ADVERTISEMENT

Houston police shoot a 1-year-old child in the head while pursuing a robbery suspect

NDallasRuss

HR Legend
Dec 5, 2002
Whoopsie Daisy!

"The shooting took place March 3 when Daisha Smalls was pumping gas and she saw police cars and heard sirens, she said in a news conference Tuesday. Her son, Legend, was in the back seat of the vehicle. Smalls said a man then got into her vehicle and told her to give him the car."

""I wouldn't give him my car because I let him know that I have a child in my car and that I would not leave my car without my son," Smalls said through tears. Smalls said she was sitting in the car when the man jumped in and police were right behind them.

"Before I knew what happened they were already shooting at my car and I was just scared for my son's life," Smalls said."

You don’t think they should know what they’re shooting at?

Did it ever occur to you that they may not have realized there was a child in the stolen car? Sure, it’s common sense to exercise great caution when drawing a firearm but let’s get down to it. The suspects knowingly took a vehicle with a child in it. In my eyes, the blame ultimately lies with the criminals. Police officers aren’t automatons and the human factor always comes with risk but I guess given current public opinion these days, it’s not a popular opinion to have.

Did it ever occur to you that they may not have realized there was a child in the stolen car? Sure, it’s common sense to exercise great caution when drawing a firearm but let’s get down to it. The suspects knowingly took a vehicle with a child in it. In my eyes, the blame ultimately lies with the criminals. Police officers aren’t automatons and the human factor always comes with risk but I guess given current public opinion these days, it’s not a popular opinion to have.
Normal departmental policy and LEO firearm training is that they must identify their target before firing. That said, they might have identified the perpetrator(s) and still accidentally shot the bystander, which is a different set of circumstances.

I agree, but also in this situation it doesn't seem so black and white. If she was in the car like she said she was, that is insane for the police to fire into the car. If she wasn't in the car like the police said, then it could seem more accidental. Still, the police didn't do due diligence making sure that she, and anyone else who could have been in the car were safe before firing at the suspect.

Reactions: WadeWilson

Of course they didn’t know - that’s the point, Lethal force for a carjacking seems like a bad idea, especially if you don’t know who else is in the car. That certainly appears to be bad and irresponsible police work.

When tragedy occurs, it’s possible for multiple people to be at fault.

I feel terrible for those cops and what they are mentally going through right now. I feel worse for the mother and child. So many more details will come out but the narrative will already be set.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
And yet they volunteer to be paid to be a cop. Every single one of them.
Yeah, to try their best to serve and protect. You do realize that those cops were doing their best to protect the woman and community. Unfortunately, things went array and something happened that you couldn’t pay cops enough to do on purpose.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
Probably,.. but I don't think we pay cops enough to guarantee that level of intelligence...

And I'm sure if the one-year-old in the car was yours, you'd have the same "aw, shucks" response. Lol. GTFO

Reactions: BelemNole
If the kid is going to steal he's gotta deal with the consequences.

Reading the story, not just the headline...the suspect, who was being chased, jumped into what appeared to be an unoccupied car and refused to drop his weapon. Police then opened fire, obviously unaware that a child was also in the vehicle.

Terrible tragedy? Yes, absolutely. Proof that police are bad, etc? No, not necessarily. As someone else already wisely said...let's get some more facts prior to reacting and tsk tsking anyone other than the person most at fault here...the criminal.

Shut the fück up.

It’s okay to question policing, you know.

No kidding? It’s also ok to blame criminals for creating the situation. In fact, they probably should share the majority of the blame. I’m just surprised it actually has to be said. Like I alluded to previously, due to recent public opinion, we’ve become very quick to blame the police and rightfully so in many cases but I’d also hate to have their job. Given the high crime rates and exposure, these incidents are inevitable taking into account the human factor.

I think I’m pretty damn aware of the shortcomings of police. Perhaps a little bit more than most in here when it comes to the system.

No kidding? It’s also ok to blame criminals for creating the situation. In fact, they probably should share the majority of the blame. I’m just surprised it actually has to be said. Like I alluded to previously, due to recent public opinion, we’ve become very quick to blame the police and rightfully so in many cases but I’d also hate to have their job. Given the high crime rates and exposure, these incidents are inevitable taking into account the human factor.

I think I’m pretty damn aware of the shortcomings of police. Perhaps a little bit more than most in here when it comes to the system.
It doesn't have to be said. That's kind of the point. You think you're making some salient point? Really?

It is the most basic of gun safety rules. You do not fire unless you have a line of sight of where that bullet will go. Otherwise, innocent people may get hurt and killed due to irresponsible gun use.
At a minimum, those officers should no longer carry weapons in the field.

Some on this board are just a little too dull to understand the great complexity and nuance that Sal uses in his posts. You guys just don't get it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT