ADVERTISEMENT

Who is your most favorite college athlete of all time?

Deion Sanders. He was incredibly talented as a cover corner, one of the best kick/punt returners ever. Flashy, brash, fun to watch. Talked a lot of trash, but almost always in a humorous way. In addition to being one of the top few college football players ever, he was a damn good college baseball player, and also ran track.
If he played for someone else, I am sure I’d have disliked him. If he’d played for uf, I would have despised him. But he starred for the good guys, so I loved him.

Reactions: LesClaypool
Bob Sanders has to be up there
AR-180809993.jpg&MaxH=500&MaxW=900

Noles, in order:
Charlie Ward
Warrick Dunn
Dalvin Cook

Non-Noles, in no particular order:
Len Bias
Barry Sanders
Ricky Williams
Danny Manning
Bo Jackson

Reactions: Funky Bunch
It seems suspicious to name a current competitor, but Spencer Lee is a transcendent talent and just a great kid. Ia sport filled with machismo and testosterone, he chooses to come out for his title bouts to the Pokémon theme song.

In basketball, I’d go with Downtown Freddy Brown. Ronnie Lester close behind.

In football there are just too many to choose from. Someone mentioned Tippet. That’s a good choice. My dad would have said Alex Karras.

Regarding Lee, Ben Askren summed it up well with “Who does that?”

Football - I only watched Marshall because of Randy Moss. He played 2 years, only one was Div 1A. But he had 3,500 yards and 54 TDs. He was just ridiculous.

Basketball - Grew up a Terp fan. Len Bias is an easy one.

Reactions: onlyTheObvious
Man, I've got quite a few favorites for college football, but really only one for college basketball:

university-of-arkansas-corliss-williamson-1994-ncaa-april-11-1994-sports-illustrated-cover.jpg

I wasn't even a big Arkansas fan, but I paid big money for an authentic Corliss Williamson Razorbacks jersey.

It seems suspicious to name a current competitor, but Spencer Lee is a transcendent talent and just a great kid. Ia sport filled with machismo and testosterone, he chooses to come out for his title bouts to the Pokémon theme song.

In basketball, I’d go with Downtown Freddy Brown. Ronnie Lester close behind.

In football there are just too many to choose from. Someone mentioned Tippet. That’s a good choice. My dad would have said Alex Karras.

Regarding Lee, Ben Askren summed it up well with “Who does that?”

My kid wrestled for Ben at Askren Academy when he was in Middle School. What Ben says is truth. What is amazing is that Spencer is muscling a kid that has reportedly Bench Pressed north of 300 pounds...which is incredible for a 125 pound person. Nato is no weakling.

Reactions: artradley
As someone who never wrestled and has a pretty limited understanding of the sport, Spencer has soared up my list of favorite Hawkeyes. He's the most dominant athlete in any sport at this time. This years squad is so fun to watch...Spencer, Kemerer, Eierman, Desanto and the amazing story of a great young man in Marinelli. Nice to have Iowa back on top where we belong.

33 is the baddest man I've ever seen on a football field regardless size or what uniform. Talked to him two years ago when he was inducted to the Iowa HoF and he looks as intimidating as ever. One impressive physique.

Reactions: pink shizzle
Hawkeyes
Andre Tippett
Larry Station
Brad Banks
Ronnie Lester

Non-Hawkeyes
Bo Jackson
Len Bias
Brian Bosworth
Larry Johnson (minus the Iowa game)

Was he the qb that was jacked?

Yep. Super jacked, could throw the football a mile but in accurate as hell. But it didn’t matter. he had Randy Miss and Coles on the wing with Peter Warwick working the middle and Warwick Dunn running. Then it all fell apart

ISU alum here, so certainly biased. Football was shit for so many years so no one.....yet. Loved Marcus Fizer and Georges Niang for their basketball accomplishments. Both are still loyal Cyclones to the core.

dwijCM.gif

Football- Ed Hinkel
Basketball- Jeff Boschee/ Luke Recker

Last edited:
Bob is #1 on my list.

Leroy Smith was so much fun to watch coming off the edge.

Sedrick Shaw is my top on offense. His running style was fun, he'd truck you or run by you and had a nasty spin move. Never knew which he would use.

B.J. Armstong #1 for hoops, Andre Woolridge a close 2nd. I still can't believe he got robbed on the big ten POY.

ISU alum here, so certainly biased. Football was shit for so many years so no one.....yet. Loved Marcus Fizer and Georges Niang for their basketball accomplishments. Both are still loyal Cyclones to the core.

dwijCM.gif
I really enjoyed watching Floyd and Eustachy’s teams, but Royce White is probably the ISU player I enjoyed watching the most. He was ridiculously skilled.

Hank Gathers/Bo Kinball(Hell tbh I loved watching Loyola and their style of play)

I'll be honest, while I FAR prefer watch two teams go up and down, run and gun style, LM was a bit too far. It was interesting in small doses, like the (IIRC) 148-144 game against LSU, but a full season of that would have been irritating after a while.

My speed was more Tark UNLV, Richardson Arkansas, Davis Iowa, etc.

However, those two were great college players.

I wish I was able to see Bo Jackson play. He's one of those dudes I hear about and see highlight clips of but to see the little things- the three yard run that should have been a two yard loss that he muscled through, the arm strength in baseball, etc.

I wish I was able to see Bo Jackson play. He's one of those dudes I hear about and see highlight clips of but to see the little things- the three yard run that should have been a two yard loss that he muscled through, the arm strength in baseball, etc.

With Jackson it was more, boring 3 yard gain...boring 2 yard gain...boring 5 yard gain...OMG WHAT DID HE JUST DO?!?! DID YOU SEE THOSE 8 GUYS HE RAN THROUGH?!?! I THINK THAT ONE GUY IS ACTUALLY DEAD!!! HO-LEEE S***!!!

Barry Sanders was the guy who would make a 2 yard gain seem like the greatest run in NFL history, and he did it all the freaking time.

On the baseball field it was...Strike out...Strike out...HOLY S***, I THINK HE HIT THE WRIGLEY SCOREBOARD!!!...HE GOT A TRIPLE ON A COME BACKER TO THE PITCHER...misjudged fly ball...OMG, FULL LAYOUT DIVE INTO LC AND A THROW HOME FROM HIS BACK FOR THE DP!!!

With Jackson it was more, boring 3 yard gain...boring 2 yard gain...boring 5 yard gain...OMG WHAT DID HE JUST DO?!?! DID YOU SEE THOSE 8 GUYS HE RAN THROUGH?!?! I THINK THAT ONE GUY IS ACTUALLY DEAD!!! HO-LEEE S***!!!

Barry Sanders was the guy who would make a 2 yard gain seem like the greatest run in NFL history, and he did it all the freaking time.
This is true. I did see Sanders play a little bit at the end if his career. I think I'd have been more appreciative seeing it now as opposed to a kid in grade school.

Reactions: SSG T
Too many Hawkeyes to name so I’ll go with other players I loved to watch play when I was really into sports.

Glen Rice
Barry Sanders
Rocket Ismail
Hank Gathers/Bo Kinball(Hell tbh I loved watching Loyola and their style of play)
Lavar Arrington
Chris Jackson(LSU)
Stacy Augmon
Steve Kerr(I was a PG but i shot until my fingers bled to be more like Kerr)
Len Bias
Tamarick Vanover
If forced to choose a player from neither of my schools, I might go with Antwaan Randle El. He was totally electric at IU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT