ADVERTISEMENT

Whose rival is worse, ISU or UF?

FSU has more NC in half the time. One could say the crocs are our bitch now.

Sure, football only. But FSU is chasing a baseball and 2 basketball titles. FSU has 19 total titles, uf has 47. One could say that only talking football, but holistically saying that would be wrong.

Sure, football only. But FSU is chasing a baseball and 2 basketball titles. FSU has 19 total titles, uf has 47. One could say that only talking football, but holistically saying that would be wrong.
Of course football. Nothing else really matters but sure uf has been around 2x a long.

Of course football. Nothing else really matters but sure uf has been around 2x a long.

Funny, I remember the last round of FSU claiming foundational school to backdate when the school started. I agree FSU is both younger as well as having less seasons. Before the creative rewriting of history, FSU was also a woman's college first, then FSU later. Again, rewriting and backdating. To me, that always smacked of little brother behavior to predate uf.

But, IMO, to make someone your bitch, you own them everywhere, not just in 1 sport. And in this discussion, completely disagree, all sports matter.

I don't think all Iowans are the same. I think Iowa and Iowa State fans are both dramatic and petty and snobbish about the rivalry and the people who care most about it get into really weird arguments that have nothing to do with them. Like which Iowa am I from? I went to working class parish subsidized Catholic school through eighth grade in Iowa's Detroit (Waterloo) and then a year at a normal public school in Cedar Falls then red state rural public (i.e overtly Protestant) high school. Then I went to the liberal arts school and now live in the big city. But professionally as a child I spent a lot of time yukking it up in small towns all over, did Boy Scouts when it was not okay to be gay, and spent zero time anywhere were anyone would have suggested something like Vassar or Grinnell to me.
I mean at the end of the day, the fanbases of most large Midwest public universities have more in common than they have differences.

That said, Iowa State has a disproportionate number of freaks and geeks than Iowa, primarily because it seems to get more engineer and band dork types of students than Iowa based on apocryphal observation.

Funny, I remember the last round of FSU claiming foundational school to backdate when the school started. I agree FSU is both younger as well as having less seasons. Before the creative rewriting of history, FSU was also a woman's college first, then FSU later. Again, rewriting and backdating. To me, that always smacked of little brother behavior to predate uf.

But, IMO, to make someone your bitch, you own them everywhere, not just in 1 sport. And in this discussion, completely disagree, all sports matter.
Exactly how is it rewriting? FSU is and always will be 50% younger than UF. Give us time.. We are just getting going.

I'd say most would agree FSU is the "little brother" based on length of school history, but based on results, we are pretty close. We also do more with less $. BUT, uf calls themselves "the Harvard of the south."
Do more? Maybe in football back in the 90s but in this century in men's sports Florida has 2 football national championships, 2 basketball national championships with a runner up in 2000 and another final 4, a baseball national championship with 3 runner
up and 6 track and field national championships (8 runner up)

FSU has 1 football national championship and 3 track (2 runner up)

Florida has done more in softball too but if you're talking about women's soccer then yes, FSU does much more

Do more? Maybe in football back in the 90s but in this century in men's sports Florida has 2 football national championships, 2 basketball national championships with a runner up in 2000 and another final 4, a baseball national championship with 3 runner
up and 6 track and field national championships (8 runner up)

FSU has 1 football national championship and 3 track (2 runner up)

Florida has done more in softball too but if you're talking about women's soccer then yes, FSU does much more

Couple notes, do more with less has to do with uf being funded significantly more by the state legislature than FSU is as well as FSU isn't permitted to have a stand alone engineering school.
I am talking the last 50+ years. Since FSU become relevant, not just a last 20 snapshot which is what you are pointing to. Considering the disparate funding as well as length of history, FSU has done much more with less. Less money and time.

Exactly how is it rewriting? FSU is and always will be 50% younger than UF. Give us time.. We are just getting going. <-- this is exactly what I am saying.

Look, I agree. FSU is a new school and wasn't named FSU until after WW2. FSU would tell you we are wrong, FSU and read @goldmom 's post earlier. Both are making the case that the foundational schools that eventually changed and evolved should give FSU a longer history than uf by @3 years. Ergo, IMO, spinning and rewriting the history (see also Tampa Bay Times article about changing the age of the school). Even Businessinsider is taking the "heritage" information as FSU being the oldest school in Florida.

Last edited:
Reactions: ericram
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT