ADVERTISEMENT

Who would be a good hire for Jensen to go after?

We should be going after a younger head coach. Maybe Jan is more of an “interim” status..
She's not that old is she? She could easily coach a decade or more if she wants. I thought she was 57-59 and that's not terribly old. Also, she's one of the best at her expertise. Much worse choices to be made and few better based on what she's done for this program already imo.

She's not that old is she? She could easily coach a decade or more if she wants. I thought she was 57-59 and that's not terribly old. Also, she's one of the best at her expertise. Much worse choices to be made and few better based on what she's done for this program already imo.

Reactions: Torg
Might have thought about Kate Martin, had she not made a WNBA roster. Would be an excellent recruiter and assistant coach and not miss a beat keeping with Iowa’s system. Likely would make more money than as a WNBA player also. Don’t know how endorsements would work for her.

Zion Sanders
Currently serving as Assistant Coach/Recruiting Coordinator at Towson. Previously Graduate Assistant at Tennessee.

Last edited:
Reactions: jockos
Might have thought about Kate Martin, had she not made a WNBA roster. Would be an excellent recruiter and assistant coach and not miss a beat keeping with Iowa’s system. Likely would make more money than as a WNBA player also. Don’t know how endorsements would work for her.
Kate would be an excellent assistant coach after her playing days are over. In the WNBA that might not be long.

Reactions: MplsHawk
I’m guessing all of the coaches will bump forward one spot leaving the lowest coaching spot available. This could be Kate’s foot in the door. Seasons are at different times of the year ….it has happened in the past that a WNBA player was also a assistant coach during the WNBA’s off season!

Former Hawkeye and McDonald's All American Lindsay Richards was an assistant coach at Pittsburgh from 2010 to 2018. Though I'm not sure if she continued coaching at high level after that.

After some digging I found out this interesting tidbit. The Richards family in fact has quite a bit of history with the University of Pittsburgh, even though Lindsay graduated high school in the Chicago suburbs.

Reactions: INXS83
I honestly am not sure who held what responsibility in regard to position coaching on the Iowa staff, I know Caitlin said Lisa coached her very hard so while we know Jan will have the bigs covered I would hope either the current staff already has guard coaching covered or that will be the direction Jan goes for her hire.

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion

Despite no track record to support my hunch, I have a feeling that KM will be an excellent coach some day and hopefully it is for the Hawkeyes.

Sound like Jan has a few names in mind, Sounded like having the chops on the recruiting front may be priority one for any potential candidate.

Reactions: amahawk
Zion Sanders
Currently serving as Assistant Coach/Recruiting Coordinator at Towson. Previously Graduate Assistant at Tennessee.
I really like Zion Sanders. She was always a locker room favorite and fits the culture. I believe her experiences at Tennessee and Towson have prepared her well for what Jan described (recruiting and strategy) for the position.
I am hoping for her.

I honestly am not sure who held what responsibility in regard to position coaching on the Iowa staff
PG = Abby
Wings (shooters) = Raina
Bigs = Jan

IMO Raina should be the #2. But Abbi would have a good case to make as well. I think there would be a lot of value in elevating an African American woman. I think that if we don’t promote Raina, someone else will get her — and soon. That would be a big loss for the program IMO.

Kachine Alexander pivoted from coaching recently to get into real estate about a year ago, so she may not be on the market anymore but she had a respectable tenure as Assistant Coach at JMU and FAU. She was the face of the program back when I was in school, around ‘09 / ‘10. Bluder just this season mentioned her as one of the best rebounding guards she’d ever seen. Had a couple triple doubles as well. She could perhaps replace Abby if she were promoted (maybe Raina?).

Tangela Smith, another Hawkeye legend (1998 B1G POY), is a AC at Northwestern. She may be looking to head up a program herself by this point but might consider it as well. She is a post coach so she could replace Jan in that sense (though idk if their styles are the same) and is farther along in her career as well so the AC level would be fitting. But she may not want to play against her current school every year.

If Abby were promoted to AC, Tania could conceivably take over as the lead PG coach (tho it may be a bit early for that), which would leave open her role. Her role might be more suitable for someone like Zion Sanders or perhaps Jamie Brandt (neé Printy), another former Iowa stand out guard from about a decade ago IIRC whom, last I heard, was the HC for GBB at IC Liberty (and previously Linn-Mar).

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT