ADVERTISEMENT

Whoopsie-daisy....

Do we know yet what caused the explosion? It's possible that the regulations would have prevented it, and it's possible that it would have happened anyway.

Do we know yet what caused the explosion? It's possible that the regulations would have prevented it, and it's possible that it would have happened anyway.

One thing we do know: regulations reduce the risks of major disasters.
No, we may never know if they'd have prevented this specific disaster. But we know risks go up when there are no regulations in place that are followed. And this doesn't mean "Big Government Regulations", explicitly - many regulations are Industry Standard, or follow international standards for safety, which are ADOPTED by governments.

I've never understood Republicans hatred of regulations. I bet if the Cheeto lived down stream from a Dow chemical plant and had to drink the water from that river he might want some in place. But I think this is just Cheeto's hatred of all things Obama after all he has no ideology. Hell, if Obama had found a cure for cancer he'd undo it.

But, but......regulations are always good!

No, we may never know if they'd have prevented this specific disaster. But we know risks go up when there are no regulations in place that are followed. And this doesn't mean "Big Government Regulations", explicitly - many regulations are Industry Standard, or follow international standards for safety, which are ADOPTED by governments.
Another way to 100% guarantee that they never happen is to regulate them into oblivion, just shut them down.

One example just about everyone here knows about is the NEW anti-spill gas cans. I usually spill more than I get in the tank and they are much worse than the old designs. We can attest that government overreach can make matters worse, and make our lives more hellish due to a stupid regulation. Now take that and multiply it by 1,000. Now you know what industry puts up with.

Last edited:
I agree that some regulations are a good thing. All I'm saying is that before we blame this specific disaster on the rollback of regulations, let's find out what caused it and whether those regulations would have prevented it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT