ADVERTISEMENT

Who on HROT eats rabbit?

lucas80

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
I lost 30 minutes of my life today listening to a co-worker talk about how they had chicken and rabbits growing up. No store bought meat for them. Rabbit stew. Roast rabbit. Fried rabbit. I don’t know if he tried the kind that Daffy Duck talked about. Fricaseed?
It’s absolutely riveting. Then he started talking about a wood pile. I don’t know if it’s his wood pile, or a neighbor’s wood pile.

Reactions: BrianNole09
Usually in a crock pot. Sometimes BBQ, sometimes with rice and Lipton onion soup.

4fd3198fc3f3ca24d8f55751e8aeeba9.jpg

I ate rabbit quite a bit as a kid, I was death on those suckers. And we always ate what we killed. Nowadays, I have it once every 3 or 4 years or so.

My grandfather, now long deceased, and his brothers hunted rabbits with sticks back in the depression times. That was their only readily available meat source, as things were quite tight financially as I understand.

Reactions: Tunadog and ghost80
I’ve actually never had it before. Never had the opportunity. I’d certainly give it a try though.

I ate rabbit quite a bit as a kid, I was death on those suckers. And we always ate what we killed. Nowadays, I have it once every 3 or 4 years or so.

My grandfather, now long deceased, and his brothers hunted rabbits with sticks back in the depression times. That was their only readily available meat source, as things were quite tight financially as I understand.

I still use a long, old stick to kill rabbits.
Mine says: R E M I N G T O N 5 1 4 on the side.

What about wood piles. Any of you guys have a pile of wood? Those are neat. You can do a lot with a pile of wood. You can stack it and I stack it. There are usually bugs and stuff in them. You can look at the pile. You can burn some of the wood, but then your pile is smaller.
Just no end to what you can do with a pile of wood.

Reactions: naturalbornhawk
I had to growing up. My dad raised them. Thakfully he stopped. I hated those varmints dead or alive.

We ate some yesterday for Easter. My brothers and I go rabbit hunting every year the weekend before the Super Bowl. CSB

How do they taste?

It sounds like rabbits are food for poors.

There are rabbits EVERYWHERE in Maryland...I think they outnumber squirrels now. I ran one over in 2010 because it ran in front of my car when I was driving home from fishing.

CSB.

What does rabbit taste like?

What about wood piles. Any of you guys have a pile of wood? Those are neat. You can do a lot with a pile of wood. You can stack it and I stack it. There are usually bugs and stuff in them. You can look at the pile. You can burn some of the wood, but then your pile is smaller.
Just no end to what you can do with a pile of wood.

firewood5.jpeg

Long ago people would put out rabbit gums (sp). These were wooden boxes that had a trap door. Guys would go out early in the morning and check their traps

Long ago people would put out rabbit gums (sp). These were wooden boxes that had a trap door. Guys would go out early in the morning and check their traps
Snares as well. The trick to a good snare set is location and arrangement of material (piles of wood) to create a natural corridor into the snare. Just knowing how to make a good snare won't do.

Just had pasta and rabbit sauce for Easter dinner. Fancy Italian dish, cooked up by an actual Italian. Along with a reserve bottle wine from Italy that runs for $80-100/bottle if you can find it here (she gets stuff like that from her dad when he visits).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT