ADVERTISEMENT

Who is the next Donald Trump?

Uwe.Blab

HR All-American
Dec 19, 2006
After Trump gets re-elected in November, who runs as the new Donald Trump in 2024. Right now I could see Lindsay Graham morphing into that guy but could be someone I am not aware of yet. Surely Pence has his sights on the presidency, but I cannot see Trump supporters going for it-- it is about personality and Pence is no Trump.

Who you got?

So I throw Lindsay Graham out there and no one can think of anyone else?

Like I said, Pence doesn't have the personality or temperament that took over the R party.

AP_18051186742141.0.jpg

Graham may well run, but I can’t think of another figure that would approach the process like Trump.

A few of his opponents tried to crib his style and it simply didn’t work for anyone else.

I don't think there will be another one. I think Trump is a black swan scenario. I think most of the lessons people think they will learn from his "success" will be ill advised. I don't think anyone can duplicate the unique scenario of Trump in the exact moment in time.

I really think the primary lesson that will be applicable is that Republicans have soured on the Bush style establishment, coalition building, apologetic, concession-seeking personality. They feel ridiculed and disrespected by Democrats and the media, and they want someone to fight for them. And I'm not talking about just racists and alt right, I'm talking about people who just are standard Christians, business owners, etc.

I do NOT think that means you have to be an unstable idiot randomly swinging a gulf club around trying to hit anything with bright colors. You just have to convince that you're not a pushover.

I think that it would be a big mistake to assume there is anything in policy or principles to lift from Trump. He's really all over the board there, and there's plenty of evidence to the effect that he doesn't really understand or care about the vast majority of it. It really is all about "winning" or getting the better of the other guy, and it doesn't matter all that much what the terms are, as long as you can call it a win.

I think that aura can probably be harnessed by a more traditional Republican. I don't see Lindsey Graham being the guy...he's kind of the opposite of an "alpha."

Reactions: sober_teacher
Nikki Haley is the name I see the most, but she is not Trump.

It's early, but I think Nikki Haley should be the favorite. She's done as well a job as anyone could of aligning with Trump without abandoning herself, and is probably in the best position to unite Trump true-believers and traditional Republicans.

Plus, she's about a million times smarter than he is, and from what I've seen I think will be able to play the pugnacious "fighter" persona well enough. I mean, nobody knows how she'll hold up in a campaign of that nature, but I could see her really thriving on stage against most opponents.

It's early, but I think Nikki Haley should be the favorite. She's done as well a job as anyone could of aligning with Trump without abandoning herself, and is probably in the best position to unite Trump true-believers and traditional Republicans.

Plus, she's about a million times smarter than he is, and from what I've seen I think will be able to play the pugnacious "fighter" persona well enough. I mean, nobody knows how she'll hold up in a campaign of that nature, but I could see her really thriving on stage against most opponents.
Too bad she was born in India. And, of course, she's a Muslim.

Too bad she was born in India. And, of course, she's a Muslim.

“When Nikki Randhawa was five years old, her parents attempted to enter her in the "Miss Bamberg" contest. Reflecting a history of racial segregation, the contest traditionally crowned both an African-American queen and a white queen. Since the judges decided Randhawa did not fit either category, they disqualified her.”

I’d like to see a Haley candidacy just to see how the Democrats tried to attack her.

Reactions: ctghawk
Paul LePage was Trump before Trump became a politician. However he might be too old by that point considering he's 71 now.

I don't think there will be another one. I think Trump is a black swan scenario. I think most of the lessons people think they will learn from his "success" will be ill advised. I don't think anyone can duplicate the unique scenario of Trump in the exact moment in time.

I really think the primary lesson that will be applicable is that Republicans have soured on the Bush style establishment, coalition building, apologetic, concession-seeking personality. They feel ridiculed and disrespected by Democrats and the media, and they want someone to fight for them. And I'm not talking about just racists and alt right, I'm talking about people who just are standard Christians, business owners, etc.

I do NOT think that means you have to be an unstable idiot randomly swinging a gulf club around trying to hit anything with bright colors. You just have to convince that you're not a pushover.

I think that it would be a big mistake to assume there is anything in policy or principles to lift from Trump. He's really all over the board there, and there's plenty of evidence to the effect that he doesn't really understand or care about the vast majority of it. It really is all about "winning" or getting the better of the other guy, and it doesn't matter all that much what the terms are, as long as you can call it a win.

I think that aura can probably be harnessed by a more traditional Republican. I don't see Lindsey Graham being the guy...he's kind of the opposite of an "alpha."

I don't buy it. The Republican base has been turning into liking the way Trump acts for a long time now. All you have to do is look at the radio personalities that the right regularly follows. Limbaugh, Jones, etc. The ridiculous anger, the willingness to attack ANYONE, the complete lack of empathy, the lack of care for facts or reality, the constant attacks on the media.

If Trump wins in 2024 the Republicans are going to look for the same kind of person as his successor.

After Trump gets re-elected in November, who runs as the new Donald Trump in 2024. Right now I could see Lindsay Graham morphing into that guy but could be someone I am not aware of yet. Surely Pence has his sights on the presidency, but I cannot see Trump supporters going for it-- it is about personality and Pence is no Trump.

Who you got?
Hannity?

He's 58.

Paul LePage was Trump before Trump became a politician. However he might be too old by that point considering he's 71 now.

I don't buy it. The Republican base has been turning into liking the way Trump acts for a long time now. All you have to do is look at the radio personalities that the right regularly follows. Limbaugh, Jones, etc. The ridiculous anger, the willingness to attack ANYONE, the complete lack of empathy, the lack of care for facts or reality, the constant attacks on the media.

If Trump wins in 2024 the Republicans are going to look for the same kind of person as his successor.
I think a lot of us have been hoping that the next R will right the ship. But you make a good argument that that is wishful thinking.

You guys are all wrong. This is all Bloomberg. he has the means and the smarts to dismantle the entire system. He has joined forces with the Bezos money and this is his election to lose.

Reactions: Finance85

So, I follow what you're saying, but I don't buy it. Everyone wants to bucket the Trump era into epic, far-reaching theories.

Rush Limbaugh was the most listened to host on radio, and by far the most influential conservative radio host, by 1990. From the point Rush became dominant Republicans have nominated:
GHW Bush
Bob Dole
GW Bush
John McCain
Mitt Romney

Now, I haven't listened to 30 seconds of Rush in the last 15 years. But I used to listen plenty, and the Rush Limbaugh that captured the imaginations of conservatives had almost nothing in common with the scattershot lunacy of Trump, unless you consider Mitt Romney no different from Trump, in which case...good day sir.

The fact that you characterize Alex (presumably?) Jones as a voice that conservatives rally around again kind of gives away your game. 90% of Republican voters would only know of Alex Jones vis a vis the way he's been elevated by the mainstream media, if at all. Republicans haven't exactly been "9/11 was an inside job" fanatics.

You can cherry pick lunatics anywhere and try to assign them to the other "team", but that doesn't make it a relevant way to look at the world.

All that said, you and I actually look at the world pretty similarly, we're on the same page on probably about 90% of what we think, and I respect your opinions. And I don't think any more highly of Trump than you do, believe me.

I just disagree with your (and really everybody's) attempts to synthesize Trump into a standard framework, or make sweeping hysterical conclusions about what it means for the future.

So? It can be made a problem. (see: Obama, Barack; birther)

Are you saying the Democrats are going to take that approach? If so, good luck.

If you're saying the Republican voters are going to reject her over it, you're falling into the same trap of "all Trump voters are hardcore racists." Go ahead and believe that if you want, it's what so many people want to believe.

Trump's job approval just hit 51%. I guess 51% of the country is now hard core racists.

I get it. It's the most comforting way to deal with losing. I'm old enough to remember when Bill Clinton won, and Republicans did the same thing substituting "communist" for "racist". It's natural to want to blame it on "they" being intractable and irredeemable deviants.

But just because it's comfortable, doesn't make it accurate. And it doesn't lead to good decision-making. I believe we see the fruits of that in a Democratic primary hell bent on nominating someone so outside the mainstream that even Trump will be able to beat them. Instead of giving credit that a significant amount of Trump voters are doing so for (to them) rational reasons and self interest, and making a case for those people's votes, they've written those people off as KKK members and raced leftward with impunity.

I hope there's a return to decency or at least sanity in the post-Trump GOP, I'd even settle for the appearance of decency and sanity.

If that hope comes to a fruition likely depends on 2020 and what role Trump decides to have when he's left the White House. If he's beaten is he black listed by establishment GOP/Fox? Does anyone think Trump would go quietly? The Trump question and demographic changes seem to put the GOP in a tough spot.

I wonder if Fox has the power with their captive audience to ensure a return to decency? Of course the risk being there are other fringe outlets that will be willing to tell people whatever it is they want to hear.

I just hope what Trump revealed about the GOP base scabs back over and no one picks at it again.

I hope there's a return to decency or at least sanity in the post-Trump GOP, I'd even settle for the appearance of decency and sanity.

If that hope comes to a fruition likely depends on 2020 and what role Trump decides to have when he's left the White House. If he's beaten is he black listed by establishment GOP/Fox? Does anyone think Trump would go quietly? The Trump question and demographic changes seem to put the GOP in a tough spot.

I wonder if Fox has the power with their captive audience to ensure a return to decency? Of course the risk being there are other fringe outlets that will be willing to tell people whatever it is the way to hear.

I just hope what Trump revealed about the GOP base scabs back over and no one picks at it again.
FOX will probably give him his own show.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT