ADVERTISEMENT

Who is the greatest shooter in Iowa History?

Nobody could shoot the three-point range shot with more flare then 6th man Ben McGilmer. Then, again, every shot he made had an exclamation point. Same team as Brown, with Glenn Vidnavic having a decent shot too.

Reactions: Speedway1
For you kingsbury lovers. His career average is about the same as Conner mccaffery. 35 vs 34%.
And that’s with Conner shooting from a deeper line than kingsbury.

To be the greatest shooter you need 3 things
Poise
Clutch
Technique
Of those 3 categories and looking up stats I would say it goes in this order
1.Freddie Brown
2.Roy Marble Sr
3.JBO
4.Jok
Downtown, not even close. His senior year he averaged 27+ BEFORE the 3 point line. WIth it might have averaged 33+ with 50%+ shooting and the defenses keyed on him. And he was a showman as well, fun to watch

Dear lord. What the f does this have to do with kingsbury being a 35% 3pt shooter?
Kingsbury was an average 3pt shooter and a below average shooter inside the arc. If you talking about all time greats he’s not in the argument.

you are who your stats say you are..... therefore those guys are the best shooters in history. I am guessing most wouldn’t take them to win horse contests.

Downtown, not even close. His senior year he averaged 27+ BEFORE the 3 point line. WIth it might have averaged 33+ with 50%+ shooting and the defenses keyed on him. And he was a showman as well, fun to watch

He wouldn't be able to get his shot off against today's defenses.

Very wrong.
Wrong. He was very quick, very strong. He was up in a split second. He was 6-3 and could outjump most anyone. It's why he led the NBA in 3-point shooting percentage the first year they tracked it. He would have fun against a defense like Illinois', whose basic defensive strategy is holding.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Downtown Freddie Brown & its not even close.

Remember, too, that he won an NBA title w/ the Seattle Supersonics.

Freddy was an all time great and a superb shooter from waaaaaayyyyyyyyy downtown.

Imagine if the 3 point line existed in his college playing days?

Fred played his 1st two years at community college.

His last 2 years were at Iowa.

His stats at Iowa:
1,091 points
2 yrs: 1970-1971
48 Games Played (24 per season!)
50.1 FG%
22.7 ppg

Freddie did it with a great team around him and he did it the next yer without. Freddie Brown had the easiest smoothest jumper I've ever seen at Iowa.

Very wrong.

Wrong. He was very quick, very strong. He was up in a split second. He was 6-3 and could outjump most anyone. It's why he led the NBA in 3-point shooting percentage the first year they tracked it. He would have fun against a defense like Illinois', whose basic defensive strategy is holding.

He would not be considered very quick and very strong in today’s game.

I never saw Brown play at Iowa.

Of the guys I have seen, I'd probably take JBo, McCausland and Jok. Kingsbury's biggest assets were fearlessness and range, JBo is his equal in both and is actually a better shooter.

JBo
Jok
Freddie Brown
Kent McCausland
Add Brookins to that list and that would be my 5. Hard to distinguish them, Bo is the most clutch. Jok and Vinny had the prettiest shots. McCausland was just automatic when open. Never saw Brown.

Nobody could shoot the three-point range shot with more flare then 6th man Ben McGilmer. Then, again, every shot he made had an exclamation point. Same team as Brown, with Glenn Vidnavic having a shot too.
Ben was also an excellent bongo player. Often at Gabe's.

Marble may be one of the best scorers but not the best shooter
Not the best but ones that haven’t been mentioned.
Val Barnes
Jarrod Uthoff
Luke Recker
I’d say Roy was one of the best shooters in Iowa history - if you count that as putting the ball in the basket I think he shot a better % then most those guy. Most guys that score at his level are good shooters

Its JoBo right now and CJF could pass him up by the time his career is over. Both live with ice water in their veins.

Nobody could shoot the three-point range shot with more flare then 6th man Ben McGilmer. Then, again, every shot he made had an exclamation point. Same team as Brown, with Glenn Vidnavic having a decent shot too.
I don't remember him having much of a shot. Good rebounder, dangerous up to 10-12 feet, loved by fans. He gave the team a huge lift when he entered the game.

Unfortunately I was stationed in the middle of the Pacific ocean during the 69/70 season and wasn't able to see any Hawkeye basketball games until I was discharged in late 72, but Lester, Bobby Hansen, Armstrong, Jeff Moe, Kingsbury, McCausland, Haluska, Horner, Uthoff, Jok, and JBO, can all be put up there as great Hawkeye shooters.....

When you lead the nation in 3-point shooting, I'd say that should guarantee you a spot on this list, and that's exactly what Kent McCausland did. Not flashy. Just effective. And as you may recall, they don't give style points in basketball.

I’d say Roy was one of the best shooters in Iowa history - if you count that as putting the ball in the basket I think he shot a better % then most those guy. Most guys that score at his level are good shooters
All I remember is him making 5 - 12 FT's in Minneapolis that would have advanced us past NC State in the '86 NCAA regional. We lost 66 - 64 while the team was 14 - 26 from the free throw line. We did get to Meet Jim Valvano after the game in the motel bar. We sent a drink to his table and he came over an chatted us up for 2 or 3 minutes. Maybe the highlight of my basketball life...

Best shooter from anywhere on the court = Jok
Best 3 point shooter = McCausland
Best shooter from the key = Kevin Gamble
Best Power Dunker - Gerry Wright
Best Finesse Dunker - Andre Banks
Best Open Court Lay-up shooter - Adam Woodbury

Brown is easily No. 1. He was a great rebounder too. He jumped way above his height -- 6-3, I believe. I doubt that he ever had a shot blocked -- given his quickness and jumping ability.

No. 2 is Brookins. I'd say his shot was the most pleasing to the eye.
Lots of good shooters but Sam Williams had as sweet shot also. As did Ben McGilmer ,BJ and Lester.

All I remember is him making 5 - 12 FT's in Minneapolis that would have advanced us past NC State in the '86 NCAA regional. We lost 66 - 64 while the team was 14 - 26 from the free throw line. We did get to Meet Jim Valvano after the game in the motel bar. We sent a drink to his table and he came over an chatted us up for 2 or 3 minutes. Maybe the highlight of my basketball life...
I was also there. I remember Bob Huggins coaching for Akron and saying that guy is going to be a big time coach.

A little love for Steve Carfino ... :)

636565415918869812-0900-001.jpg

My actual vote is Downtown Freddie Brown ... here he is shooting over Michael Cooper (one of the best defenders in the NBA) in some of these highlights. The last jumper he has Kareem flying at him. :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT