ADVERTISEMENT

Who on HROT eats rabbit?

Rabbit is served in many high end restaurants. I have eaten rabbit in Paris and in Barcelona. Maybe you haven't eaten it because it is not offered by McDonalds or Applebee's. ;)

I haven't eaten it because I don't have any reason to.

I'll bet you bragged about how you cook it better back home on your fancy grill.

images

Reactions: Big_Palooka
What about wood piles. Any of you guys have a pile of wood? Those are neat. You can do a lot with a pile of wood. You can stack it and I stack it. There are usually bugs and stuff in them. You can look at the pile. You can burn some of the wood, but then your pile is smaller.
Just no end to what you can do with a pile of wood.

e5ef79b90c174694bf9b098740cbe5c8.jpg

How do they taste?

It sounds like rabbits are food for poors.

There are rabbits EVERYWHERE in Maryland...I think they outnumber squirrels now. I ran one over in 2010 because it ran in front of my car when I was driving home from fishing.

CSB.

Farmed rabbits which I had as a kid (a grand uncle had a small rabbit farm as his retirement hobby) and the only kind you can get at restaurants taste EXACTLY like chicken. The old proverb that everything tastes like chicken is false. Alligator and crocodile taste like pork, specifically pork chop and pork tenderloin. Frog Legs taste like a weird but delicious combo of chicken and scallops. Iguana tastes more like thoroughly cooked well done domesticated duck (so not the Rare and medium rare I prefer in domesticated duck) but is somewhat in between well cooked duck and well cooked chicken. Turtle tastes like a weird combo (but still delicious) of beef and chicken with the freshwater snapping turtle (technically a terrapin and not a turtle) you get in New Orleans tasting closer to a dark meat chicken but still slightly “off” and beefy while the saltwater Green Turtle you get in the Caymans and some other parts of the Caribbean tasting more towards veal just slightly beefier. But farmed rabbits...they 100% taste exactly like chicken. You won’t be “fooled” because the parts and bones look different than chicken but the taste is exactly the same.

So that’s why I never get it. Because it tastes exactly like chicken but costs 5x or more as much. Especially at Publix. Rabbit typically goes for $12-18 per pound. Meanwhile you can get chicken thighs on sale for as cheap as $0.99 a pound. There’s no reason to overpay so much for what is essentially the same product.

I’m sure wild rabbit would be gamier and taste different than chicken but the farmed stuff doesn’t. Now hare, if you’re in an area that has it, is completely different from rabbit both wild and farmed even though they’re closely related and look similar when alive. But hare is blood red meat closer to beef than chicken.

Here is what uncooked farmed rabbit looks like

082584-air-chilled-whole-rabbit-275-3-lb--m34283-original.jpg

Here’s what wild rabbit skinned looks like, darker but not too much different than dark meat chicken

Wild_Meat_April17_42_rabbit_web_1024x1024.jpg

and here’s what a wild hare carcass looks like

raw-skinned-hare-PFP93T.jpg

Last edited:
For further edification here’s what a hare tenderloin/“saddle” looks like cooked

maxresdefault.jpg

And here’s what a rabbit tenderloin/saddle looks like cooked

Rabbit-3-lg.jpg

I knew a guy in rural Virginia who raised rabbits. He would brag he could jar/can 50 of them in an hour.

Rabbit is iffy... rabbit in a jar sounds awful.

I ate rabbit quite a bit as a kid, I was death on those suckers. And we always ate what we killed. Nowadays, I have it once every 3 or 4 years or so.

My grandfather, now long deceased, and his brothers hunted rabbits with sticks back in the depression times. That was their only readily available meat source, as things were quite tight financially as I understand.
Growing up a lot of people put out rabbit gums (sp) to trap rabbits. All it was a as a wooden box with a door and you would put carrots or-something inside and the rabbit would trip it and the door would shut.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
For further edification here’s what a hare tenderloin/“saddle” looks like cooked

maxresdefault.jpg

And here’s what a rabbit tenderloin/saddle looks like cooked

Rabbit-3-lg.jpg
One of the best meals I ever ate was a wild rabbit at a hotel restaurant in Chartres, France. Was cooked perfectly and covered in a sauce made of locally grown berries.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
This guy caught rabbits. By hand.

bradbanks.jpg

Brad Banks grew up running in the area's thick muck, eating sugar cane and chasing rabbits. "You've got to be on your toes to catch those rabbits," said Banks.

So did I. I as soon as we had snow we’d track them to their den and grab them out by hand. Wild rabbits are so full of fleas I felt sorry for them. They are good to eat though and also fun to shoot. Sometimes when you hit them they’ll launch into the air.

Reactions: Tunadog
One of the best meals I ever ate was a wild rabbit at a hotel restaurant in Chartres, France. Was cooked perfectly and covered in a sauce made of locally grown berries.

America’s food rules are incredibly stupid. You can get all the wild seafood you want at restaurants, but you can only eat farmed birds and mammals. I’d eat wild game all the time if it was easily accessible (And no, I have nothing against hunting, I’ve just never done it and have no gun skills other than whatever you’d pick up from NES Duck Hunt. I only grew up fishing and shrimping, not hunting.)

Last edited:
Reactions: lucas80 and torbee
How did it pair with Busch Light? I’m sure the waiter still laughs at the uncouth American in Crocs complimenting the chef.

Yes.

Trapped some wild cottontails in my yard. Good, but very lean. Do it every so often to keep the population down.

This year planning on going snowshoe hare hunting.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Rabbit is served in many high end restaurants. I have eaten rabbit in Paris and in Barcelona. Maybe you haven't eaten it because it is not offered by McDonalds or Applebee's. ;)
We had it as part of a tasting menu at a restaurant in Boston a few years ago. Kinda fatty, like OP's mom.

I lost 30 minutes of my life today listening to a co-worker talk about how they had chicken and rabbits growing up. No store bought meat for them. Rabbit stew. Roast rabbit. Fried rabbit. I don’t know if he tried the kind that Daffy Duck talked about. Fricaseed?
It’s absolutely riveting. Then he started talking about a wood pile. I don’t know if it’s his wood pile, or a neighbor’s wood pile.
In Italy I eat a lot of rabbit and wild Boar (not Op's mom).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT