ADVERTISEMENT

Who ran HWC prior to Perry?

Hey, Tarp - who was coaching the HWC when you were - Mourlam?

Also - re. Mike Duroe: he has been involved with the HWC for many years, but I don't know if he still is. He's a great guy and extremely knowledgeable. He loves the Hawks even though he wrestled at Drake.
This is going to sound odd, but I don't really remember, because it was an admin role more than a coaching role. I want to say Dresser, and maybe Mourlam for a bit as well. We all worked out with the NCAA team, so Gable obviously led those workouts (along with Mark Johnson and later Zalesky). Gable dictated the few occasions when we had separate HWC workouts or team meetings, and led those. He reviewed our individual goals and plans with us, and he created our individual strategies for peaking and dieting. But he did not accompany us to the freestyle tourneys except Nationals or WTT, and even then he'd come on the second day. At tourneys we were all in the corner at various times for everyone else: Dresser, Barry, Lewboo, whoever was not wrestling at the time--very informal. Duroe was around occasionally as a workout partner, especially during summer camps, but not with HWC.

My limited knowledge of how things work - Perry is a great hire. But, if Terry wants to tour/travel/ with HRC members he should trade spots with Perry. Hawks have to continue to recruit better. We need Terry - or our top Hawkeye assistant - on the road recruiting - not in the corner of the HRC member. Anyway - Go Hawks!!

My limited knowledge of how things work - Perry is a great hire. But, if Terry wants to tour/travel/ with HRC members he should trade spots with Perry. Hawks have to continue to recruit better. We need Terry - or our top Hawkeye assistant - on the road recruiting - not in the corner of the HRC member. Anyway - Go Hawks!!

He is on the road...but don't you think advertisement counts too? Terry Brands in Gilman's corner at Worlds is a reminder what can happen at Iowa and pretty quickly if you buy in. Plus...Gilman is his guy. Perry will have his guys.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT