown & its not even close.

Remember, too, that he won an NBA title w/ the Seattle Supersonics.

Freddy was an all time great and a superb shooter from waaaaaayyyyyyyyy downtown.

Imagine if the 3 point line existed in his college playing days?

Fred played his 1st two years at community college.

His last 2 years were at Iowa.

His stats at Iowa:
1,091 points
2 yrs: 1970-1971
48 Games Played (24 per season!)
50.1 FG%
22.7 ppg
Brown is easily No. 1. He was a great rebounder too. He jumped way above his height -- 6-3, I believe. I doubt that he ever had a shot blocked -- given his quickness and jumping ability.

No. 2 is Brookins. I'd say his shot was the most pleasing to the eye.

Definitely not Roy Marble.

It depends on whether you are just talking outside shooting or having an variety of shots.

If just outside shooting, I would go
JBo
Jok
Freddie Brown
McCausland

If you are talking shooting from anywhere, I would say Freddie Brown is easily the best I have seen.

Reactions: anon_i8nzeu2gbf0ba
Brown is easily No. 1. He was a great rebounder too. He jumped way above his height -- 6-3, I believe. I doubt that he ever had a shot blocked -- given his quickness and jumping ability.

No. 2 is Brookins. I'd say his shot was the most pleasing to the eye.
Vince ran hot and cold, and his shot was flatter than most of the others. But when he was on...

And again, you have to include Kingsbury in this list.

Marble..no where near the list. Neither one of 'em. Kingsbury has to be on it. McCausland, Freddie Brown, JBo, Jok...all worthy of mention. Freddie was freaky hot...the nickname didn't come from nowhere. Kingsbury also had hot streaks where he was super human.

Most of these players mentioned (Jobo Kingsbury, Horner, Haluska, Jok, even Moe) were ballers. They could really play. MacCausland is not in their league. I’d compare him to Devin Bawinkle who stood in the corner and shot it from 3 (and only 3) when he was open. In terms of pure shooter I’d go with Jok and Jobo is a close second. But if you’re going to put Macausland into a list of names with great players then at least put Bawinkle in there too. But Mac did help us win at Kansas and I remember loving that game.

Reactions: Bee93
Most of these players mentioned (Jobo Kingsbury, Horner, Haluska, Jok, even Moe) were ballers. They could really play. MacCausland is not in their league. I’d compare him to Devin Bawinkle who stood in the corner and shot it from 3 (and only 3) when he was open. In terms of pure shooter I’d go with Jok and Jobo is a close second. But if you’re going to put Macausland into a list of names with great players then at least put Bawinkle in there too. But Mac did help us win at Kansas and I remember loving that game.

That deserves a big fat....WRONG about kent mac

Marble may be one of the best scorers but not the best shooter
Not the best but ones that haven’t been mentioned.
Val Barnes
Jarrod Uthoff
Luke Recker

Reactions: Kurt Warner
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT